• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Way Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey, Hell Raider :wink:

I found the answer to your problem: it's because you have no regions. You see, waygates don't actually teleport units to each other. They teleport units to a region. What mapmakers do is they place these regions on the waygates, so that when you teleport it looks as though you've teleported to a different waygate. So, here's what you can do:

• Create two regions; one at the first waygate, and the other at the second waygate.
• Check both of the waygates' 'Way Gate Active' checkboxes to activate them.
• Then, once the checkbox has been checked, the grayed out tab next to the checkbox ("Destination") becomes available. Click on it. A drop-down menu should appear listing all the possible regions. When you choose a region from this menu, it will set the teleport destination to that region. Once done, click OK.
• Do the same for the other waygate.
• Presto! You've done it.

Hope this helped! :wink:

Level 1
you dont know how to make a waygate work!?....if you dont know....first you make a region....then select the waygate and chooses the 'waygate destination' and pick your region...:)

Level 7
Lord Hyperion, I think you posted via 'New Reply' instead of 'New Topic' :wink: Might want to be very careful when doing that. Please don't hijack other people's threads.

In answer to Hell Raider's second question, no; you can't modify the destination region for a waygate. However, there is a sneakier alternative way to do it. You just use some triggering to redirect the unit using the 'Unit - Enters Region' event and the 'Unit - Move unit' commands. Here, I'll provide an example:

The first thing you'd need to do when wanting the units to go to an alternative destination is actually deactivate the waygate, but make it look as though it's still active. This can be quite tricky, but here's a way I think you can do it:

• Actions
    • Unit - Remove Waygate ability from (Your Waygate) <gen>
What this does is it removes the waygate's ability to teleport. The actual ability really is called "Waygate ability." You can add it to the waygate again with triggers whenever you want, so it's not a permanent removal.
Okay, now with the actual teleportation:

• Events
    • Unit - A unit enters (Your Region) <gen>
  • Conditions
    • AlternativeDest Equal to True
  • Actions
    • Unit - Move (Entering unit) instantly to (Center of (Your Other Region) <gen>)
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Entering unit) using Abilities\Spells\Human\MassTeleport\MassTeleportTarget.mdl
    • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
    • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Entering unit)) to (Center of (Your Other Region) <gen>) over 2.00 seconds
Just a brief explanation of the variable I'm using in condition, 'AlternativeDest' is a boolean variable I made which has a default setting of false. It basically means 'Has the waygate's alternative destination been enabled or not?". Just in case you want to know, you can make custom variables in the variable editor, located in the trigger editor. Just press Ctrl + B.

This basically "copies" what a real waygate would do with triggers. It works best with single units, though; I haven't tried it with multiple, but it should work.

Level 7
haha, yeah Hyperion, you were not happy when Odysseus stole YOUR heard :p

This seems to work, I am not too good at triggers and I was wondering, using this method instead of it instantly moving them is there a way to make them enter the region then it comes up on the screen "teleport to which region" and say you write "-region1" (or if you chose elsewhere "-region2") it would take you there? Or is that too complicated?

Level 7
Of course you can do that, Hell Raider :xxd:

You'd use a dialog, dialog buttons, and variables to match them. It's quite a long process, so I think it would be best to direct you to a proper tutorial guiding you how to make and set a dialog. Here's a good one: Click. It covers the basics of making and setting a dialog well. Once you've read and fully understood that and have practiced it, perhaps you might want to check out this more advanced tutorial on dialog buttons here: Click.

After you know how to make a dialog, then, if you haven't already figured it out, I could help you implement a dialog into the teleport system you want.

Of course, I understand some of these tutorials may be hard to understand, so, please, if you encounter any trouble or have any questions, come ask me, I'm more than willing to help out. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.