• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Water pathing... Gone!? [Fixed. Solution posted.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I just finished doing some changes to my RPG, and I felt like giving it a test run since I havent in a while. So I did, and then I noticed my units (ground units that arent supposed to swim) running through the water. (It is a rolling shore). I remember back a while ago that its the depth of the water that counts, but apparently I did something that changed that. I went back into World Editor, brought up the pathing map, and turned off the viewing of water. I kept making a pool deeper and deeper, much farther than it should be before it turns purple and ground units cant go there. Nothing but the unbuildable blue.

Any ideas what I did wrong, and what I can do to fix it? (Without making ugly cliffs or tons of pathing blockers?)

Last edited:
Level 5
I found the problem, I haven't really looked at the MiscData.txt file contents yet, but I found the problem. If your like me, here is the problem.

In MiscData scroll down to this part:
[Water]
// Depth-based colors
// The water plane is vertex colored based on the water "depth": the distance
// from the water plane to the ground. These values define the colors for two
// distinct ranges: "shallow" (MinDepth to DeepLevel) and "deep" (DeepLevel to MaxDepth).
// where the color is found by interpolating between the corresponding colors given
// in TerrainArt/Water.slk.
//

MinDepth=10
DeepLevel=64
MaxDepth=72

// DeepLevelPathing defines the depth below which water
// is considered "deep" for pathing and placement rules.

DeepLevelPathing=10000000000

// WavesDepth defines the depth that terrain vertices need to be below the
// water before they will be considered "under" water for wave generation

WavesDepth=25

Simply edit the Deep Level Pathing from 100000000 to 64, and it should work right. Hope this helped someone!

Level 32
Indeed: the the results of your experiments are very enlightening.

The sticky thread MiscData.txt : Terraining "Hac|<" is open for posting.

It may be helpful if you would take some time to further detail your second post in this thread and post in in the MiscData.txt thread. It would be (in essence) a "mini-tutorial" that would further describe the configuration of that file for map makers who wish to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.