• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

warhammer 40k terrain ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
i need some help on ideas for my map. its based on ultra marines defending a post against the necrons so the engineers arive to build the giant robot thing whose name i forgot cause i havent played it in awhile. now since its based off a desert theme i need some ideas on the landscape and stuff.

Level 34
Use desert themed stuff? I would use maybe some black citadel. Wasn't it all gray? (I play DoW: Dark Crusade)

Level 4
well in the last campaign when your the marines and your building the giant robot thing werent they in the desert or something?

Level 8
In Dark Crusade I don't recall the Ultramarines. Perhaps your thinking of Winter Assault where the Cadian 412th regiment of the Imperial Guard and Chaplain Varnus' Ultramarines try to fix the Titan Dominatus while being attacked by Orks, Chaos, and Necrons. That was on Lorn V, an ice world. So you should use a snowy tileset. (Lordaeron Winter, Northrend, or Icecrown Glacier)

Level 4
yea! thats it haha in dark crusade there has nothing to do with the ultramarines.... sorry i'm not up-to-date on my warhammer 40k atm

Level 25
If you don't plan on adding custom tiles, then maybe Dalaran Ruins would work pretty well. It looks dark, creepy, and fits the Warhammer style best out of all tilesets I think.
As far as models go, I highly recommend you download custom skins and models for those.
~Craka_J

Level 4
yes but i'm just saying that its not the dark crusade i'm talkign about winter assault when they make the robot. and i did check it and it was a winter tile set

Level 34
I still seem to remember a gray world. It's been a while since Winter Assault.

-off topic- I can't wait for DoW2!!

Level 8
i need some help on ideas for my map. its based on ultra marines defending a post against the necrons so the engineers arive to build the giant robot thing whose name i forgot cause i havent played it in awhile. now since its based off a desert theme i need some ideas on the landscape and stuff.

Landscape:

Desert... what kind?

There are wastelands - which are rocky, semi-sandy with dead stuff, tumbleweeds etc. Then there are seas of sand kind of desert.

Two ideas from maps I made long, long ago.

The first is from an single player RPG for my nephew - it is a single map with several "terrains" to it Focus only on the sandy bits for your needs - the view is from a salt lined watering hole (picture 1). It moves from lush grass to grassy soil to sand. further in to the "desert" I have a city/town that is being buried by dunes. (picture 2)

All sand with few doodads is a difficult thing to pass off. The great empty makes for difficulty in pathing for games.

The last two are of the Midlands - A landscape that is the process of dying.

Picture 3 midland heights which was once a fertile area, now becoming wasteland

Picture 4 is the river, which has shrank and has green trees and a bit of grass close to it.

Again these are very old images from maps I no longer have way back when I was first starting out. Perhaps they can give you some ideas.

Attachments

• Oasis.JPG
    Oasis.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Dunes.jpg
    Dunes.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5,637
  • Midland heights.jpg
    Midland heights.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 510
  • Midland gorge.jpg
    Midland gorge.jpg