• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Ward having an aura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So i would like to put a Aura on ward but doesn't seem to work.

Is there something in the editor i can do to make it so wards can have auras? if not what would be the best way to do it via triggers. Have a dummy unit spawned where it is with the aura? but then i need to track if the ward dies before its timed life etc. and keep track of what dummy unit goes along with which ward..

Level 39
I don't see why this should be, but best guess is it's because the Ward unit has the 'ward' classification which removes the command card. You could try removing that classification from the ward unit and disabling its movement in some other way.

Level 13
yeah i think thats what i may have to do.. whats the best way to remove the dummy unit if the ward is killed early? do a unitgroup within 50 range of point matching dummy unit and then remove? Any better way? there is probably over 100 wards used in an average game, and they often die before their time expires.

Edit:
Ok I just made a peasant be targeted as a ward and have the ward and summoned classification and it more or less acts just like a ward. Also it can have an aura and it will show up on other units. What is different about the actual ward unit that makes this not possible? there must be something different in the object data of the ward unit not letting auras work on it..?
Nevermind, i made the peasant spawn from the ward item and its because the unit is invisible that it wont put out the ward aura..pretty obvious..lol - Any easy way around that?

Last edited:
Level 12
Nevermind, i made the peasant spawn from the ward item and its because the unit is invisible that it wont put out the ward aura..pretty obvious..lol - Any easy way around that?
You can change in "gameplay constants" so that invisibile units still provide auras (Gameplay - Invisible Units Bestow Auras: True/False), or alternatively if you don't want the ward to be invisible, just use another ward ability as the base? Like healing ward or serpent ward.

I think you could even use just any regular summon ability like summon water elemental/quillboar/hawk/bear/etc.?

Level 20
Don't use Sentry Ward as your base spell since that always makes the summoned unit invisible.

Level 13
Well issues are i still need the ward to be inviz, also dont want other units such as heros to be able to give off auras while inviz, so cant change it in the gameplay constants either. probably going to have to use a fake unit with code for it i guess then?

Level 4
Having similar problem.
Auras work on wards (at least on a healing ward) but the icons do not show. Removing "ward" shows the aura icons on the unit. Either way the aura art does not show. Why exactly is this?
e: maybe has to do with certain models like the flags and wards not having attachment points for aura gfx?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Use a unit indexer and simply link the Ward and Dummy unit together.

Cast trigger would be something like this:
Create 1 Ward at target point of ability being cast
Set cv = custom value of last created unit
Set YourSpellWard[cv] = last created unit
Create 1 Dummy Unit Ward at target point of ability being cast
Set YourSpellDummy[cv] = last created unit

Then when a unit dies:
If triggering unit type = YourWard
Set cv = custom value of triggering unit
Remove YourSpellDummy[cv] from the game

Obviously cleaning up the leaks and what not

Status