• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Warcraft MORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33

banner2-png.264856

._..
I. Description
Melee Online Role Playing Game (MORPG) is a concept to turn melee maps into ORPG maps. You will have specific role in the middle of melee wars: as a worker (in-depth explanation ahead). The project itself will be a series of melee maps turned into MORPGs. But for now I'm using blizzard map named "Cold Heart". I will be using it until the core systems are stable enough and contains enough contents. In the future, I have no doubt that the game will feature its own world. environment, techtree, and even more reliable AI system.

.__..
II. GamePlay

You will play as a worker, depending on your faction race: as a peasant, peon, acolyte, or a wisp. In short, you are supposed to do anything in order to let your faction take victorious. However, it won't be easy and there are a lot of things to do. At first you can start by collecting gold/lumber to help your faction starting up. If you are confident already with your character's strength, you can join the army to raid neutral creeps or enemy base to get even more XPs. You can also work on some quests given by your faction. Completing quests can give you personal gold and lumber and/or merits or/and even special items. You can use your personal finance to buy equipment or even to build powerful defensive tower to help your faction winning the war (remember that winning the war will be very rewarding).

.____..
III. Game Contents
1. Save/load system [Done]

I'm implementing one of our newest invention from the spell/code section, data synchronization, into the the save/load system, which is known as codeless save/load system. In short, you don't need to type in any code and the progress will be saved & loaded automatically. There are 2 types of save data: singleplayer and multiplayer. Singleplayer data can't be used in multiplayer games, but multiplayer data can be used in both mode. Each account can save up to 5 characters at once.

2. XP system [Done]

As expected from RPG maps, it features experience and leveling system. You can gain XP by doing your peasantry jobs, like lumbering, gold mining, and constructing & repairing buildings. Not only that. You can also join the army rank and get involved in the war and collect more XP by killing enemy units. You will get shared XP bonus if your faction killed something, but if only you contributed some damages to the target. You will surely get some bonus XP if you landed the killing blow.

There is limit of 100 levels. You get 2 attribute points each time you leveled up and 1 skill point for every 5 levels. Attribute points can be used to improve your status (max hp/mp, damage, attack speed, armor, move speed, & regeneration) [not yet completely implemented]. While skill points can be used to learn new skill or to level up already learned skill.

3. Quest system [In progress]

There's also quest system given by your faction at random moment. There are several types of quests. For instance, gathering quest: collect certain amount of resource or even a hunting quest. You will be given rewards: personal gold & lumber, merits, XP, and even items if you complete a quest; You don't get considerably too much XP by doing those tasks, but you will get a lot of it if your faction win the battle. You will get some extra XP too even if you are defeated. Don't worry, even tho it's slow the XP system is collective, means you can save your progress and continue it on the next games (gold, lumber, etc will also be saved). You see, if you have higher level worker you will give significantly more chances for your faction to win.

It features a lot more things. I have made in-depth explanation about every single feature here. I will try to include those in this thread later.

.___..
IV. Download, Testing, & Feedback
I will regularly upload early access versions with expectation to get some feedback. I modified a lot of map's aspect in order to prolong the game time (increase structure health, increase defensive building damage, etc.) and actually I'm not very familiar with melee maps, so hearing some balancing advices from the experts is very expected and highly appreciated.

Lite Version
1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

HD version
HD1.jpg HD3.jpg HD4.jpg HD5.jpg

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Seems like an interesting idea, looking forward to seeing where this goes.
Thank you

Update v0.02:
- Fixed desync and not appearing multiboard bug without local files enabled
- Added mana & hp regen upgrade
- Fixed bug at which hp & mp aren't loaded properly
- Added some extra security measures
- Forgot to revert peon damage from 500. Now it's fixed.
- Now shared XP will not be given if dead

Known issues:
- Damage marking isn't accurate
- Repairing structures sometimes doesn't give XP. The solution for now is to order your character nearby and re-order to repair.

Save load code will be printed for now. I encountered a bug which the produced codes only contain 3 characters yesterday (which breaks the save data) but I couldn't reproduce it within the last several testing. If someone happen to encounter the same bug, please let me know and give me the replay if possible. Thank you a bunch.

DOWNLOAD NOW

San

San

Level 32
Was testing for awhile,
Don't know where to learn a new Skill, or where to join the army rank. :confused:
I can't see the progress bar from my ''researching'' attribute, which is confusing for me.
Also I encountered this:
upload_2017-4-8_20-6-56-png.264771

Was just farming XP with mining, didn't use any speedhack (used camera zooming program tho), or maybe because I'm playing with the ancient 1.24e patch? :eek:
--
Aside from the problem, just wanted to say this is my kind of game. Can't write a proper suggestion because I'm no expert, but I believe this series can be addicting to play upon a proper release, looking forward to it.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-8_20-6-56.png
    upload_2017-4-8_20-6-56.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 950

Kazeon

Level 33
Don't know where to learn a new Skill, or where to join the army rank.
Hehe.. It's not implemented yet ^^
To join the army rank, you just need to join the band when they are attacking creeps or enemy bases. "Joining army rank" is just a connotation of "involved in battles instead of doing peasantry tasks.
However, in future versions when the quest, merit, and rank system have been implemented, you may obtain higher "priority" points after reached certain rank. It means you will be treated equally as the other soldiers.
I can't see the progress bar from my ''researching'' attribute, which is confusing for me.
Will fix it in the next update
Also I encountered this:
I just encountered the same. Will fix it in the next update. You shouldn't have experienced it unless you literally speedhack the game. So it's the system mistake, not yours.
Interesting, I'll play it when I'll test it when I have the time
Thank you

Level 11
Attempted to play a few times but due to it always telling me that I am supposedly speed hacking, it ended quickly. I hope this gets fixed soon so I can test it out to the fullest.

Kazeon

Level 33
Update v0.03:
  • Now upgrade progress bar is displayed
  • Added skill upgrade for harvest and repair skills for each race
  • Added attack speed & move speed attribute upgrade
  • Fixed repairing xp gain bug
  • All workers now have equal starting move speed
  • Research level is now displayed
  • Added anti pause feature for single player mode
  • Fixed faulty speed hack detection bug
  • Speed hack is now allowed in single player mode
  • HP increment reduced from 20 -> 10
  • MP increment reduced from 10 -> 5
  • HP regen increment reduced from 0.1 -> 0.07
  • Damage increment reduced from 2 -> 1
  • XP target multiplier has been increased
  • Added backward compatibility for the save/load system
  • Fixed save/load system message wrong displaying target
  • Fixed lost attribute point when saving (while researching)
  • Fixed wrong saving slot bug when creating new character in multiplayer mode
  • Techtree levels are now adjusted on loading
  • Save code is no longer displayed
  • Code injection is disabled

DOWNLOAD NOW

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Update v0.04:
  • New HD models for all units, heroes, & buildings for all 4 races
  • New HD tiles textures and doodads
  • Now it's not snowy anymore (there are still some polar bears around tho, haven't changed it)
  • Fixed a bug at which skill tech level wasn't loaded properly
  • Added "instant upgrade" feature if your save code got ported to a newer version (allows to spent attribute & skill points instantly)
  • Fixed restore skill tooltips errors

This update focuses on visual enhancements using HD models. That's why the file size swells a lot. If you like the free camera mode, I suggest you to enjoy it while you can. In the next versions, the camera will be locked to your character as I will implement more advance systems. And the updates will be probably stopped for weeks since I'm going to work on some advanced stuffs for the map like talent tree, status bar window, & inventory system. I will also probably enhance the AI so it will be able to build walls. I also have a plan to make custom structure ubersplat system so your faction base will look like a real town with pavements and alike. But... sh.. I forgot to rename the map, it's nothing cold anymore.
Anyway, enjoy the update.

DOWNLOAD NOW (123 MB)

Kazeon

Level 33
I should've implemented the third person camera mode before I uploaded the last update, that was a mistake. In third person mode everything's much more enjoyable. Anyway, here is the shortcut bar design for human race. I will probably lower the XP bar so it won't consume too much view port.

Meanwhile... I'm looking for a modeler/animator to help adding "dead" & "constructing" animation to and fix attachment points of some of building models. If you are interested to help, please let me know.

Attachments

• ShortcutBar.jpg
    ShortcutBar.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
v0.05:
- HD models are removed for now to faster the development
- Added shortcut bar and XP bar
- Implemented a very robust third person camera system with convenient control assists
- Added realistic day night cycle and weather system (sunny, cloudy, rain, & heavy rain)
- Fog mask is disable to maximize RPG experience
- Renamed to "The Ruins" (was Cold Heart)
- Now factions use more distinctive team color (red, blue, cyan, & purple)
- Now all races use the same universal UI (to save some spaces)

For now it can't be played in multiplayer yet as there's still a little desync in third person camera control assist system. It's an easy one but I'm just too lazy to fix it. Playable in patch version 1.26 and above.

P.S. MORPGL stands for MORPG Lite (no HD models)

2-jpg.265384

4-jpg.265385

7-jpg.265387

hd1-jpg.265389

hd3-jpg.265391

hd5-jpg.265393

DOWNLOAD NOW

Kazeon

Level 33
Early five levels are quite monotone. Unless people take their games up with risks, they will turtle as workers :p
Well, some people might find it somewhat sensational and enjoyable to be completely powerless and can only adore those shiny heroes and almighty soldiers from below. When you are so powerless and there are others fighting to protect you and you only need to do your job properly, it has its own satisfaction value: the feeling of being safe. When you are dying, yet the heroes are all caring and heal you or buy you potion, even tho you are so insignificant, it also has its own satisfaction value: the feeling of being cared. And many other experiences you might find in this game. You see it's not that bad to be weak. Of course not everyone has the same perspective and understand those.

But even if you hate of being weak and being shabby of all those feeling cared and protected stuffs, you can take your way to battles and start building your power. And one day you can command your own faction, leading those heroes & soldiers towards victories.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
pic.jpg

Update v0.06:
  • Added partially working inventory system. Atm it supports operations such as:
    • Open/closing window
    • Add & drop & selling items
    • Move & swapping items
    • Item stacking
  • Fixed plenty of desync issue, however it's still not playable in multiplayer due to incompatibilities between the UI system and melee AI. This will be fixed when I created custom AI for this map.
  • Now exp gain won't be displayed
  • Now save data will be saved in same directory and file format in all patch versions (1.26-1.28)
  • Reduced shortcut bar size
  • Etc.

I hope someone will help me to bug test the inventory system. Try to break the system as hard as you can. Each valid bug report and any attempt will be rewarded of course. Suggestions are welcome too. Thanks in advance.

DOWNLOAD NOW

Last edited:
Level 3
I never seen any type of RPG like this.. but isn't suppose ur character (peasant) must have an Attribute board/display like STR, AGI, INT, LUCK, Crit, Evasion etc? Is this gonna be on the map on the future? and how your character gonna change class? Does your character model gonna change ex: peon -> lvl 15: grunt (having new abilities etc.) model -> lvl 30: Raider (having new abilities etc.) -> lvl 45: Warchief (having new abilities etc.) (I prefer because that's gonna be fun) or You just gonna put an armor to a model(peasant) to look like "footman,archer,mage,knight etc." (This idea doesn't make sense because i can't imagine putting an armor model to a acolyte, peons, and wisp.)

This map has a good concept, but i can't just imagine when u have a lvl 45 character load and an enemy person is lvl 20 character and u fight isn't that imbalance? + AI Playstyle and balance throughout the game. Just can't imagine.. I like it, but the game is so-so.

Kazeon

Level 33
Changing class doesn't change the base model, at least within early developments. I'm not sure to add attachment models for equipment as well. Changing class allows you to learn skills and use items unique to your class. For instance for level 10 human there are: soldier, chemist, and builder. Each base class will make you specialized at certain field. For instance chemist allows you to learn a skill to extract certain substance from certain objects to create chemical substances (potion, poison, exploding stuffs, etc). Builder class allows you to start some basic building construction on your own, higher tier sub-classes allows you to build more important structures. At some point you can start the base expansion (build town hall).

Well, those are just two examples but I hope you get the basic classing idea.
However each race will have unique specialization. For instance, humans are good at building stuffs, making them have exceptional defensive power, however all the classes are close-range combatants. Orc is efficient at close range combats, and just like human, all classes are close ranger. Night elf is exceptional at exploiting natural resources (for instance they can summon units from trees), they are also specialized at using supportive abilities. While undead is exceptional at using destructive spells and necromancery (rising the deads).

For attribute display, yes it will be displayed on character window. I take inspiration from WoW for the character info window layout:
92d016f98098de745dae87306556b7b3.png

More or less the layout will be alike (left window), but with different textures and probably much less equipment variations.

This map has a good concept, but i can't just imagine when u have a lvl 45 character load and an enemy person is lvl 20 character and u fight isn't that imbalance? + AI Playstyle and balance throughout the game. Just can't imagine.. I like it, but the game is so-so.
The same question applies to any multiplayer/online role playing games. They've never been fair in any scenario.
But I do have a plan to adjust normal units and heroes strength based on player's level.

Kazeon

Level 33
Phew! Spent at least 48 hours just to eradicate all the desyncs! Still there's one more rare desync issue which will be fixed when the AI system is done. Anyway, now I can go on to bulk the map with bunch of useless systems! I will be more careful from now on tho. That desync fixing was, admittedly, one of the nastiest thing I've fixed in wc3 modding! But that's of course because of I was being careless in adding systems.

Anyway, this is how the character window looks like.
WC3ScrnShot_042217_033446_03.jpg

(You have to think that wisps have head, arms, etc. in playing this game)

Also, I think I won't upload any map from now on since it's kind pointless. Preparing it for upload is not effortless and I won't retrieve anything by doing it anyway. Images should be enough.

EDIT:
Oh, also, I'd like to hear some opinions about the attribute system? Should it be per aspect (str, agi, int, wisdom, etc.) or just like the current one (damage, armor, etc.)? If per aspect then, each aspect will improve some attributes at once, just like common RPG.

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Level 3
"Changing class doesn't change the base model. I'm not sure to add attachment models for equipment as well."

Wait.. so you are saying that my character will look workers forever (wisp,acolyte,peasants, peon) , but has different types of items, classes, roles , attributes on attribute display throughout the game? so no character design on your character at all or skins to make your character look different to others?

"at least within early developments"

What do you mean? Is it really gonna change on future or not? Talking about what your plans for the future, because this project could be an online RPG mod.

Kazeon

Level 33
Wait.. so you are saying that my character will look workers forever (wisp,acolyte,peasants, peon) , but has different types of items, classes, roles , attributes on attribute display throughout the game? so no character design on your character at all or skins to make your character look different to others?
Yes, I do have a plan only to change textures for different jobs and maybe adding weapon attachments too.

What do you mean? Is it really gonna change on future or not? Talking about what your plans for the future, because this project could be an online RPG mod.
Well it's indeed supposed to be an ORPG.

Kazeon

Level 33
I just added another system bloat called custom minimap. Doesn't look really neat atm, and unlikely going to be. But at least later it will have some fancy frame and some interaction buttons.

And the default one will be removed later. Why?
1. Default one can't be zoomed. It's way too small.
2. Selected unit appears white in default minimap along with useless white box, making it hard to locate our current location.
3. The map uses third person camera, with default minimap it's tough to determine which direction we are currently facing. The custom one, later, will display what direction players are facing.
4. The game disables fog and mask. It's kind of unfair that everyone can see all enemies in the map. Using custom minimap I have total control over each unit's minimap visibility.
5. The custom one can be minimized (pinned to top right of screen, sizeable) & maximized (pinned to center of screen displaying the whole map, half transparent).

Weird. I just felt a strong de javu, feels like this had been happened before. :/

Improved version:

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Is there any way to become Other unit than Workers ? Like Archers... :3
Yes, but not archer. The only race having archers is NE yet wisps obviously don't fit to hold any physical weapon. But this concept needs more brainstorming atm, maybe NE will be the only race to allow different form for each class, or maybe all races too. But if I do that, I'm afraid it will make the map loses its uniqueness and becomes just like another RPG maps. But that's of course just fine for me as long as the players want it. Welp, if only I can hear some opinions about this matter, I might reach better decisions.

Level 8
First: i'm not a native english speaker so apologizes in that respect.

If i'm guessing right your map wants to get the warcraft melee map vibe while maintaining the rpg element.
Following this interpretation:
You could bend the warcraft races limitations and details (ie. night elves have wisps as starting units) by doing some altered melee stuff.
I'm thinking about modifying the starting worker units for each race (rather some races, like the NE or Undead), while also standarize them (ie. each provided with animations, attachment points, and namely each with hands and feet lol). For exaple the undead working unit could be an
skeleton dude, and the night elf could be something like this Night Elf - Druid of The Claw (Beta) or this NightElfArtisan, or a female version of those.

You could also turn the classic "shop structure" each race has (ie. arcane vault for humans) into a dedicated equipment vendor, based on race and thus standarized, or something else (the melee AI will built one of those eventually), ie. the night elves shop structure sells bows and arrows, quiver items, a glaive throwing weapon or whatever.

I have some other ideas, but i don't know if this is the right interpretation of your game.

Finally, the drawbacks are that you no longer have a pristine warcraft melee map, but an altered version. In this regard tho, you can still get the "I'm serving and climbing the ranks ON/IN (how do you spell this?) A WAR between -multiple- factions/races" while achieving some coherence.
As another drawback: you will need to import units and do some model editing.

Kazeon

Level 33
First, thank you for your thoughts :) And well your english is not bad at all!

Well, I already gave it some hours of thinking. And turns out I will revamp the whole gameplay.

What I have in mind now:
I will keep the units, heroes, techtree, etc. as similar as possible to original melee. However, just like what's suggested, it will allow you to switch jobs from worker, literally, it changes the unit model too. Since finally, I think forever looking like a worker is totally lame. But still everyone will start as a worker (and yes wisp can be replaced with something else). In case you've switched to a more advance class, you can revert back to be a worker (and vice versa) as needed. Since being a worker is still useful for maintaining the town and doing expansions. And now, enemy base and creep camp raiding will be more organized. It's going to be a regular event (every 30 minutes or so). Etc. (I find it difficult to write all of my ideas here)

Well, in short, as you see, I decided to emphasize its RPG elements. Since basically what I really want to keep is classic warcraft melee brawl vibe and wars between the four races. Starting as a worker is a unique concept but then I think the game shouldn't be too focused on being worker only, as what I can see so far people don't really like it. Second reason is, the concept of using melee map as the basis of the gameplay is already flawed since the beginning (it's unique yes but just can't work). Things will be too vague as the player reaches higher level, they will be too powerful to be a worker and will be strong enough to wreck enemy's base as soon as the game starts. With the new concept of having massive map size filled with higher level creeps, such thing will not be possible anymore.

Level 8
Yes, but not archer. The only race having archers is NE yet wisps obviously don't fit to hold any physical weapon. But this concept needs more brainstorming atm, maybe NE will be the only race to allow different form for each class, or maybe all races too. But if I do that, I'm afraid it will make the map loses its uniqueness and becomes just like another RPG maps. But that's of course just fine for me as long as the players want it. Welp, if only I can hear some opinions about this matter, I might reach better decisions.

I suggest to start with a Archer for ME and Ghouls for Undead and Grunt as orc.

So, we could upgrade ...ect

Kazeon

Level 33
I suggest to start with a Archer for ME and Ghouls for Undead and Grunt as orc.

So, we could upgrade ...ect
You can refer to my post above because I've revamped the concept. Everyone will start as worker still, but will be able to change form when switched classes.

Level 22
A few things that I noticed.
  • I can easily get attribute points by spamming cancel upgrade, same goes with skill points
  • knocking a tree once worth the same exp as doing it 5 times
  • The sound of rain still looping even though the rain has stopped
I'm not fond of your current camera, personally. Third-Person Cam with clicking movement isn't that good especially if the cam is controlled with arrow keys in my opinion. I suggest that you should add more options to the camera choices.

Other than that, I'm intrigued with what this map has become and there's a lot potential to it, I believe. Keep up the good work, @Quilnez ~

Kazeon

Level 33
I can easily get attribute points by spamming cancel upgrade, same goes with skill points
In future increasing attributes and skills won't be using upgrades. Increasing attribute will be done through the character info panel, and learning skill will be done through talent tree panel.

knocking a tree once worth the same exp as doing it 5 times
It's because the "return resource" button is supposed to be hidden. In 1.27b button stacking doesn't work. If it's hidden players don't have any other choice but to hit the tree 5 times. Anyway, in the future I will create a custom resource harvesting system instead, shouldn't be too hard.

The sound of rain still looping even though the rain has stopped
True that.

I'm not fond of your current camera, personally. Third-Person Cam with clicking movement isn't that good especially if the cam is controlled with arrow keys in my opinion. I suggest that you should add more options to the camera choices.
Yes, it will include various camera modes, including default camera.

Did you add that ?
Or ... Still not ?
Not yet.

Btw atm, I'm working on the terrain. I'm trying to make each faction has very unique atmospheric environment (vast forest for NE, dry land for UD, and so on). But I'm not really fond of showcasing the terrain at this point. What's tough and time consuming is looking for suitable models and textures for each race.

And thanks for the comments guys...

Kazeon

Level 33
Hello. So this is the last playable version before the whole gameplay will get revamped. I upload it in hope that someone will be kind enough to test the half-working inventory and equipment system and see if someone spotted some bugs, while I'm dealing with some real life stuffs. The project will be pause because of that.

Thanks in advance.

Download Link (7.6 MB)
Compatible for patch 1.26 and above.

Major changes:
  • Added custom minimap system
  • Added equipment system
  • Added "use item" functionality for inventory system
  • Added cooldown with animation for consumable items

cvd.jpg

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
So.. back to the basic.. I've decided not to take this project too far. I will revert to my initial concept. No save/load, inventory system, quest system, etc. I was too carried away... And heck, not even HQ models and textures, using native resource is what making it somewhat amusing in some way. The system pack will be used in separate RPG project, if I have time for that. But again due to very limited time, I will just finish this project real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.