• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Speedruns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hey guys, this is kind of shameless promotion, but whatever :D

I have been speedrunning Warcraft 3 for some time now(first run submitted to http://www.speedrun.com/wc3tft but I have been pretty active lately.

My current(today actually) best run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7wKiWmL39k
Where I stream attempts: https://www.twitch.tv/crerisrs

Why I am making this post:

To promote my channel :D and to promote the speedruns too, it would be good if I could get some input on my current strats(there may be people who know what counters what in this game), or even getting some competition, because running against yourself aint no fun.

I am currently only running TFT Human normal, but I plan on doing scourge eventually too.

Level 4
Hey dude! thats very cool. Check out speeddemosarchive's thread on the topic first page last page. There are some glitches, for example in old versions of Warcraft, Roc only, there is a glitch that allows for infinite resources, videos here and here. There are also loads of displacement exploits, where summoning, tree-walking, mirror imaging etc can cause displacement. Check out Liderharen's runs, they are IL's (or technically segmented runs) so they do have an advantage on you (although they are also on hard difficulty), but I'm sure you will learn something from watching them (if you haven't already). They are here

Liderharen's segmented times:

ROC:

Human total time: 38:47

TFT:

Total time for elf campaign: 37:09

Total time for human campaign: 45:37

Total time for undead campaign: 45:15

Warcraft 3 speed running has died down a little bit since it's peak :(

For example, in the human campaign:

Liderharen said:
Chapter 5:
This chapter is one of the only two chapter where I abuse a glitch to beat the level. It turns out that if Illidans is silenced while closing the gates he will become mobile again. The only gate that spawns creeps who cast silence is the top right one. So the chapter is basically boiled down to: Make it to the gates as fast as possible while getting a perfect item setup for the next level.

From here

Also, you may find it useful to open the campaign maps in the world editor. Considering that we are on the hive workshop, you may already know how to do that, but this is ladik's mpq editor and you want to use it to open war3.mpq, open the maps folder and extract the campaign folder.

Last edited:
Level 23
Hey.

I know of the bug that Liderharen mentioned, and I did use it in one of my runs, but I felt uncomfortable by being chased by 3 minutes worth of spawns, and I ran too early so they actually got to me, since I got to fourth portal before the time ran out, so they started going ham.

I will be sure to check his runs out! Even tho I dont really run RoC as of yet(I would like to, but I want to hammer out human time first as much as possible).

Its good to see someone actually did something too :D

The UD runs will be extra helpful, since I want to run that, but the missions are pretty tough for me(Im not the best when it comes to RTSs :D)

Level 23
I tried some of his strategies on normal human on 1.26a, and it doesnt work nearly as good, because stuff keeps aggro on you for like half the map if not more(fel stalkers from first mission followed me literally to the boat for instance), so half of his strats arent applicable, or he did something that I completly missed that made them lose the aggro.

Level 23
well I can play whatever, really :D but not melee because I suck dick at RTSs and my decition making is like "ok, lets build footman, oh shit classical orc combo in my base, gg" :D

Max I had was 9, but yesterday I had 2-3, varying. I am not really doing it for views anyways :D even tho some views never hurt right? :D

Level 6
well I can play whatever, really :D but not melee because I suck dick at RTSs and my decition making is like "ok, lets build footman, oh shit classical orc combo in my base, gg" :D

Max I had was 9, but yesterday I had 2-3, varying. I am not really doing it for views anyways :D even tho some views never hurt right? :D

Well in twitch most who plays Warcraft are chinese.

I suggest trying epic non RTS maps right here like Iceborn. Your viewers will surely amaze.

Level 4
I think the best strategy for Human 2 is to get two scrolls of town portals from the shop, teleport Kael by himself to one of the outer towns, open the crates and receive 400 gold and a tiny castle, while pumping dragon hawks and swordsmen, moving the workers in the inner towns to the outer towns and making the towers attack your own buildings. Invis Kael into the main undead base with sorc invis, place a tiny castle, let Kael die, move all of your units down to where Kael respawns after the cutscene when the undead have killed all of the outlying bases, and then tp right back in to the undead base.

___

I'm not actually sure that all of Liderharen's strategies are that good, it's just that almost all of the time someone else sees something that you don't.

Last edited:
Level 23
well that would require insane timing, because the UD is obviously going to attack the town hall, so I better be very precise :D

But it sounds as good idea, less travelling.

Well I have to say his Mission 1 is godtier compared to mine, I can get below 8 min times on that, compared to 10:30 which is my best time with my strategy.

Thanks for the idea, I will test it out :D

Level 6
Congrats with your WR! Watching the speedrun, awesome stuff. Would love to see night elf/undead.

Level 23
I plan on doing undead when I get human to a time where its really hard for me to beat(its still couple minutes off of that goal).

Night elf has been done and is submitted on speedrun.com, but I would like to run that too eventually, which would allow me to do full game runs

Level 4
Also, the items Illidan starts with in H05 depend on what items he had in NE08. This is the only case of items travelling through campaigns in the game. Technically, using this might result in your run being a NG+ (new game+, where you have already played the game before) run, but since it is impossible to legitimately get to the Human Campaign without having played the game before, technically all runs of the campaign without the night elf campaign included in the run might be considered NG+. It doesn't help that much, since Illidan only joins in the 5th mission, but I think that the optimal items to give him are:

Boots of speed.
Rock totem (in NE2, in one of the eggs in top-left area)
Rock totem (in NE2, by the final gate, blink around a little )
Inferno item (in NE10, gong up a river, which also contains an enormous golem)

Two other items. Possibly boots of speed for other heros, possibly high-value items such as Claws of Attack +15 (from golem in river in NE10), I know there is a +12 somewhere as well but forgot where, possibly heal scrolls, possibly invulnerability potion, possibly even staff of negation, possibly +10 orb, possibly magic-immune potion, but I don't think any choice is definitively the best choice. I don't think there are any scrolls of speed or staffs of silence in the campaign.

Note that the staff of teleportation is taken away from you at the end of the appropriate mission. TP scrolls are also taken away from you at some points, I'm not sure when.

Level 23
I wondered where the IoL runs had all those juicy items on Illidan from :D I asked microelf(the moderator for warcraft stuff in speedrun.com) if he will allow it, but yes I didnt even play through the night elf(motherlode anyone? :D) so I didnt have any of these items.

Thanks for the tip btw

Status
Not open for further replies.