• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft III problem on vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi, Whenever I start up Warcraft...the screen pops up but after a few seconds it just closes by himself, I reinstalled it several times and I can't figure out the problem...Please help me

Level 1
Dude, you do know Warcraft III does not support NT. In other words untill you get a new operating system you can't play wc3

A couple of months ago I was able to play it with Vista...So I don't think that's the problem

Level 1
Then you got lucky that time. I am not really sure how it can be fixed, but I know that warcraft III has a lot of problems on vista, you should google it and see what comes up.

Also did that, That's how I ended u here...:(
Can't find anything on Google about my specific problem

Level 1
Did you by any chance install a new vista since your last wc3?

Also can you make a list of tehnical software you installed since then(such as .NET framework, msxml, dxc and similar)

didn't instal a new vista...
my what? how to find that specs?

Level 14
Never mind, it seems you did not install any of those(seeing as how they can only be installed on purpose :))

Anyway there is not much I can help you with. I guess you could keep googling it or perhaps post a question on the Yahoo question/awnser page. Other then that there is nothing more I can help you, sorry :(

Level 1
Try running in compatibility mode. A friend of mine had to run WC3 in Windows 2000 compatibility mode just to make it run. Getting Vista was not a smart choice.

It was standard on my laptop I got for my birthday...
And, I tried the method you mentioned, and it didn't work :/

Level 15
One of the biggest problems with WC3 is that it writes and saves files in Program Files (assuming that's where you installed WC3 by default). In Vista using a normal user account setup, this is not directly allowed. Whenever you attempt to write to a location in Program Files as a default user, the file is actually written to a location in your user folder.

I'm not sure if Warcraft 3 would work better in a folder outside of program files (maybe C:\Warcraft3) as I don't have Vista on my laptop. :zip:

As mentioned before, it would also help to run Warcraft 3 with full administrator permissions. Disabling the UAC (user account control) system and prompts might help too, but again, I have no way to try any of this out.

This is all just a huge shot in the dark. Vista tends to make things like that happen.

Level 1
thank you all for replying, but none of the above methods works:(
The weird thing is...When I open the folder of Warcraft III the same thing happens to that window as with the game....pops up, and after a few seconds it closes by himself...
What if I do a Dual boot with XP, maybe then I can play it ?
Never done that before...maybe any advice concerning the Dual boot? :)

Level 14
Yeah, I think that would work, but then again I know cases that didn't work even with that, so it is a matter of luck(and what you installed). I never done it myself but I know there are a few nice forums for that, just google it :)

Hope it works for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.