• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Okay, although this isn't a strict race modification, the melee races will be altered around for this idea of mine that revolves around remaking the Warcraft 3 melee game, only as a squad-based RTS. The modification itself will be simple, but balancing will be difficult. Also, I plan to include more units for each race than the original melee game has (due to balancing on the most part).

continuing...

Level 35
Here's a list of ideas I have so far:

Undead
-replace early units with squads of Skeletons
-keep the Ghoul as a single unit which is weak as an attacking unit, but a good scout and the Lumber Harvester for the Undead
-Crypt Fiend will reappear as more of a late game single unit that can either Web all air units within a certain radius or (if I can figure out how) just the entire squad itself

Night Elf
-move Huntress to be a later game squad
-include the Sentry as a fragile melee unit with Elune's Grace and one or two upgrades

Gameplay
-heroes will be powerful units (maintaining all of their hero abilities through upgrade)
-items will effect all units/unit squads with general stat enhancements

...and that's all I have so far. Anyone want to contribute to it? It's a very young idea, but I'm thinking it might get me back into modding lol

Level 35
Thx Misha :3

Okay, I've started creating a unit list, so it should be fun to work through that :3
I'm also going to make Creeps squad based (although, of course, there will be single unit Creeps).
For example, the Gnolls will all be squads for the lower ranks, while the Overlord will be a single unit that does not deal much damage, but will have a good aura to benefit the surrounding Gnolls (no doubt Command Aura or something like that :p)

Level 35
Yea, I know lol
But the best part of this project is that balancing is the main difficult part. The only other slightly difficult part will be editing all the items I want to have in the game, but I won't use every item anyway, so I'll be changing the melee game quite a bit in terms of items 'n stuff

Oh, and there won't be heroes, instead they'll be units with the same abilities. Can't believe I didn't mention that earlier :p

Level 35
Not so much like Rise of Legends, but I'm thinking of making it that you have a choice of 4 hero units where you pick one to be available. Then you research its abilities via the Altar and you can get as many of that hero unit you want. Or, alternatively, you can get up to 3 of the 4 hero units. Or you can just get all 4 as regular units via teching up. Currently I am undecided :p

Level 35
lol, well, they will be in it, but only as expensive units with awesome abilities ;P

Okay, I've started the actual modding for the Night Elf race, so hopefully the balance will be complete soon enough lol
I foolishly started on Riverrun, however, so I will need to transfer the data across to a 6 player map (because the squad system requires 2 players for every player)
Come to think of it, I may even need to make a player act as the Neutral Hostile... I will look into this :p

Level 35
Of course export data option lol, I never said it would be difficult :p

I'll probably put the mod in a few maps at the very least, as once all the data is completed it should be pretty easy to transfer :p

Okay, so here's the new units for the Night Elves so far:

Sentry: Night Elf tier 1 melee unit, has Elune's Grace, Shadowmeld and maybe Evasion

Assassin: Fragile melee unit with a ferocious attack, has Permanent Invisibility and maybe Critical Strike (but with a different name)

Level 3
I'm not sure how you're planning to implement these "squads", but you don't need a bigger map to add more players.

On one map I use "watchers" as a faction and I gave the night elf assassin model (warden) the head hunters attack. And it's actually pretty pleasing, come to think of it I might have just altered the head hunter to look like the assassin.

Level 35
Hmm... sounds interesting, although I am wanting my assassins to be melee :p

As for the squads, yes, you are right, I can only have at most 6 players playing, and that depends on whether or not I need a dummy player to act as the Neutral creeps or not. So the biggest map will either have 5 or 6 playable players :/

As for implementing the squads, I've already got the system which was made by Illidan(Evil)X himself. It is without leaks and with some simple GUI commands I can order it to do more than Illidan even thought possible :p
THAT'S how good his system is :3

Status
Not open for further replies.