• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Heroes of the Storm like models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Yo. I'd do it, but I got no idea what software's required to make Warcraft 3 models. I want models of Warcraft 3 heroes using the animations that were introduced in Heroes of the Storm.

An example would be a re-vamped Thrall that places his HotS animation bones into the on-foot low-poly'd version of him, and by re-vamped I mean adding his pony-tail, the spikes on his shoulder pads and the second set of shoulder pads that rest underneath his larger ones and making his Doomhammer look a bit better.

I feel like it's about time we all had sick updated on-foot versions of characters like Thrall, Uther and Tyrande anyway. Casting Holy Radiance with Uther's hammer just doesn't feel right.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yo. I'd do it, but I got no idea what software's required to make Warcraft 3 models. I want models of Warcraft 3 heroes using the animations that were introduced in Heroes of the Storm.
Not really possible. A lot of the models depend heavily on real time physics for parts such as capes, hair, or dangling objects. WC3 lacks any concept of such physics so the animations will always look wrong. You would have to animate such parts from scratch.

The animations mostly come in the form of a model extension file. This is applied to the base model to produce a model with animations in the StarCraft II engine. This is to reduce redundancy since the same animation file can be used by many variants of the model which do not require different animations.

As such not only will you have to port the base model from Heroes of the Storm but also after porting it, somehow apply the animation extension model to it to get all the base animations. You will then need to animate all parts which are not supported by WC3 due to no physics engine, which include capes, hair, weapons. deaths etc.

It is probably far easier to consider switching to StarCraft II, where you can literally import the models straight from Heroes of the Storm and work with them. Key developers from Blizzard have even given doing this the all clear and even support it as long as you do not try to recreate Heroes of the Storm in StarCraft II (conflict of interest).

Level 6
As such not only will you have to port the base model from Heroes of the Storm but also after porting it, somehow apply the animation extension model to it to get all the base animations. You will then need to animate all parts which are not supported by WC3 due to no physics engine, which include capes, hair, weapons. deaths etc.

I mean that is basically what I was asking for, aside from the additional work. I have seen people already importing the models into Wc3 though, not sure if the bones have been but I've seen them, and I remember if you turn the engine's physic settings to minimal the game has animations for the loose parts of the models.

I agree though, probably not worth the trouble.

I guess if people do eventually import those models into Wc3 I'd like to see low-poly'd versions of em, just think it'd look cool. Also I was going to attempt to make Heroes in Wc3. Not sure how I'd get those gates to work though.

Hope they're alright with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.