• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 (and Reforged) on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hey guys!

I want to ask the Linux part of this community something. I used to create custom maps/spells and be an active member of this community, however eventually I lost interest due to lack of more time.

But since seeing these new updates (however broken they are) makes me want to come back to code a few more spells. Problem is, I know that Blizzard is not actively supporting their products on Linux and I currently don't have any Windows on my personal laptop and I don't plan to switch just for this.

I know that it's possible to run warcraft and world editor on Linux using Wine (I run Diablo II that way) but that probably has problems as well. I'm about to try to get it to work, what are my main concerns?

Side-question: I found no certainty about Reforged on Linux, but it probably won't support Linux as well, am I right?

~El

Level 17
In my experience, anything that uses DX11 can run extremely well assuming you have a graphics card and drivers with Vulkan support, by using DXVK to implemented DX11 on Linux. In particular, for WC3 you need DXVK + Wine staging, though I've had some problems with some maps crashing. Other than those, however, WC3 works fine. The WorldEditor will be missing some UI elements (mainly the hotbar) but it's perfectly usable.

Level 11
Yeah so that's the thing I was worried about - I used to run world editor on this laptop when I was on Windows just fine, but seeing as additional software is needed to run it on Linux, I don't think it will handle it.
It has a rusty old integrated intel gpu that doesn't run even a little bit of Vulkan.

~El

Level 17
Yeah so that's the thing I was worried about - I used to run world editor on this laptop when I was on Windows just fine, but seeing as additional software is needed to run it on Linux, I don't think it will handle it.
It has a rusty old integrated intel gpu that doesn't run even a little bit of Vulkan.

That sucks. If you don't have the option of using DXVK, I think you can still try running it in OpenGL mode. I think the current command line switch to force it is `-graphicsapi opengl`, which should work for both WorldEdit and Warcraft III. I believe the patch notes for 1.31.0 specify what exactly the argument is, in-case I'm wrong.

Do note that Wine itself doesn't really incur much of a performance overhead by itself, most of the issues arise out of bugs or inefficiencies with reimplemented Windows DLLs. It's worth a shot regardless. Good luck!

Level 1

Have you tried to use Lutris yet? It's a front-end for Wine that removes the need for fiddling with all the settings yourself. It's super easy to use, so might be worth checking out. Link: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - Lutris

Level 19
Forcing opengl does wonders when running on Linux. I managed to get stable 60 (up from ~20 on menu when moving the mouse) with a relatively old integrated gpu up to ~1.29 on my laptop (then stopped using Linux). I believe, -nativefullscr was needed then but I don't know the equivalent option in newer versions.
I never got the world editor to work correctly, though. The missing elements wouldn't be that much of a problem but the terrain flickering was really uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.