• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warchief Vol'jin, expectations and facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Vol'jin become Warchief of the Horde after MoP I was wondering what you guys think about him, good points and bad points also.

Ever vigilant troll heart!
attachment.php
Discuss about his person and exemplify if something could've been done better for him or some other events in his life. Enjoy :wink:

Attachments

• voljin_by_hyperion.jpg
    voljin_by_hyperion.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 1,829
Level 20
I don't know, he didn't exactly have any character at all until recently like most other racial leaders that appeared out of thin air. Probably located in novels like most of lore is these days. Still probably the best candidate. So for me Pro: he is a troll, con: he is in wow.

Garosh was just popular because he was son of Gromm and he was a war hero but as far as I understand lacked capability for diplomacy and simple common sense and I could write entire rant about just him (not that I really understand why Gromm is that important, he was extremely late to even come to Azeroth). I don't really understand how brown orc that spent most of is life in Outland is qualified after minimal time spent on Azeroth to lead Horde on Azeroth.

Sylvanas unlike Garosh is completely capable politician and has experience but nobody sane would ever trust her, plus the whole new plague "incident" and the "Lich Queen tendency".

Baine only recently took the leadership of tauren and tauren in generally seem less interested in world politics. If his father was alive he would be valuable candidate as he certainly had experience and wisdom.

Lor'themar... I don't really know anything about this guy just that he is a regent. Well since he is regent and not official ruler of Silvermoon and that blood elves are rather young members most of the horde wouldn't support him. Probably is qualified since he is an elf (yay for racism).

Jastor Gallywix... not even up for consideration.

And then we have many of the famous orcs hat are doing nothing like Saurfang or Drek'thar or Nazgreal. I am sure their characters are all put in some novel away from actual games.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Well, Vol'jin stood up to Garrosh, that counts for something, but someone was bound to do that eventually. I mean, they couldn't tolerate his actions for all eternity. If Cairne was alive, I'd vote for him. His contribution to the Horde was admirable.

EDIT: I'm not saying that he didn't do enough for the Horde, but I see more worthy candidates.

Level 24
Alright pros vs cons. Vol'Jin is a friend of Baine Bloodhoof and therefor has the support of the Tauren who will also likely be active members of the Horde for the first time since Cairne's death. The orcs are unpredictable at best, they might support Vol'Jin yet they might not. Orcs bow to strength and although it's true Vol'Jin led the Horde side of the invasion and took control of the echo isles you also need to put in mind that he was defeated by Garrosh's assassins and lost control of the echo isles in the first place. He also had played no part in the actual battle against Garrosh even though he did lead the army. The fact remains that the only one who has proven to be able to defeat Garrosh in combat is Cairne Bloodhoof other than that the only one who ever intimidated Garrosh was Sylvanas. The loyalty of the forsaken namely Sylvanas is even worse than unpredictable. Sylvanas has never been in the Horde for the good of others, her entire purpose for being in the Horde is to not have to fight a war on three fronts and if needed have a safety net to fall on as we saw in the battle for Undercity. The blood elves on the other hand are more likely to pitch in and help though it's impossible to guess how Lor'Themar Theron will behave after Garrosh's abuse of the sin'dorei. With all this taken into account my conclusion is that the Horde will likely start off as very divided whether or not Vol'Jin has what it takes to unite them we will have to see.

Something we can take comfort in however is Vol'Jins desire for peace, Vol'Jin spoke out against Garrosh's idea to push the Night Elves out of Kalimdor and did not want another war between the Horde and the Alliance. This is a goal that both Baine and Vol'Jin share and as I think that neither Varok or Thrall would charge to lead an invasion against the kal'dorei the Horde will likely be given more than enough time to rebuild and gather their strength in Kalimdor. The one threat there is to their peace on the Horde side is Sylvanas, after the events in the novel war crimes she is even more unstable than previously. That is quite dangerous when you think about the fact that no one has previously been able to control her, not Garrosh, Thrall or the Lich King and if her goal ever is war not Vol'Jin or the entire Horde combined can stop her. But if Sylvanas does not seek to expand her borders I see no reason why this can't end happily.

With all of these thoughts taken into concern I believe that Vol'Jin will be a remarkable WarChief if gets the space to rule and not have decision pushed onto him by a person like lets say Sylvanas. The Horde is at this point at a weaker point than I think it has ever been and even though the Alliance may have lost a great number of soldiers it is united and if Vol'Jin faces to much thrashing from rebells it might snowball out of control. I expect that Vol'Jin will be able to unite all the Horde races except for the Forsaken and maybe the blood elves if Sylvanas manages to blackmail Lor'Themar again. I believe that the orcs will be extremely conflicted at first but that Vol'Jin will prove to them that he's a good ruler. I expect the Horde in Kalimdor to be ruled by not only Vol'Jin but also Baine and Varok and that Varok will ensure that the orcs do not thrash around to much and that Baine ensures a friendship between Horde and kal'dorei. I expect Vol'Jin to rule the Horde with a gentle hand instead of an iron fist and show mercy to all who deserved it just like he gave Garrosh the rights to be defended justly in his trial.

In the begining of Mists of Pandaria all Pandarens were strictly forbidden by both Varian and Garrosh to see their former friends who had decided to join the other faction. I expect Vol'Jin will change this rule allowing Pandarens who wants to be able to see their friends and family and in doing so also gain the favor of the Pandaren that was most likely lost when Garrosh decided to torture them. I expect now that the Zandalari has been almost defeated that Vol'Jin will unite the remaining and scattered troll tribes not only mending the damage done to the Horde but also making trolls the strongest race which would be much more successful in giving him the respects of the orcs. As you may have noticed I have very high expectations for Vol'Jin but after having such a bad WarChief for so many years I think the Horde deserves the very best. I would also need the very best to start being loyal to the Horde again and not just the sin'dorei as I've not had any loyalty to the Horde since the death of Cairne Bloodhoof.

Level 24
I vote Sylvanas for warchief. That girl get's shit done.

She's efficient alright, but considering how her rampage ended in War Crimes I think its best for the Horde and Vereesa if she does not lead the Horde.

Level 24
Oh you, just wait until I get my hands on you xD

I'm just saying that Vereesa back stabbed her sister and it just seems to me that her hatred burns inside of her like a raging inferno. I remember how she reacted in WarCraft 3 when she got her will back, she had annihilated Arthas had not Kel'Thuzad intervened.

Level 24
I agree. But it would be very interesting.

Right now it seems more like she is interested in screwing up for Vol'jin than anything else.

Either that or they'll just ignore her as they've done since patch 4.0.

Level 24
One can always hope. She gets way too little time in the spotlight.

I feel we are also overlooking the possibility that Blizzard only made har go berserk in War Crimes because they wanted to show that she can never have a normal life. Maybe she will never be an end boss and I really hope that is true.

Level 9
Idk if you guys have played Warcraft III... but trolls were and are an excellent addition to the horde, in fact they were there before Tauren, Sen'jin was a good friend of Thrall, and obviously Vol'jin was too with the way he and Thrall talked through most of the new Troll opening quests and new dialogue throughout MoP, with this in mind why does him being a Troll have to do with him being warchief? For all we know there has been three Thrall (The Original), Garrosh (The Dickhead, get it cause he has a tiny head?), and now Vol'jin... I don't understand why him being the first Troll is getting to some people, for heaven sakes, there has only been three Warchiefs anyway! When I talk about Warchief's I am referencing the common day Horde, so basically after the events of Warcraft III. My point being, yes he is a Troll, good for him.

The other point being that Vol'jin, in my opinion is a very cool character, even if his character was only developed via last expansion. He is level headed, honorable, and dat hair... All and All, the Horde should have skipped the era of Garrosh and went straight to Vol'jin, Thrall made some big shoes to fill, thank goodness Trolls don't wear shoes :wink:

Level 24
I don't understand why him being the first Troll is getting to some people,

I doubt it will play much of a difference, I think most important it shows the tauren and the blood elves that they don't have to follow anyone just because he's an orc but because he's the best leader. Garrosh himself was named warchief because the orcs wanted the strongest warrior and the opinion of the other races didn't really matter in that decision.
As far as the orcs go, I believe there might be some rebellion but as long as they get their own racial leader which we've been told they will I don't think they're going to pose any serious threat.

Level 9
As far as the orcs go, I believe there might be some rebellion but as long as they get their own racial leader which we've been told they will I don't think they're going to pose any serious threat.

And in that poses another question... New orc leader? Who, and how are they going to feel about not being warchief, also does this make Sen'jin Village the new Horde Capital?

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

How can that small village be a capital? How can any village be a capital? xD

Level 24
Orgrimmar will remain the capital and as Metzen said the new leader of the orcs will be either Varok or Thrall but neither will have the title WarChief.

Level 9
I guess that makes sense, and maybe Sen'jin was the wrong village, which one is the new updated one that trolls start at, on all the islands? I mean that one is getting kind of big, it could definitely hit capital status, however Orgrimmar is a warm homey feeling, i'll admit, i'd be sad if players didn't flock it's trade chat with constant nonsense anymore, i'm glad it's still the capital... And I never finished MoP sad to say, i ended before the Garrosh patch, my question being Varok is...who again?

Level 9
Oh you said Saurfang and my first thought was, Isn't he dead? huh I just Wowpedia'd him kind of sounds like another Garrosh, just less... hateable? I don't know, also I don't know why he would be, it completely skips over a explanation of what he was doing in MoP... so I guess they could pull him back out of thin air, but i'd say Thrall is much more likely.

Level 24
The islands the trolls live on are called the echo isles, yes Heinvers it's Varok Saurfang, in MoP Varok helped Thrall and his palls to take down Garrosh in between that and patch 3.3 he did not do too much however.

Status
Not open for further replies.