• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of the Third Age 4.3

War of the Third Age
by Aerovox (a.k.a. Hex)

This is War of the Third Age; (version4.3H) by Aerovox, who has previously worked on "Battle for Middle Earth".

In "War of the Third Age" there are 2 teams, Good and Evil. Each team has 5 available factions that you may choose to control:
  1. Good Team:
    1. Gondor (Red)
    2. Rohan (Blue)
    3. Dol Amroth [South Gondor] (Teal)
    4. Elves & Ents (Yellow)
    5. Fellowship (Orange)
  2. Evil Team:
    • Isengard (Green)
    • Easterlings (Gray)
    • Haradrim (Light Blue)
    • Minas Morgul [The 9 Nazgûl] (Dark Green)
    • Mordor (Brown)

The objective of the Good team is to resist Evil forces and, if possible, destroy them. The ring can be dropped at Mount Doom in order to banish Sauron from Middle-Earth forever (Frodo can do this but only at a certain level of experience).
The objective of the Evil team is to destroy their enemies. Only Gondor lies between Mordor and the lands beyond. If it falls, the free peoples of Middle-Earth will not stand a chance against the shadow rising in the East. Should the One Ring be brought to Barad-Dûr, Sauron will have a physical form, and shadow will once again fall upon Middle-Earth...

Your units spawn over time. You may also train more units at your main. Remember: heroes do NOT revive.

NOTE: Please do not leave. This map can suffer a lot with leavers, as every faction should have a controller. Respect the other players and stay until the end of game.

This is a map by Aerovox. All the credit for the map's content (excluding certain imported material) goes to him. The submitter, Rui, claims no credit for the map's content.

Keywords:
Aerovox, Battle for Middle Earth, Lord of the Rings, Middle-Earth, Third Age, War, War of the Third Age
Contents

War of the Third Age 4.3 (Map)

Level 9
Although your map-making skills are good Rui, I couldn't help but notice that the actual content was quite innacurate. For instance, Lurtz is the Uruk-hai who leads saruman's forces against the fellowship at Amon Hen. Also, Shagrat isn't the captain of mordor, he is the captain of the spider pass, cirith ungol. Its little things like that which I find spoils the entire gameplay. However it was well made and fun to play, so i will give it a 7/10! Keep it up ^^

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Did you like grade your own map?
Although your map-making skills are good Rui, I couldn't help but notice that the actual content was quite innacurate. For instance, Lurtz is the Uruk-hai who leads saruman's forces against the fellowship at Amon Hen. Also, Shagrat isn't the captain of mordor, he is the captain of the spider pass, cirith ungol. Its little things like that which I find spoils the entire gameplay. However it was well made and fun to play, so i will give it a 7/10! Keep it up ^^
This is what happens when you skip descriptions.

And there are no inaccuracies. This is based off the book and not the films.

Last edited:
Level 9
Written from the books you say? Well that's a nice change! However sShagrat still isn't the captain of Mordor, even in the books. I forgot to tell you how much I liked your terraining by the way. I especially like Osgiliath! The Nazgul however seem somewhat weak compared to the fellowship. This is an all round good map.

Level 8
Rui
you writ it in the smallest font at the bottom lol
hardly visible for the general veiwer

This is a map by Aerovox. All the credit for the map's content (excluding certain imported material) goes to him. The submitter, Rui, claims no credit for the map's content.

Yup i agree u should make the font size bigger. like that above

If want colour

Level 3
no doubt its a good map, but it has its problem, you see it mahorly ends up being mass attack move clicking instead of using heroes. i know (Rui) and other players like the fact that heroes cant kill of armys hard. and yes its makes units useage more important however it also makes this game slow."80% of the time use attack-move". this can be changed if you would cut down on the amount of units, there's abit to much of them i belive. (espacily when heroes arnt that strong).

Terran aint bad, however i would like to see change to both osgiliath and cair andros to apply for more micro usage in battle there. both citys are to mazy to do any good micro once again just making it more attack move only..

I guess the balance is fine. I Recall Wotta was the first spawn based map with auto improved spawns, instead of building castles. And also the first lotr map with round walls.

I can't remmember how much this current version lags or so only played it 3-4 times. but the older used to lag much late game, even if start game as rui said is nice.

Also i want more ship into the game for battle's

4/5 from me overall.

one big problem with this map, and nearly all lotr map including Battle For Middle Earth. is that there is simply to much units for the engine to work with without any lagg in big battles, however lotr community has become better at making the map laggless. but we can never get any lotr map like BFME and WottA lagless for all users if we wont reduc the unit limit, but with a better computer playing BFME and Wotta lagless shouldent be a problem even if the engine dont support the amount of units. This is why i wish for StarCraft 2. It will support these kinda games alot more.

@Void if you ever wish to learn these kinda map, i could help.

Last edited:
Level 2
This is a fairly good map, although as has been said before the armies can become somewhat large endgame. The terrain is good and the teams appear more or less balanced. Overall a well made map 4/5

Level 25
My review from one single short game with computer players:
  • I don't know the starting positions from the lobby. You could add them as texts to the force names or to the map description.
  • No custom loading screen. Why not add the map of Middle Earth?
  • No custom models or icons :(
  • I really like that you made some things like in the book like the wall around the Pelennor.
  • I started as Gondor and had 3 heroes but the multiboard says 0?
  • with Reforged graphics I cannot see anything. It's not your fault but maybe restrict to classic graphics.
  • I really like how you put something like the hideout for the rangers somewhere else with a portal.
  • The missiles of the Trebuchets in Minas Tirith are scaled too big with Reforged graphics.
  • I cannot close the outer gates of Minas Tirith of the Pelennor (maybe it should be like that).
  • I really like the map design and that you can play all factions.
  • Computer AI would be nice so you can play alone or even when a player leaves. Do you get at least full shared control when someone leaves the game?

I won't rate the map since I haven't played it online and it's really old so I don't expect any updates.