• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

War 2 remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
ok, basically i want to create a warcraft 2 remake, with updated sections to use all the available resources of warcraft 3 such as heroes, upgrades and cutscenes. Just a few questions about it.

1. Has anybody done this before, if so, who, and where could i download it.

2. Is it worthwhile?, would you play it and do you think it would be a good idea.

3. Do you think people would be interested in helping in the development of this campaign? as in, programming AI's, model editing, map creating, storyline, voice acting, ect.

Thankyou

*Edit: By remaking warcraft 2, i mean a full campaign like the original warcraft 3 campaigns, including heroes, quests and improving the storyline.

Last edited:
Level 15
you mean you want to recreate the campaign? 'cos simple melee maps were created and quite alot. too few good ones though

Level 4
yea, basically recreate the entire warcraft 2 story, adding/editing parts of it to work in the warcraft 3 game. not melee maps, but an entire campaign with heroes, quests, stories, cinematics, triggers, and everything.

Basically the current War3 campaign, except with the majority of the warcraft 2 story.

Level 22
1. not as a campaign thought seen maps not follow story line thought thought

2. if you can make it as good as possible, yeah but most of blizzards campaigns got heavy memory leaks and ushc so try to avoid it ;)

3. there are some models, ask those who made those or request some. VOICE ACTING?!

I would have volenteered as programmer but it's summer now and holidays so can't I'm afraid.

Level 4
ok, well if i get a few more people saying "yeah, it'd b a good idea and id b willing to help" then ill start a thread on the project recruitment forum and start getting people signed up to help.

Level 1
I've ben thinking of this idea too, and have a few ideas as to how the story and maps could be aranged. If anyone are thinking of doing this, i would like to help where i can.

But wouldn't it be natural to start such a project with recreating warcraft 1: Orcs and humans, and then move on to Warcraft 2: Tides of darkness, just to get the whole story?

BTW, voice acting would propably push the quality of the storytelling way upwards if it's done anywhere near decently. an actually talking character is much more believable, which i think is partly why Warcraft 3 is telling it's story so well.

I'm not a skilled map editor, but i can learn. Such a project is partly why i sought out this site.

I think such a project sould use the Warcraft 3 methos of changing POV halfway through and tell a story that is a compromise between the two campaigns, and try to follow what has later become accepted Warcraft Lore. Still it should try to let in as many of the battles of WC2 as possible, and propably a few more.

Part of the question is wether you would like to remake warcraft 2 as closely as possible, or make a campaign that tells the story of the Scond war.

My vote is at the last one, as it would make the most out of the WC3 engine and give you a good story to work on.

Level 12
I can help with the missions. I'm pretty sure I can remeber most of them, but sadly not the proper names.

The problem with War2 was that some missions were insanley short. There was one orc mission were all you had to do was rescue a unit and return it to a base not far away. You may have to step out side the box, and take in parts that wernt directly involved, like Proudmore and Lord Lothar's missions, although those ones were rather scetchy on most details.

You would also have to work hard on making heros almsot like units too, since they wern't involved with the game (with the exeption of a few times, like excorting and other things). You would have to make heros that are so... normal..... that players woudn't focus on them to make it seem more like War2 then War3.

I'd say look over whatever missions you can find (or if you have that game still, thats better) and decided how you want to approch this, by either cutting and adding missiosn, or going strait through and doing it exactly like War2. I'd have to so cut and add, since it will add more flexibility to the campgain over-all

Level 1
i say one should make it warcraft 2 story in wc3ish way. cut and add as fitting is my vote, and focus on storytelling.

Level 14
I like the idea. But it would be good if you added certain things such as what Coolty said. And I would love to dig up some lore to help you.

Level 14
I've never seen warcraft 2 in the stores but you can proably buy it off of ebay or something like that or download it online even. But thats beside the point. The warcraft 2 missions can be made a lot more vast on warcraaft 3 I mean you could make the maps bigger and more in dept add side missions and maybe even add missions that happened but you couldn't play them on warcraft 2. I think it would be a great thing for anyone who wanted to play warcraft 2 yet didn't want the tiny maps and low graphics with it.

Level 7
I might be interested in helping you out on this one. (I'd have to play through the war2 campaigns again first though, it's been along time since I've laid my hands on it :s)

Status
Not open for further replies.