• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Walk/Run Cycle Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I am currently editing a model I plan to use for a map.

I want to make a walk and a run cycle.

I can animate them fine.

But how does that translate in game? How do I tag it appropriately? How do I define the walk/run metrics in game?

Thank you.

Level 21
I am currently editing a model I plan to use for a map.

I want to make a walk and a run cycle.

I can animate them fine.

But how does that translate in game? How do I tag it appropriately? How do I define the walk/run metrics in game?
I don't know whether you'll find this helpful since I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by "a walk and a run cycle", but here is an edited part of a longer comment I wrote in another thread a few years ago:

The unit editor fields 'Art - Animation - Run Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' affect the speed at which the model performs its 'Walk' animation(s). They only affect the speed of the animation itself, and not how fast the unit moves across the map.

Most standard models have only one 'Walk' animation and these two fields are set to the same value in almost all standard units.

The smaller the average (middle value) between Walk Speed and Run Speed is, the faster the 'Walk' animation is played. As the difference between Run Speed and Walk Speed increases, the speed at which the model performs its 'Walk' animation also increases.

Some models have an additional 'Walk Fast' animation, such as Pit Lord, Kodo Beast, Magnataurs, Lizards and Spiders. For those units, the average between 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Run Speed' determines which animation is used, 'Walk' or 'Walk Fast'.

If 'Movement - Speed Base' is greater than or equal to the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, 'Walk Fast' is the default animation. However, if the unit's movement speed is reduced (e.g. Slow or Cripple) below the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, it will switch to using 'Walk' instead of 'Walk Fast'.

If 'Movement - Speed Base' is lower than the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, 'Walk' is the default animation. However, if the unit's movement speed is increased (e.g. Bloodlust or Scroll of Speed) to a value equal to or above the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed, it will switch to using 'Walk Fast' instead of 'Walk'.

If Walk Speed is greater than Run Speed, the results are inverted; i.e. 'Walk' is used instead of 'Walk Fast' and vice versa.

Level 6
I have a model with a run animation and a walk animation. When their move speed gets to a certain point, I want the model to automatically switch to the run animation.

Level 21
I have a model with a run animation and a walk animation. When their move speed gets to a certain point, I want the model to automatically switch to the run animation.
Isn't that exactly what I explained in the second half of my reply above? I guess you didn't get a chance to look at it.

Also, I must point out that 'Run' is not a valid animation name that is recognized by the game; you should use 'Walk Fast' instead.

Level 6
Isn't that exactly what I explained in the second half of my reply above? I guess you didn't get a chance to look at it.

Also, I must point out that 'Run' is not a valid animation name that is recognized by the game; you should use 'Walk Fast' instead.

Is there a game constant or something that can play "walk fast" when a unit hits over like.. 150 move speed, but otherwise just use "walk"?

Level 6
As Hermit explained, the only way to configure the threshold at which point « Walk Fast » is used instead of « Walk » (or the other way around) is through adapting your Animation - Run & Walk Speeds values according to the Movement Speed value of your unit.
Or, you can use the « Add/Remove Animation Tag » action in a trigger to add or remove « Fast ».
But no gameplay constant for that, because it's not a global value, it can be different for each unit.

Level 6
I don't know whether you'll find this helpful since I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by "a walk and a run cycle", but here is an edited part of a longer comment I wrote in another thread a few years ago:

The unit editor fields 'Art - Animation - Run Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' affect the speed at which the model performs its 'Walk' animation(s). They only affect the speed of the animation itself, and not how fast the unit moves across the map.

This is what I was looking for. The animation tag walk fast and walk is what I needed to know, and it's set under animation. But does the walk speed cap means the model will "walk" up until say 190? Why is there even two separate; "Art - Animation - Run Speed / Walk Speed" stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.