• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Voice Acting Tips, Hints, and Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Greetings, I am new to the Voice Acting arena, and I was hoping that some of you could answer my questions and queries.

1st: Basic hints and tips.

2nd: Audacity hints and tips.

3rd: If you have info, knowledge of, or have, any plugins, programs, or ect. That are great for voice acting, sound editing/creation, or ect...Please tell me.

And also if you have any of the above that are great for making voices more epic. IE: More angelic, more evil, more spacey, more protoss like, Darth Vaderish...ect. Please tell me.

And any other hints, tips, and voice acting stuff...is welcome.

Thankyou.

-Elenai the Epic-

Level 10
Mess around with your voice. Try singing, or imitating people, to see what you can do with your voice. Try speaking at high low and middling pitches, within comfortable ranges (don't want to kill your voice, or make it sound too forced). Try putting on accents, or making up voices.

Make sure you have a decent microphone, that you can record with without having background noise or buzzing or the like coming through when you play it back.

Keep at it. You may not be too happy with how things come out initially, but over time, with a bit of effort, and a lot of experimenting, you can get a range of things that can sound really good.

Haven't really got any hints as towards Audacity, sorry.

Level 35
Thanks for the advice Technomancer...I have some practice rounds already, I shall upload them perhaps so that you can better measure my skill.

Are there anymore among you who can help me?

Especially plugin effects for Audacity...I need those especially.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Well, El, there's one important thing in voice acting that you must remember: Effects aren't anything. You need to bend your voice, give it that angelic, vaderish or whatever note it is you are seeking. The effects will polish it for you. But remember, the true power of the actor comes from within, not from the decorations around him.

By all means show us your work, do not hesitate, I will be happy to see what your skills are and give you advise on how to improve them.

Sincerely,
Frostwhisper, the shaman.

Personally,when I do voices,I make sure my mic is working perfectly and find a distance where I can speak loud enough and clear enough that there isn't any fuzz in the recording.

When it comes to deeper voices, before I start recording I just scream or like...growl or something until my throat hurt,I keep repeating the lines I want in different tones or just position the muscles in my throat for a certain sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.