• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Viridescent Land

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Recommended Players:
2v2

Playable Area:
116x116

Tileset:
Lordaeron Summer

4 + 4 Total mines

6 green camps
20 orange camps
2 red camps (plus player spawns)

28 Total camps

4 Goblin Labs
1 Tavern
2 Mercenary Camps
2 Goblin Merchants

Made with 2v2 in mind, may or may not be acceptable for 1v1 gameplay (try at your own risk)

Teams spawn north vs south

Changelog:

Update 1
- Worked a bit on doodads
- Added a couple of trees around the shop and rearranged the creeps to surround the building to make them deeper in their area
- Removed some rocks to put the orange camp trolls deeper in
- Changed main gold mines to 14000 gold and expansions to 10000

Update 2
- Swapped expansions and laboratory positions
- Further worked on the shop creeps so they don't aggro
- Every gold mine back to 12500 gold
- Fixed cliff pathing issues
Previews
Contents

Viridescent Land (Map)

Reviews
Nudl9
The map looks simple, readable and has enough interesting things to bring to the table. I think there might be some issues with drawing aggro in certain places. Like the green trolls in the water and the goblin shop. It doesn't seem like a huge issue...
mafe
Map not updated in a long time. Therefore set to useful/simple.
Level 24
The map looks simple, readable and has enough interesting things to bring to the table.

I think there might be some issues with drawing aggro in certain places.
Like the green trolls in the water and the goblin shop.
It doesn't seem like a huge issue since those camps aren't on main paths, so i don't know.
I'm too lazy to test.

The landscape is big enough for big 2v2 fights, so that's good.
Access to mines seem easy to take, but hard to defend so i doubt more than 1 expansion will go into play.
Maybe tweak it so the starter mine has a little extra gold, to around 14k~.
Teching or rush seems the way to go, i'm not sure how you'll be able to pull of an expansion.

The main strategy seems to be lab camp, buy shredder and tech.

Enviroment is simple, but i think it's nice.
Overall memorable to look at and it should be easy to tell where you fight on the map by a quick glance.
The red camp seems nasty, because the archways serve as a choke that cause the ogre's shockwave to deal more damage.
Forcing players to pull outside or fight inside.
I like the small brush of trees behind the mercenary camps.
I could see big plays going down here, with it serving as a jukespot or strategic chokepoint during a retreat.

I think you can improve doodads a little.
The cattails for example are placed in a very ordered fashion.
Try sprinkling them a more randomly.
I would like to see a few shrubbery or enviromental doodads placed in the open.

The map seems tournament viable and it could be a solid map with testing and a few tweaks.

Level 4
thanks for the feedback, made a few changes:

- I'm pretty bad with doodads, but I worked a bit on it
- Slightly approached the shop creeps to the shop and made them a bit closer to each other (really won't be noticeable, I'm going to test a bit later and see how big of a problem it is)
- Removed some rocks to put the trolls deeper in

Wasn't sure about the gold mine part, kept it as is, I think the map is small enough for 12.5k gold

Level 4
changed main gold mines to 14,000 gold and expos down to 10,000

also worked a bit more on doodads and changed the goblin shop a bit added a couple trees and rearranged the creeps to surround the shop.

appreciate the feedback

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Overall this is not a bad map. Creeps and itemdrops are balanced. There is enough open space on the map.

Potential issues are as follows:
-As @Nudl9 said, the expansions seem to be hard to defend. Imho this could mean that 2v2 games are even more likely to become mass t1 games than usual.
-Pathing has some "bugs", see this screenshot (but also check the rest of the map for similar issues):
upload_2020-7-30_10-4-40.png
Red marks a buggy tile that is unpathable, probably due to chaning the ramp too many times. Better redo that are again from scratch.
Orange chokes would be too small in 1v1, let alone 2v2.
Yellow marks accidential gaps between doodads. Small units like footmen will walk past those gaps and unintentionally split from the rest of the army and might even walk into creeo.
-The creeps at the shops can accidentially aggro by units that just want to walk by. The same also applies to the expansions, but it's harder to fix there.
-Something more subjective: I simply dont like these large patches of pure rock tiles. Other than that, the maps looks ok.

Overall, the map right now seems somewhat "generic", which depending on your personal taste can be either a good or a bad thing.

Nevertheless, I think the pathing issues and the accidentially aggroing (on the shops at least) can be considered bugs that should be fixed. Therefore map set to Awaiting Update until then.
Also, sorry for making you wait for the moderation.

Last edited:
Level 4
Swapped gold mines and labs, it was how I originally intended it anyway, hopefully that makes it better. Also reverted the gold mines gold since it's a different layout now.

Hopefully fixed the shop aggro'ing. Fixed the cliff pathing issues and widened the ramps.

Fixed the gaps between doodads. Had no idea you could see the ground pathing, would've been nice to know when I was placing trees in the beginning. Thanks for showing me that!

Moved the little patch of doodads behind the merc camps a little farther away to make more room for movement.

And yes, this was intended to be a very generic map, no gimmicks or anything unique to it outside of its layout.

Thanks for the feedback!

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So, after another lengthy delay:
1. There are still two bugged tiles at the ramp at the western merc camp, similar tot the screenstho above.
2. (Now) the creeps at the labs are likely to attack player units by accident.
3. The red camps in the north/south are nearly defenseless against air units.

So, overall, would you mind doing fixing 1 and try to see if you can come up for improvements for 2/3? Until then, set to Awaiting update again.
If you have other stuff in mind now, please tell me, and I might approve the map anyway.