• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Violet Square

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
VIOLET SQUARE

This well-kept city have recently been invaded by bandits, whilst groundmonsters contain the outern regions of this zone.
There's no escape but to fight yourself out of a contained area, and follow one of the diagonal roads out of the city.

so the map description says, this is a regular melee map, and i strived to make it very regular, and normal.
i want to say thanks to my littlebrother, "Cold-scotch" for testing, although he did it very little. also, to drag me into a melee map making frenzy, where i created a lot of melee maps, and here's the best.

"all visible" mode is not recommended, it makes the minimap look bad. but if you can live with that, you're welcome.

i made this map while waiting for testers to sign up to my other project, Stranded in outland.

i am also The_Clam, i no longer use Gamecrafter_DK, which i am unfortunately stuck with, here on THW.

Changelog:
Fixed all APproject and septimus' points, i think.

Keywords:
melee, tileset, dalaran, bandit, 2v2, FFA, 4 players, The_Clam.
Contents

Violet Square (Map)

Reviews
23:56, 28th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: See posts #3 and #6 for referal. I noticed the utterly bad terrain, anyway I won't go into it since they mentioned it all. I suggest making a thread in the Map Development Forum since you are on a long way with...

M

23:56, 28th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2:
See posts #3 and #6 for referal. I noticed the utterly bad terrain, anyway I won't go into it since they mentioned it all. I suggest making a thread in the Map Development Forum since you are on a long way with this map, Rejected.

Level 31
I rate this melee map by 1/5 and I suggest it for Rejection because of it's poor quality. My rating will remain like this until Author fix at least few points below.

1. Terrain and enviroment art is cheaply done. Big lack of doodads. Entire map is out of doodads, I couldn't find any doodad in your map. You obviously need to work much harder than that. Basically, you need to remake entire enviroment, if it exist at all at the moment.
2. Additional Gold Mines are exactly on the edge of map. You should add trees there.
3. Player owned Gold Mines are not protected by creeps. You must add creeps that guards it.
4. I ought you to remove the gates as a boundary that do not lets you to reach enemies' bases. Playing it multiplayer, it isn't a major problem, but if I would play it Single Player, it would be a global problem. Default Melee AI is not that smart to destroy the gates that do not let's them to reach you. They would just wander nearby the gate expecting to cross it and nothnig else.
5. In my opinion, player owned Gold Mines has too big amount of gold. You should reduce it.

Anyway, you need to work more than that to make it worth attention, trust me. Killer of my rating was 1st and 3rd point.
I hope i didn't overdo the text colouring...
No, not at all. It was refreshing, lol. When I opened this thread, all attention got into the description and it was like telling me - READ ME! x)

good, i'll get right on it, i totally forgot to look at the doodad toolpalette... and i didn't know that the AI wouldn't kille the castles... what about bridges over small ponds? is that a good option?

i have placed some doodads... i mean the bridge thingy instead of the secondary gates, not the first gates, they are replaced with dead gates.

Last edited:
Level 31
1) Description - Look ok to me, but seems to be a little girlish.
2) Item - Seems to be a little inbalance. Level 5 creep drop level 6 charge item? Those level 6 charge item are capable to summon a rather powerful monster.
3) Creep - I would said a balance issue occur as well. 12 unit just to guard 1 fountain? That's quite a lot for just 1 fountain.
4) Bug/Error - Gate effect AI and neutral hostile, just like Approject mention.
5) Resources distribution - I do believe lumber was far too little.
6) Terrain - I would have to said you did a rather bad job over it. Seems like you only use 2 type of destructible.

Based on the current quality control at hiveworkshop. I would said 1/5.

Level 5
done testing heres is what i think
Pros:
Good idea for a melee map
Neutral:
small bases didnt know which to place under since it has its pros and cons
Cons:
Creeps in start...
Some of the terrain needs serious improvements
:hohum:

Last edited:
Level 31
Oh come on! You improved terrain and enviroment? All I saw that was added was a spam of bushes nearly the gold mines, spam of that blue-like glowing thing also nearly the gold mines and few sticks with heads nearly to each gold mine. When I was saying, You need to work much more than that, I meant working at least 5-8 hours only on the enviroment. How much of attention did you pay adding that stuff there? 3 minutes?

Here, this is my work so far on your map. It's only the middle of map. However, it's not symetrical at all, because I was doing it on rush. Work of 15 minutes - screenshot below:
sample1.jpg

well, you seem good at it... it might be that i'm not that good a terrainer. things like what you've done, it would be pretty, but don't fit in, i think... and i have used a lot of time on the terrain, i just spend most of my time on the tiles. i'm just not that good on making those doodads fit. Sorry :'(

Edit; well, 'nuff of that, if you wanna reterrain the entire map, i'll post a great credit to you, but it's only an offer. my speciality lies in making ideas, and triggering in GUI.

Last edited: