• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Village square

Description:
This is a village square. The people of the village meet here to hold markets, festivals, executions or other important events. Also the main village well is placed on the square providing the people with water for washing, drinking, blowing out fires, etc. The village square is bounded by loosely build wooden fences and also serves to temporary store stuff like boxes and barrels.

The model only uses ingame textures and has a portrait camera, team colour and the standard animations (Stand/Birth/Death/Decay). It is kind of inspired by the markt place of the 'Anno' series.

Updates:
-Added a team coloured roof to the well
-Resized the well (Smaller in hight but broader)
-Added some more team-coloured stuff to the square (Carpet and roof tiles)
-Added GeosetAnims for the decay animation
-Added ground platform
-Merged objects together to reduce file size (about 10%)

Pls give credits, if you use it in your map.

Keywords:
village, square, building, structure, place, market, anno, well, fountain,
Contents

Village square (Model)

Reviews
26th August General Frank: Changes are made. The model is quite nice performs well ingame. You should still add some kind of solid ground to it.

M

26th August
General Frank:

Changes are made.
The model is quite nice performs well ingame.
You should still add some kind of solid ground to it.

Level 48
I'd say this is pretty useful; one use I can see for it is as a control point in a 'capture the flag' scenario, another use is simply as part of a village; for example in an RPG or altered melee map.

I'd suggest you put some extra detail in the well however; make it from scratch perhaps. It is rather simple at this point and doesn't looks too much like the 'main' well. Just another tiny well. :p

@All: Thx for the comments.:thumbs_up:

I'd suggest you put some extra detail in the well however; make it from scratch perhaps.

Yea, I'll remake the well and will also add some extra team coloured stuff to the square. But as I'll be away for about a week and probably won't have internet access I won't be able to update the model until I return.

Oh; why was it rejected?

Probably because the model wasn't good enough/too simple to be accaptable under the harsh judgement of General Frank^^

Level 13
@All: Thx for the comments.:thumbs_up:

Yea, I'll remake the well and will also add some extra team coloured stuff to the square. But as I'll be away for about a week and probably won't have internet access I won't be able to update the model until I return.

Probably because the model wasn't good enough/too simple to be accaptable under the harsh judgement of General Frank^^

lamfo ..... i agree with general frank the model its......too simple :( whene i look at it i see that something is missing :-\ but idk wat...

if its a meating place for traders where are some trade marekts?o.o

That's exactly the point for the free space! I made it so that you still can place your own trade markets or other stuff on the square and that you are able to place them there temporarly as these trade markets will be own models. For my map for example, I used a pathing map with buildable space on the square so that trader units can build trader stands on the village square. And there are enough nice trader stand models here on the Hive that you can use (like this).

Maybe make the whole thing stand on a platform, and the well on a slightly raised platform(or rather; a slightly raised platform around the well, with a(not visible) hole in the middle of it, for the well).

A very nice idea! But when I add such a platform it must have a dirt ground texture so that it still looks like a village square and not a town square. I plan also on doing a town square (as an upgrade to this building) what definitively will have a stone textured platform.

very nice 5/5 ;p
but this should have been a doodand lol
anyway as long as it works i don't care ;p
also...90kb is a bit too much...maybe you could reduce the sixe in the future :p

You can use it as what ever you want, but I made it as building so it also has build and death animations (what doodads mostly don't have).
And about the filsize. I tried to hold it down as low as possible, but with it still having enough details to be pretty from a closer look (like in a RPG). Also people complained about it being too simple, so I had to add some more details (what made it even bigger of course).
But thx for the rating :thumbs_up:

You could provide us also with pathing maps which could use full potential of this model.

Pathing maps can be done very easily and fast with Paint. But I'll attach the pathing map that I use for the Village square in my map. (However in my map normal units are scaled down to 0.5 and the Village square is scaled to 1.58 to suit the scaled down units.)

Attachments

• VK71 (Village square).tga
    318 bytes · Views: 67
Level 13
I'll reccomend you to this villagesquare, make more better. My ideas are : MarketPlace(a one man or woman selling something) tailor, a an little house like office(guard tower) and everything of that would be combined MP with Guard Tower, just MP, and just GT, same with tailor ;)