• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Vexorian's Map Optimizer Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
When I'm trying to optimize my map with Vex's Optimizer, the program will (varying with settings) Lock up during "Closing Map MPQ Archive" while it does what I assume is massive file I/O. After about 45 seconds, the optimized map file comes out with a size of ~1.3gbs. Why is this happening?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
An error in the program. It must get itself into an infinite write loop.

I am unsure, but I think it is caused by the MPQ libraries used, and not the optimizer program itself. Similar bugs exist in many of the old MPQ editors which likely all used the same old base library.

Unlike the tools, the library itself has and still is being upgraded with such problems fixed. Unfortunately I do not think one can upgrade the library used by the tool without having the tool source code and re-building.

I recommend messing around with the various options available. Especially ones archive related and possible JASS related as those are the areas which the tool does the most work. I remember one of them helping stop the problem but forget which as it has been several years.

Do be aware that Vexorian Optimizer only supports "unprotected" maps. Using it on a protected map will very likely cause the behaviour described. Most map protectors damage the MPQ archive in some way which breaks old MPQ libraries badly.

Level 13
Do be aware that Vexorian Optimizer only supports "unprotected" maps. Using it on a protected map will very likely cause the behaviour described. Most map protectors damage the MPQ archive in some way which breaks old MPQ libraries badly.
Yeah, you have to adjust the settings if you use more than one optimizer to avoid problems when using the 2nd optimizer. This was happening with an unprot map

I recommend messing around with the various options available. Especially ones archive related and possible JASS related as those are the areas which the tool does the most work. I remember one of them helping stop the problem but forget which as it has been several years.
I've done this too. When crashes were happening with options relating to optimizing the script, I spent an hour or so tinkering with the options. I was still able to optimize my map a fair amount, but now this new problem happening disables me from optimizing it very much. (I might have also mistaken my method for getting around the crash before xD I'll have to tinker around some more to find out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.