• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vehicles Passing Through Units/Destructibles - Best Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm trying to set up a vehicle that can plow over all destructibles and units around it, but not pass over buildings or raised terrain.

At first I tried simply giving it the Fly movement type with no height, because that would let it look like it was driving around while passing through units and destructibles, but the problem with this I couldn't figure out if it could be changed is that flying units automatically compensate for height they are approaching and rise up in anticipation of walls and buildings, meaning my cars are flying into the air when they come near raised terrain because they are technically flying and only just adjusting their height to pass over the wall. If there was some way to make it so they do the rise up thing not at all or only at the last second before going into a different height would be nice.

I thought about Ghost but then remembered that one is only just invisibility, not the ability to move through things as if you were a ghost.

Anyways if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. The flying thing works best right now except for the vehicles trying to compensate for heights. I'm also worried about all the flying pathing blocking doodads I'll have to put on walls to keep them from flying over them causing me to run out of available doodads that could be used elsewhere visually.

Level 7
You could make an immolation spell that kills doodads and units that are close to it.
Note that you should use the permanent immolation spell.
Also, doodads should be remade into destructibles (or else they can't be destoyed).

Level 6
You could make an immolation spell that kills doodads and units that are close to it.
Note that you should use the permanent immolation spell.
Also, doodads should be remade into destructibles (or else they can't be destoyed).

I already have a working kill system, that isn't the problem at all. My question is how to make the unit move realistically, because even with immolation or whatever, it would still try to path around units and destructibles. Flying movement fixes this somewhat, only it rises up to move over heights and it looks silly.

Level 3
A unit won't ignore the pathing map, its just a fundamental part of WarCraft 3's pathing AI. At least to my knowledge.

Level 6
You two aren't understanding. First off it doesn't matter if I make the immolation do a million damage, the unit will try to path around the zombies before they die since obviously they exist and are getting in the way. I'm not even using immolation, I have triggers that work better. I already brought up pathing blockers on cliff myself.

And I'm not trying to ignore the pathing map, well technically I sort of am since flight passes over almost everything as if it were not there, what I'm trying to fix is how the car raises into the air as it approaches cliffs and things. I thought maybe it was because the collision size was so large but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'm starting to consider having an invisible flying dummy unit that you order around and the car just being constantly moved under it or attached in some way.

Level 3
Try reducing "Art - Elevation - Sample Radius" to 0, but in my experience, you can't really do much about objects being raised near cliffs, the terrain at that point is techinically rising even if it doesn't look like it.

For the zombies, you can use the trigger "Unit - Turn Collision On/Off" in order to make the unit ignore obstacles during pathing (they are still obstacles themselves to other objects). From memory, this doesn't ignore the Pathing Map, just other object collisions, so give back this unit's "Pathing - Collision Size" for other objects to treat it properly.

I don't know if this'll work, but, if you want to avoid using the Turn Collision On/Off trigger, see if setting "Pathing - Collision Size" to -1. If you don't know how, hold shift and double click the field to have World Editor allow a negative value. As said, I don't know if that'll work, I've never tried it and don't know what it'll do.

Level 6
That last part could work somewhat, I don't want everything to avoid the zombies just the cars, but maybe if I trigger the cars to have no pathing instead? I know about the shift for negative values but right now it's collision is at 0. Not sure what -1 will do to it but I'll try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.