• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Van Helsing 2.52

Van Helsing is an AoS based on the movie, not the comic!

This map is basically like Castlevania meets DOTA. Custom heroes, abilities, items (show up on characters), some neat features and all around cool map.

New stuff in 2.5:

- 2 new secret heroes that require a quest to become them
- Lots of bug fixes
- New magic resistance items and magic resistant guards (instead of immune)
- Lots of small things that nobody will ever notice but me =)

This is a fun map, people like it, but it's not your typical AOS.
The heroes are not super powerful, takes some time to get really strong and conquer the map, as so designed. This is not made to be played in under half an hour.
With a FH it can go for 1-2 hours.

Feedback is appreciated. And thanks to every at hive for sick models.

Keywords:
AOS, van helsing, vanhelsing, dracula
Contents

Van Helsing 2.52 (Map)

Reviews
22:49, 18th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2: A AoS that can differ from the rest and show a interesting game style. Although it has it's down sides, such as imbalance, unoriginal spells and odd terrain in places, it will still prove to be a fun to play...

M

22:49, 18th Mar 2009 by bounty hunter2:
A AoS that can differ from the rest and show a interesting game style. Although it has it's down sides, such as imbalance, unoriginal spells and odd terrain in places, it will still prove to be a fun to play map. Thus Approved with a 3/5 (Useful) rating.

You can find my full review Here.

sib

sib

Level 2
dont misjudge this map dude, this map is not like dota, it just a AOS map with more unique concept and more stuff.

its pretty cool map. i approved it.

good job, bpnunez!!!!

Level 4
Hello

It's easy to say something based on a cursory judgement you're making, but if you play the map I think you'll find it's fairly balanced despite the terrain division.

The smaller side gives the advantage of mobility for the heroes, they can respond to threats quicker than the human side, and the larger side for the humans really only adds space to move around.

If you let this map play out with no heroes playing the battle stays pretty even.

I made the map this way because I absolutely cannot stand squares or anything "standard".

And then again, it is what it is. Like it or not, =)

Level 4
Well ok

I find if you really enjoy a map it brings other people into it. When you're disinterested or decide it sucks, people flee like lemmings.

Just an observation. Again, it is what it is. I'm not selling anything.

Level 5
I see. Clearly, we can't deduce the quality of a map just by a few rounds in Bnet. This map is indeed well-made. It's just that some people aren't convinced that it is.

Haha. BTW, good luck on your future development. Hope to see this map in circulation in Bnet in the future. :)

Level 4
I appreciate the thoughtful consideration.

It's not the most efficiently coded map, being that most of my triggers are GUI written, but I certainly took time with the mechanisms of the map, especially the item attachment system, class system and hero abilities.

I've found many people enjoy the map, but some don't take it seriously because it is unconventional.

But that's fine. I make maps that I would like playing.

Level 24
I'm here to play the map:

Upon my review,probably you'll get a good score!

This post will be edited in the review!

Okay as an user,my impression was Holy Shit!

The map is great,I really wonder why nobody looked at it!

Okay here's the review:

[+]Well,the awesome gameplay,at first!
[+]The map is well terrained,it really impressed me!
[+]Well for an AoS,it pretty much turned into a siege!It's better :cool:
[+]Also awesome chosen models!
[/]Well ''Transylvania''
[/]Van Helsing the Level 10 Badass has fallen,what the? :confused:
[/]The Paladin hero is melee,it would of been better for him to be Ranged!
[-]Well,badly made heroes!
[-]Mass Teleportation is more of a Single Teleportation!
[-]This unit cannot attack air units! (realistic yes,but not playable and not fair)
[-]It takes to much time to load,even if the map is fun in SP,in MP it will cause a lot of lag and stress to other players! Not machine friendly!
[-]Next time,make sure to give credits for the models used!
[-]And also,the cinematics were good,but the battle starts early and ends late! I mean Lucifer talks to Dracula and peasants walk nearby him! Or at the starting cinematic they begin to fight!

Killer Point
The story behind it,was ravaging,I don't have words.The terrain matched well with the ambience and the game theme.Also,at the end that conversation between Lucifer and Dracula was brilliant,also at the epic end,an angel rose behind Lucifer.

The variation was well,there were critters for both Good and Evil.The map was very large and so different,not monotone ,and yet you had so much to explore!

The variation of items per class was a dumb idea,but there were many to pick from,you just didn't knew were!
Stupid
Well,firstly the items,trying to buy other class items would only waste your gold,you should of made specific parts on were to buy items from,or simply make them all ''All Classes''

Also,the army was starting too early and ending too late,make sure you modify that!

Also,you butchered the heroes,they don't have enough mana even to use spells,they are simply too weak!

Also,another thing,Dracula's base,had too many neutral buildings!

Well,I would continue on and on,but I guess that wrapps it all up!

I'm happy to say that this map is awesome and really deserves a 5/5,for it's originality and variation!

Have a bright day and keep on rocking and map making ,yours trully Hermit:grin:

Last edited:
Level 4

2.5 is out. Lots of little things. Bug fixes, but the biggest thing is 2 new secret heroes with inter-dimensional travel abilties.

Well im not working on anything atm. I have some ideas but not the blood and sweat to pull them off alone =[.

2.5 rating would be appreciated. Oh and the other thing is all heroes get more mana per level thanks to your comments Hermit =P

Level 1
I think I found a small bug.

The shadow orb that supposedly protected the vamp heroes from sunlight didn't work.

Lol,I got pwned by the Sun.

Level 2
Alright map, some heroes are a bit more powerful and useful than others. Overall, not bad. 3/5.

Level 2
Pretty good map. I like the variation from other AoS maps.
Terrain was nice & the cinematography was good.

Level 18
bounty hunter2's Review on Van Helsing 2.52

I have played this map this morning, and now again. Oddly, the movie Van Helsing is playing on television at the moment. Destiny? Who knows, anyway, here we go!

Van Helsing is a AoS styled map for up to 10 players, five on each side. Each player takes one hero and his goal is to destroy the main building of the opposition, with his allyes and the computer NPCs.

To start, as I always do, the terrain. It was done well fine. First of all the part I didn't like the most, is the Blizzard cliff river. You should use the height tool for rivers instead of this. Secondly, you varied a lot of tiles and it didn't turn out good, such as the volcano part. The cathedral part is too empty and void of dodoads aswell.

To continue, the heroes. The model choices were good and I liked them, however when we come to spells, those were bad. The tooltips were to short and unoriginal. Aswell as the spells, who are mostly edited Blizzard ones with only several triggered I think.

The gameplay itself is interesting, differing from most of the AoS boredom. It adds up a lot of quests you can achieve, that can eventually lead to victory. The balance isn't perfect, it can't be, however it isn't that bad.

The items were mostly fine, however I highly dislike the classing of them. Since when I took a monster hero, I thought I could buy items for melee, heck I'm melee too. I can lost a lot of gold that way, actually new players could.

What I also disliked is, that one side could choose from the tavern, and one not. Both sides should choose from taverns and taverns only. And a bad thing is, that on the start I couldn't find places, such as when I was Draculas side, I couldn't find the altar, you should write some text on the start: Choose your hero from the altar etc. I also had a hard time finding the prisoner guy on the map. The presentation of the map should be done better, including more images and info about the game, and crediting aswell, not only ingame.

To conclude, this AoS does differ from the mases and is certanlly a fun play. It has it's downsides, but still I can suggest it to anyone wiling to spend some time warcrafting, other then Dota. This map is useful, thus: 3/5 (Useful) and Approved!

Last edited:
Level 4
Hi there, I just downloaded this. I already have 2.51, but, I noticed a couple of bugs. One, when I use the First-Person view with Lady Mag, the tooltip gets all messed up and I lose my fire ability, instead, the Eagle/scope goes away and is replaced with another frost nova. I saved the map and restarted it and the eagle/scope showed up but the fire was gone. I was level thirteen when this happened. 2nd, while using the teleporting statues, my character gets stuck in random spots, thus, forcing me to commit -suicide and losing money. 3rd, when I use the elemental lighting ability with Lady Mag, As she levels up the ability gets weaker and does not last as long as it says; it only lasts about 5 seconds. Good Luck, again, I have not played this map yet, but I am looking forward to it. This is a really fun map and it has a lot to offer. I love how there are so many things to do outside of just fighting towers. Great Job so far!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Level 4
Hey there,

A Moderator may want to consider removing this map, or contacting the Map-Creator. bpnunez hasn't logged on since "Last Activity: 07-09-2009 10:46 PM" and this map no longer plays with the current Blizzard Patches. Right now, the current Blizzard Patch is 1.26. I downloaded this today. I had reformatted and re-installed WC3 recently and was forced to download the new patch.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great map, but is very inactive and it doesn't look like the map creator is even involved anymore. If someone wanted to help me, I would like to remake this map. I thought it was cool to have an AOS that also had quests.

Level 4
Unfortunately

I have indeed been checked out for a while and no longer have the original editable map file. Otherwise I would take the time to update it to work with the latest patch version.

Sorry guys!