• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Uprooted Units & Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm trying to create Ancients with combat abilities when Uprooted. However, giving them abilities only gives them the ability when they are Rooted and their abilities (Except eating goddamn trees) are removed when uprooted.

What gives? How can I provoke uprooting to give a new set of abilities?

I'm about ready to tear my hair out on this, so any help would be appreciated.
I use GUI triggers.

This has been an unresolved problem for over a decade funny enough but even funnier is that there has always been a solution too though it is a bit buggy and knowing refailed, it might not even work anymore.

Edit: Wasn't sure if I wanted to share this long kept secret but may as well so its Rooted, burrow/unburrow, uproot then can use abilities and items like any normal unit/hero.

Last edited:
Level 1
Have you tried running a trigger to check to see when an Ancient performs an order equal to "unroot" or "root", then checking what unit it is before giving or taking away the abilities you want it to have?

Thank you @Wazzz for the suggestion, I'm going to try that out.

This has been an unresolved problem for over a decade funny enough but even funnier is that there has always been a solution too though it is a bit buggy and knowing refailed, it might not even work anymore.

Edit: Wasn't sure if I wanted to share this long kept secret but may as well so its Rooted, burrow/unburrow, uproot then can use abilities and items like any normal unit/hero.

I'm not quite sure I understand. Do you mean triggers so the unit roots, burrows, then changes into another unit which is then the rooted unit?

Have you tried running a trigger to check to see when an Ancient performs an order equal to "unroot" or "root", then checking what unit it is before giving or taking away the abilities you want it to have?

Didn't work. Gave the Ancient slam when it uprooted - and uproot was detected by the game and applied the ability, but ability was not on the unit before it rooted again - then suddenly the ability was available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1

Thanks for the help, Dat-C3, but I tried to work with your triggers to no avail despite them working fine in your map. Your triggerwork isn't exactly understandable to me.

Thanks for the help, Dat-C3, but I tried to work with your triggers to no avail despite them working fine in your map. Your triggerwork isn't exactly understandable to me.
Have the ancient root, use a burrow ability and then unburrow is all it is if you want uprooted ancients to be able to function like normal units.

Last edited:
Level 1
Have the ancient root, use a burrow ability and then unburrow is all it is if you want uprooted ancients to be able to function like normal units.

I see. Let me ask again to see if I've understood; When the Ancient starts its unroot effect, give it Burrow and then unburrow and then the Ancient will function normally?

I see. Let me ask again to see if I've understood; When the Ancient starts its unroot effect, give it Burrow and then unburrow and then the Ancient will function normally?
Only when the ancient is rooted can you do anything with it which in this case will let you bypass that limitation after you have the "Rooted" ancient use burrow and 0.01 seconds later unburrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.