• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upgraded World Editor Functions and Details

Should the War3 Reforged Editor be..

• More like Sc2 Editor!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • War3 Editor but improved!

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
As a map creator of Warcraft III, I hope that the new Editor in “Warcraft 3: Reforged” is similar to the current one in use, (ofc with improvements but largely the same) because relatively ‘simplistic’ and easy to use.
Unlike (Personal opinion) the Sc2 editor which is convoluted and relatively hard to use.

I also hope that it accepts the same file format as the original, such as blp, mdx, etc (ofc with the exception of map files) so the same files may be used, as there some well made/detailed models made for War3 and it would be unfortunate if they could no longer be utilized in the re-mastered edition.
Any thoughts? Or Ideas?

Level 1
I guess I'm the only one who voted for SC2...

Coming back to the official WE after all these years in anticipation for Reforged made me remember how much I loathed the Object Editor. Doing something as simple as changing the dimensions of a model without affecting other axes isn't even possible. Or the fact that you cannot create a "true" custom ability in the Object Editor without resorting to using a dummy + triggers.

Then there's other things like not being able to define/redefine object IDs and their parents on the fly outside of modifying the SLK. And the archaic Sound Editor which doesn't support basic features like point looping and custom soundsets. I know NewGen supported some things like custom IDs, but it's a third party tool and doesn't count.

This is obviously an unpopular opinion, but I feel that the WE would be massively improved if it leaned more towards the functionality of SC2's Editor. If that's not possible, then at least have a separate "advanced" version that looks and feels more like SC2's Editor (disabled by default, of course).

Reactions: Rui
Status
Not open for further replies.