• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Unwritten Terraining Rules

This tutorial is not one of the 'How to make a...' terraining tutorials. This one is about few rules that are not written, but are followed by every good terrainer. If you observe some of the best terrains on the site, I am sure you will find every single rule that is in this tutorial being used.

1. DO NOT USE WC3 MODELS
Try not to use Blizzard-made models. They are simply... bad. Low poly count, not too good textures, wrap is also not so good... This is applied for the big models even more. If you really have to use a Blizzard-made model, use a small one. In my opinion, the fiery shafts in Dungeon are made way better than the trees of Ashenvale, or any WC3 tree. I know that you can't compare a shaft to a tree, but they are modeled way better. Also, when you use Bliizard-made models, try not to use them as Blizzard intended to. For instance, use fiery shaft as a window of a demonic tower, or use a lantern or torch to make eyes of a monster, or whatever you can think off.

2. USE MULTIPLE DOODADS TO MAKE A SINGLE OBJECT
Every single terrainer, good or bad, novice or pro, need to know that when you make a building with 20 doodads instead of placing single building model, it looks way better. Use as many doodads as you can, but never spam with doodads. For instance, place 3 shorter pillars on top of each other, instead of placing one high pillar. By doing this, you will also not lose any resolution to stretching doodads. For another instance, you can place a normal WC3 building, and then put some barrels, crates and grass around it. When placing a tree or a rock, you should make it big, and put many small doodads around it.

3. USE LIGHTING
Although this requires some practice, lighting makes your terrain epic. Lighting effects are used to make all those beautiful sunsets, sunrises, moonlights, lens flares... The best way to make lighting effects is the GLOW model. Another way that should be used in combination with the first one is fog. Read some tutorials from this site, they are very helpful.

4. MAKE MANY DETAILS
What does really make any terrain epic? Definitely the number of small details, the ones that will never draw too much attention, but will always look great and flawless if someone looks directly at them. This includes light coming out from doors and windows, reflections in water, clouds, moon, sun, general sky, grass and bushes around the trees, and many more.

This is mostly everything I can think of. I will update if I think of anything else.

Level 4
I think you're half wrong with the first rule. The truth about it is on this line "try not to use them as Blizzard intended to" But you shouldn't discourage people to use Blizzard-made models.

While we all could agree those aren't the best in quality, you still can make some good stuff with them.. If you discourage people to not use those models, is like saying to not be creative. People will just use some custom models that make their work easier and we will never see something new.

The best terrain work out there wasn't made without Blizzard models..

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I think you're half wrong with the first rule.
Understandable. This whole tutorial is a bit short-circuited.

It's all half wrong.
4. MAKE MANY DETAILS
This whole paragraph is 50/50. I can see where you're coming from, but the ammount of details is a non-issue.
Look at it this way: The whole process is a balance and details can shift the scales in either direction.
Same story.

Construction techniques are nice, but if it isn't called for you should always go with the more adequate solution. Talk to any experimental terrainer about the horror in constructing a brick wall using made to measure bricks.

Level 4
Then we should call this "Another" guidelines thread.

"Construction techniques are nice" Quote. :grin:

Level 16
1. DO NOT USE WC3 MODELS
Try not to use Blizzard-made models. They are simply... bad. Low poly count, not too good textures, wrap is also not so good...
I'm sorry, we're not allowed to use models they made for us?

Every single terrainer, good or bad, novice or pro, need to know that when you make a building with 20 doodads instead of placing single building model, it looks way better.
Really?

Although this requires some practice, lighting makes your terrain epic.

EPIC TERRAIN TIME!

What does really make any terrain epic?
Next time in English please.

The Review!
Thoughts: Is this a joke?
Other Thoughts: Troll...
More thoughts... Irrelevant thoughts: Mmmm food.

Anyway is this tutorial for real?

off-topic: 500 POST COUNT SAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Level 4
Every single terrainer, good or bad, novice or pro, need to know that when you make a building with 20 doodads instead of placing single building model, it looks way better. Use as many doodads as you can, but never spam with doodads. For instance, place 3 shorter pillars on top of each other, instead of placing one high pillar. By doing this, you will also not lose any resolution to stretching doodads. For another instance, you can place a normal WC3 building, and then put some barrels, crates and grass around it. When placing a tree or a rock, you should make it big, and put many small doodads around it.

4. MAKE MANY DETAILS
What does really make any terrain epic? Definitely the number of small details, the ones that will never draw too much attention, but will always look great and flawless if someone looks directly at them. This includes light coming out from doors and windows, reflections in water, clouds, moon, sun, general sky, grass and bushes around the trees, and many more.

This is mostly everything I can think of. I will update if I think of anything else.

Kinda Agree About That 2 .. Yeah Its Better To Make A House Or Structure With A Multiple Kind Of Doodads.

Btw , Instead Posting This Thread .. Creat A Tutorial :D