• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

unknown software exception error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello hive!

I just started a new map, and I encountered a weird problem:

attachment.php

I try to translate (it's in german):
The exception "unknown software exception" (0xc0000409) appeared in the application at the point 0x02f0bff8.
Press 'OK', to close the program.

This error message appears when I test the map, and the loading bar is at 3/4.
I know why it happens, but I don't know how I can solve the problem:
I made a custom icon, and only change the tooltip - extended (between 4 and 5 lines of text). Then I test. Error.
I tried it with writing 'asd' and it works. I tested it on other maps, and yes, on every map, the same error appears.

I hope that someone can help me, because I want to creat custom icons again :(

Of course, everyone who helps get +rep

Attachments

• Unbenannt-2.jpg
    Unbenannt-2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,830
Level 6
This error is sometimes caused by a buffer overrun, where there is an array of a certain length and characters are written beyond the end of the array, overwriting other things in memory.

The text you typed is too long, you should reduce it or make it smaller.

How the hell can we guess what it is without the map provided?

It isn't a WC3 error is a general PC error, it can happen with other applications.

Level 6
But that's what the error 0xc0000409 means, the meaning of the error is that :/

May not be a problem of wacraft but may be from your computer.

If you share yor map we'll can tell you if it's wacraft or your computer.

PD: Are you playing with the last game version?

yes I have the latest patch, and it's not only the map, it's with all maps I open.
well, when it's an computer error, how can I fix it? It was never before that I wasn't able to write long tooltips, nor that an error message kicked me out of the game while loading.

How the hell can we guess what it is without the map provided?
If you share yor map we'll can tell you if it's wacraft or your computer.

like I said above and in my first post, it's on all maps.

Level 6
yes I have the latest patch, and it's not only the map, it's with all maps I open.

like I said above and in my first post, it's on all maps.

Sorry, but you didn't say in the first post that it happens on all the maps, you only told us about one.

Wait a second, the bar that "This error message appears when I test the map, and the loading bar is at 3/4.", is the loading bar from WE or from WC3??? You didn't say it clearly, if it's in WE why did you said "when I test" it must be "when I open/edit"...

You can't play ANY map on WC3? Then, it's VERY strange, you can be sure it's problem of your computer or warcraft files...

And if you can't open ANY map on WE, the same.

Level 6
But, does it really happens on ALL the maps you play? or only one or some?

The answer may be very different.

Sorry for the redundancy, but, you said "it's with all maps I open", that means that you can't play Warcraft?

well, with the standard items everything seems to be okay.
When I change the item tooltip of a standard item, the error appears...

And if I place one or more items of this type in the we, the message appears at the loading bar in warcraft. And if I create the item with triggers, the error appears when the item is on the map.

I can play warcraft, but when the special item is on the map the error appears.

//EDIT: I reinstalled warcraft again, and no, the error appears again. so it shouldn't be because of warcraft... but there must be a way to change it, because before I was able to make longer tooltips.

Last edited:
Level 6
Well, finally, I think I've undestood all the problem :xxd:

So we're on the start. (lol)

-----

This error is sometimes caused by a buffer overrun, where there is an array of a certain length and characters are written beyond the end of the array, overwriting other things in memory.

BUT

C style strings can't overbuffer (they are on the heap). Plus, blizz doesn't make such mistakes and leave them for over 5 years...

THEN

This type of error isn't supposed to happen.

SO

It's not a general error, it's a particular one.

-----

We're here xD

All that comes to my mind is that the problem is:

1st - Reinstalling Wacraft, EDIT: I've read your edit, so if you reinstalled Wacraft and the error continues here, the only possible thing that comes to MY mind is the next.

2nd - Your Computer, I don't have much experience with this type of error, but the problem could also be there, if that's the case, you have to ask someone else. :/

-----

Those are my ideas, they can be wrong, if someone knows more about this subjet, please share it with us :D

Status
Not open for further replies.