• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Units don't show up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Here is the deal: I have constructed a 192x192 test map and added it to a campaign. In the campaign object editor I have made a custom unit which I placed on my added map. I have set starting locations for two players to a Dalaran Violet Citadel, which is a Destructible. I have done this before and it has always resulted in no Town Hall and Peasants, which is the effect that I desire. So far so good. Now here is the problem: When I test my map, the Citadel thing does work, but only for one player. The Town Hall and Peasants for Player 1 (set to User) shows up to the left of the Citadel, but the ditto for Player 2 (set to Computer, as far as I can remember) hides obediently inside, just as I wanted it to. Further, my custom unit is nowhere to be seen.
I tried again, placing out additional units as well as my custom one, but still, only the undesired Town Hall and five Peasants.
The custom unit is a campaign unit. The map is part of a campaign and I have opened it from the Campaign Editor, but I do not know if it still counts as melee.
What am I doing wrong?

Level 2
i seem to have a similar problem with alot of custom models and no matter what i do i cannot fix it however i'll try different methods and if i find something i'll let you know

Level 7
Copy the unit from the Campaign editor\Custom data to the Object editor of the map. Delete the unit made in the campaign editor. Place the unit (that is in Object editor now) onto the map. You will when testing and playing it will appear. I had a similar problem with the units, they don't appear on the map if made in the Campaign editor. The same counts for the imported models. They don't work when imported into the Campaign editor.
-I use the campaign editor\imported files for importing multiple files to multiple maps. If I delete the files, I have the imported files in the campaign editor.

Level 2
But I'm sure I've been able to do this before. Besides, if this doesn't work then what is the point of the Campaign Object Editor?

Level 14
But I'm sure I've been able to do this before. Besides, if this doesn't work then what is the point of the Campaign Object Editor?
If you're testing with World Editor, I don't think campaign units show up. It's better to test in-game...I think.
The Campaign Object Editor makes the data the same for all maps in the campaign.

Level 2
The Campaign Object Editor makes the data the same for all maps in the campaign.

If you can't use the data in-editor then obviously it doesn't make the data the same for each map ... unless campaign object editor data actually shows up in the regular object editor, which I doubt.

Level 7
If you can't use the data in-editor then obviously it doesn't make the data the same for each map ... unless campaign object editor data actually shows up in the regular object editor, which I doubt.

It shows up in the regular object editor, and the unit's name is colored blue. An unit edited with the regular object editor is purple. I think the usage of the campaign object editor is just to copy'n'paste the stats of every unit into another map without having to waste like 2 mins of opening one thing, then pasteing into another. That's a thumb up for the Campaign editor :D

Level 2
Town Hall's gone, Peasants are gone, melee units show up both on the map and in the Object Editor - but the custom units still just disappear. What now?

Level 33
Are those models are... IMPORTED ?
Well, I think that you're not doing the 'importing-procedure' correctly
MAKE sure that AFTER you've imported, BIND the imported files with the UNITS in that map !
I'm sure if you bind it correctly, the model WILL appear

Level 5
I don't know about the units not showing up, but if you wanna remove the town hall and paesants I think you have to disable the default Initiation trigger

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Give trained Heroes a Scroll of Town Portal (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Remove creeps and critters from used start locations (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
      • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
Just disable the whole thing, I'm not sure whichone is at the moment.

Level 33
I don't know about the units not showing up, but if you wanna remove the town hall and paesants I think you have to disable the default Initiation trigger

• Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Give trained Heroes a Scroll of Town Portal (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Remove creeps and critters from used start locations (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
      • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
      • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
Just disable the whole thing, I'm not sure whichone is at the moment.

LoL, if we are to create a custom map, THAT IS THE FIRST THING TO DELETE !
By deleting that trigger, our map is known as 'non-melee maps'

Level 2
Are those models are... IMPORTED ?
Well, I think that you're not doing the 'importing-procedure' correctly
MAKE sure that AFTER you've imported, BIND the imported files with the UNITS in that map !
I'm sure if you bind it correctly, the model WILL appear
How do you mean bind the unit correctly?

Level 19
I've had the same problem before, try reading the steps to extracting models, then restart the editor once you're done.

Level 33
Binding a unit
Once you've imported the custom models, go to Object Editor and open Units tab and choose ANY unit, if possible, copy and paste that unit for Custom Unit categorization
Next, go to Art - Model File and change it to Custom: "your file model name"
This action called as BINDING A UNIT

Status
Not open for further replies.