• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

UnitRemoveAbility returning false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi, I'm having trouble removing an ability from a unit. Can someone describe circumstances in which an alive unit cannot have an ability removed? Thanks.

Level 13
psuedo-code;
if abilityStacks == 0 then
if not(UnitRemoveAbility(u,id)) then
call echo("Can't remove ability?")
endif
endif

@Pwnica, the unit is alive and the ability won't be removed.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
What ability are you trying to remove?

Also, why even bother having this:
vJASS:
if not(UnitRemoveAbility(u,id)) then
call echo("Can't remove ability?")
endif

When you can just remove it the normal way:
vJASS:
call UnitRemoveAbility(u,id)
Trying to remove an ability that doesn't exist won't cause any issues as far as I know.

You can also check the Level of the ability. If it's 0 then the unit doesn't have the ability.
vJASS:
if (GetUnitAbilityLevel(u,id) != 0 then
call UnitRemoveAbility(u,id)
else
call echo
endif
And are you positive that it's even running in the first place? Is abilityStacks reaching 0?

Level 13
Im calling it as a condition to see what the function returns, and the echo displaying ingame demonstrating that the code DOES indeed run. The ability is a copy of tornado slow debuff iirc, the base ID= 'Aasl'. There is another instance in my map of a buff that *should* get removed but doesn't. I will have to double check on that one. I'll add code to see when the ability is added to see if thats the issue.

edit: Unless there is some other bit of code referencing this ability ID and adding the ability on a loop (which I 99% positive isn't the case), this ability is really just sticky to the unit. It's only added once in the bit I wrote to add the abil.

Last edited:
Level 13
all I know if you get 'false' means there are no ability on the unit

Interesting. I know you wrote a blog post about bugged IDs, Could you link that?

Anyways, I found the problem was a duplicate buff I had that I was incorrectly referencing when trying to debug the problem. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.