• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Understanding RGB (Red Green Blue) colors

Welcome to "Understanding RGB Colors"!

This is a short guide/tutorial to create your own color codes!

Let's begin!

RGB colors are in this format

#RRGGBB

The "#" Is used to show that it's an RGB color. A Hexademical color if you prefer, in HTML.

Now, let's begin the coloring!

Notice how i placed it #RRGGBB? It's Red Green and Blue color codes!
Color codes use the numbers for 0-9. #000900 is Valid!

Now, the hard part.
If you want to have only Green at 10/255 you need to place it as 0A.
Until you reach 0F(it's 15 if you're wondering) It starts all over.
Now, notice this one.
#001000 is 16 to Green and 0 to the rest.

#001500 is 21 to Green and 0 to the rest.
#001900 is 25 to Green and 0 to the rest.
Now, here is the hard part!
#001A00 is 26 to Green and 0 to the rest

• 01 equals to 1
  • 02 equals to 2
  • .... 09 equals to 9
  • 0A though, equals to 10
  • 0A to 0F is like going through 10 to 15.
  • 10 is equal to 0F +1 (So that's 15+1) which is equal to 16

Well, it works like this.
You see the first letter/number
E.g. A3
You figure out that A is the 10th number (9 is the 9th so A is the 10th). So you multiply it by 16
And 3 is the 3rd number, so you add +3 to the number you got from the first number.
Now, you got 163! Placing it in the Colormap provided below, you will see that if you place 163 on Red, you will have #A30000 (if you put the Green and blue to 0)!

It's simple to understand. There are 16 colors per decade. There IS of course 154, which is the point that Letter Decades start!
155 is A0 and so on.

In case you need to change a Hexademical (RGB color) to a color code, you need to take your values and divide them by 16, then add whatever is left.
E.g. Dividing 163 by 16, you get 10, and have 3 left. "Number 10" is A, and 3 is, of course, 3. So you get A3. If you had 16, then simply dividing it by 16, you would get 1. So that means it's code would be 10 (10+0)

Hope you understood the sequence of colors on RGB!

Here's a Color map that will help you practice it!
rgbhex.gif
rgb-hex-triplet-color-chart.gif

And after you find it's colors, put them in this Color Picker to see if you got it right!
After placing all RGB colors, you should get the code you decrypted it off!

This is quite helpful at finding what RGB colors you need to place within the Object Editor so that you can have the color you found on a color map!

Thanks for reading! Moan if it's boring!

Last edited:
Level 24
You need to describe the base it is using in more detail, and explain what it (the base) is. Also talk about what a colour code is at the very start of the tutorial, and the picture does not work. (Upload a copy of the picture to your post and use [ATTACH] tags.

I'd also like you to talk about various tools that can be used to simplify the process. The formatting could use some work, try to break it up a bit and use things like [LIST] tags.

Overall, it's a good start. Once those things are fixed (or at least talked about), I'll take a look at it again.

Level 40
Eh. The pound (#) is used in HTML to signify that you are going to provide a hexadecimal colour code rather than an identifier, such as FF0000 instead of red. Notice the several key points there (most importantly that it's specific to HTML and derivatives thereof). Also, this is almost entirely a misnamed and rather poorly written/formatted introduction to counting in hexadecimal.

It is pretty good, but generally you should show the connections with hexadecimals and wc3. I understand it is a miscellaneous tutorial, but it has to be related in some way to wc3. [and it is, via tooltips]

Basically, show how tooltips work, otherwise this tutorial isn't half bad.

However, you should fix the title (I can change the actual title if you want). This is studying hexadecimal values of 0-F, RGB goes from 0-255 which is basically the converted style. It would also be cool to include RGB as well, or at least where it is used.

Please notify me or update it within a week else it will move to the graveyard.

More-so RGB is hex. =D lol. (Since hex is also used in wc3 for JASS [not just for coloring]) But that doesn't matter.

Anyway, scratch what I said since it was too broad. Basically, I want you to show how it is used in wc3 in the beginning (just list them, you don't even have to go in-depth) and I'll approve it. Else people will get confused early on and not know the tutorial's purpose. Maybe include that hexadecimals are denoted by |c and end with |r instead of the pound symbol.

EDIT:

No updates have been made within a week. Please notify me if you are willing to update again/if I have made a mistake.
~Graveyarded.

Last edited: