• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Uncharted Waters 1.30b

Short summary: A unique, skill oriented, fast paced ship combat game with many triggered systems and beatiful randomly generated terrain.

NOTE: From version 1.29 onwards this map is OPEN SOURCE for anyone to edit!

Game Features
  • Many game settings for the host to choose from
    • Enable/Disable weather effects
    • Select the amount of islands
    • Select the amount of lives
    • Select the map size
    • Select the maximum kills
    • Enable/Disable alliances
    • Enable/Disable killing spree comments
    • Select the amount of flotsam powerups
    • Select map boundary type (island wall/abyss)
    • Enable/Disable friendly fire
  • Random generated terrain according to host selections
    • Includes islands, trees, bushes, grass, critters etc
  • Supports 2 - 12 players
    • You can also play alone if you wish to practice
  • Custom movement and combat systems
    • Shoot left, right and forwards and stop your ship for repairs using W A S D
    • Move the ship with your mouse (how far you click from your ship determines the speed of your ship)
    • Use powerups with Q and E
  • Custom user interfaces and background musics
  • 3 different camera modes
    • sky view - from up to down
      • Distance and angle of camera can be changed
    • rotating sky view - same as before but camera rotates with the ship
      • Distance of camera can be changed
    • 3rd person view - close behind the ship
  • Players can change their color during game
  • Players can choose whether their arrow keys control their ship cannons or movement
Screenshots!

124756-albums434-picture3301.jpg

124756-albums434-picture3300.jpg

124756-albums434-picture3302.jpg

124756-albums434-picture3298.jpg

You can also find the screenshots at the Uncharted Waters Album

Map created by Kitabatake

Thanks to Aeroblyctos for compressing the music to smaller filesize

All imported material except sounds created by Kitabatake

Killing spree sounds are from Unreal Tournament
Music is Eternal Sonata - I Believe

Feel free to post comments, suggestions, questions and constructive criticism!

Version 1.21
  • The first version uploaded to hive
Version Changes 1.22
  • Cannonballs now deal correct damage
  • Suicide will now stop your killing spree
Version Changes 1.23
  • Players can now choose whether their arrow keys control the ship movement or cannons
Version Changes 1.24
  • Fixed a severe respawn bug that occurred after about 20 respawns
  • Fixed respawn location detection
    • Cannot spawn next to another ship
    • Cannot spawn too close to an island
    • Cannot spawn on map edges
  • Host can now choose the map boundary type
    • Island Wall
    • Abyss
  • Minor bug fixes
Version Changes 1.25
  • Fixed a cannonball damage bug where the cannonballs would only deal 15% of the real damage
Version Changes 1.26
  • Host can now select whether to turn Friendly fire on or off
  • Flotsam respawns now
  • Teamkills now take away a kill
Version Changes 1.27
  • Minor bug fixes and edits around the map
Version Changes 1.28
  • Changed the background music
Version Changes 1.29
  • Map unprotected
Version Changes 1.30
  • Fixed a severe bug that caused ships not to move
  • Removed the spammy "Upkeep Ring" sound
Version Changes 1.30b
  • Increased projectile speed

Keywords:
Uncharted, Waters, Sea, Ship, Combat, Naval, Battle
Contents

Uncharted Waters 1.30b (Map)

Reviews
00:25, 16th Jul 2008 Septimus: Note : The map rating was given 4 according to the mini moderator vote and comment about it. However, there is a request from the author for the map to be review back to get a better rating. Thus, I would proceed to...

TpM

TpM

Level 3
Nice map. But maybe you can off fog. It sucks when you can see where your enemy are.
Btw good work. 5/5

Level 2
Sorry but in LAN when i host a game, my friend was disconnecting after 10-20 sec...
Seems to be good but this file go to my trash, sorry.

(version 1.30)

Level 2
Would it be possible to make the shots faster? Because when i played this most of the kills where crashkills and only very little kills wheere because of the cannons. I think it is too easy to evade if they are that slow...

Minor Update

Sorry but in LAN when i host a game, my friend was disconnecting after 10-20 sec...
Seems to be good but this file go to my trash, sorry.

(version 1.30)
Yes, there is a small chance that the map will cause a server split especially if you have selected a large amount of islands since the wc3 engine cannot always handle the terrain generation properly.

According to what I've heard, warcraft 3 is likely to cause desync/server split if you use the function GetLocationZ simultaneously with terrain deformations.

The terrain generation system creates a large amount of deformations at the beginning of the game to create the islands and varying depths to the water.

GetLocationZ is used periodically with the ship and projectile movement triggers to detect if the unit is on water or land.

If someone has a solution to this problem I'd be happy to hear it.
(Some other solution than completely removing the terrain generation system).

Would it be possible to make the shots faster? Because when i played this most of the kills where crashkills and only very little kills wheere because of the cannons. I think it is too easy to evade if they are that slow...
True. Thanks for the suggestion!

Version Changes 1.30b

• Increased projectile speed
    • The projectiles are now 40% faster

Level 5
This game has a HUGE bug. When I play it solo, I am able to select the settings and play the game just fine. But when it comes to playing it multi-player, the settings window just stays there, with no actual settings to choose from, at all what so ever. I can't even start the game, its just a plain window that says "Game settings" and a pitch black screen in the back. I re hosted it because I thought maybe it fixes itself when I re host it. But nope, same thing happen. This happens every time on my bot on LAN. Sorry, but as FOR NOW, I rate this map a [2/5] (Will change the rating to [5/5] once that bug is fixed) for being unplayable in multi-player.

Last edited:
This game has a HUGE bug. When I play it solo, I am able to select the settings and play the game just fine. But when it comes to playing it multi-player, the settings window just stays there, with no actual settings to choose from, at all what so ever. I can't even start the game, its just a plain window that says "Game settings" and a pitch black screen in the back. I re hosted it because I thought maybe it fixes itself when I re host it. But nope, same thing happen. This happens every time on my bot on LAN. Sorry, but as FOR NOW, I rate this map a [2/5] (Will change the rating to [5/5] once that bug is fixed) for being unplayable in multi-player.
Hmmh that's weird... I'll look into it soon.
Have you tried to host the game without the bot?
Were you Player 1 (Red) in that game?

Edit: After doing some thorough testing I've concluded that the problem is actually in your bot, not in the map.

Last edited:
Reactions: TKF
Level 8
for your little getlocationx and terrain deforming...
couldint you have the game wait (X) amount of time between getting location and then doing terrain deformation, and not do it simultaneously? just have a loading screen for about 10 seconds loading all the stuff up
i am not sure if it will work.. but theres my suggestion >_>

Level 1
Hello, Kitabatake. Your map is just cool! However it could be even more better, if you will keep working on it ;)
For example, cannonballs don't kill critters on islands. One time I died in the beginning because ship appeared on land, and another time a was surrounded by islands.

Moreover, you should work a bit with shadows. For example, shadows of critters appears ON the water, when they "dive" (disable shadows on water). Maybe it is better to make "flying" shadow for frigate?

It would be great, if you could make some kind of a RPG mode with level-ups and ability to buy better ships (with more canons). You could also somehow use undead's frigate.

I hope you don't mind that I tranlated it to russian)

Last edited:
Hello, Kitabatake. Your map is just cool! However it could be even more better, if you will keep working on it ;)
For example, cannonballs don't kill critters on islands. One time I died in the beginning because ship appeared on land, and another time a was surrounded by islands.
I believe these problems were already fixed with version 1.24 and higher.

• Fixed a severe respawn bug that occurred after about 20 respawns
  • Fixed respawn location detection
    • Cannot spawn next to another ship
    • Cannot spawn too close to an island
    • Cannot spawn on map edges
  • Host can now choose the map boundary type
    • Island Wall
    • Abyss
Which version were you playing? Did the spawn problems happen often?

Moreover, you should work a bit with shadows. For example, shadows of critters appears ON the water, when they "dive" (disable shadows on water). Maybe it is better to make "flying" shadow for frigate?

It would be great, if you could make some kind of a RPG mode with level-ups and ability to buy better ships (with more canons). You could also somehow use undead's frigate.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll consider them if I get time for it.

I hope you don't mind that I tranlated it to russian)
That's fine.