• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Unanimated lightning effect -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
I am not sure you know how a lightning effect works.

1. They are flat textures.
2. They get stretched from source to target point. If you do not want that/minimize the effect, you have to split it up into multiple parts.
3. Their texture is additive. Dark colors make them transparent.

So I end up with something like

QJViI-jTiRYNOds8rYStW1MHM8OVJtnQ-cGGclkbUVE

Level 15
I'm making a spell and I'm tired of maths , because I need to create a chain element near each other . I mean many dummies , That will move with the caster . But I would be glade if there is a way to make like a lightning effect , from a point to point , and moves automatically .

Level 26
You are tired of basic maths? May as well quit mapmaking.

Independent from if you use a lightning bolt or a model, it will be only one chain element/a fixed number. Lightning bolts are not attached to units and therefore will not automatically move with them.

You just have to divide the distance between source and target by the length of an element, create as many elements and move them with polar offset from caster to target in offsets of running index * dist per element. Repeat this periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.