• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Unable to load 95% of the maps suddenly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello,

approx 2-3 months ago I was able to load 2-3 custom maps in the WorldEditor to fix some minor bugs. I then had a little break from the game and returned now to play some Burbenog TD.

Now I wanted to try to update and fix one of my favourite Burbenog TD maps especially the bug that you can't sell some towers on some builders and wanted to add a new game mode.

But suddenly I'm unable to open approx 95% of all the maps. During loading I always get the same Error message after a few seconds that some data is missing or invalid.

Errormessage.png

Did I miss some sort of update or patch to the Editor that broke the current maps or something like that?
I'm only able to load Blizzard maps and 1-2 of my other custom maps. I tried to find out what's different on them and only can say that one file ends with .w3m instead of .w3x

The other one is .w3x, but triggers in this map are protected by something I never saw before. Maybe to keep the rights to change anything by the creator (what I totally understand).

So maybe the problem are some protection features?

Because I can't open the maps I edited 2-3 months ago, too.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Regards

M1502

Level 23
Is it possible you saved them after they were somehow corrupted?

.w3m is Reign of Chaos, .w3x is Frozen Throne. Not sure how you got a RoC map, unless somehow .w3m now refers to Reforged map files.

Level 10

.w3m is Reign of Chaos, .w3x is Frozen Throne. Not sure how you got a RoC map, unless somehow .w3m now refers to Reforged map files.
Yep, they're for Reforged maps as well.

I'd think it's a version mismatch, Reforged maps don't work even just for v1.31, nor does v1.31 work for v1.30, and the same down to v1.29 I believe.

Level 1

Hard to say, I got them by joining a Lobby when someone opened a game. I think most of these maps are pretty old and brought to the community again with Reforge release, dunno for sure.

Yep, they're for Reforged maps as well.

I'd think it's a version mismatch, Reforged maps don't work even just for v1.31, nor does v1.31 work for v1.30, and the same down to v1.29 I believe.

So you think Editor got patched and now you're unable to load all the old maps? But this should have been noticed by other mappers, too, or not? Any way to convert maps then?

Did you make the map yourself? If not then chances are the author has "protected" the map which prevents World Editor from opening it. Not all authors do this, but most do.

Yes I thought about that, too. But the strange thing is that there are so many maps of the same versions available. I was playing Burbenog for 3 months, joint different Lobbies and now I have approx. 32 x Burbenog TD maps including Burbenog Legends, Burbenog Delta Spirit and Burbenog Oblivion.
And I say "Maps" not versions, they're named all the same, because I think some people loaded them into the editor, changed some minor things, and forgot to rename it/change the version number before open a Lobby again.

I might be wrong, but if those maps are protected this shouldn't be the case?

And no, I'm not the owner of Burbenog. And I don't want to steal anything for sure. I would have edited the loading screen credits, too, to mention that I'm not the owner of the map and listing only the changes I did. Don't want to get in trouble ^^

Anyone of you know "Burbenog TD Legends"? I want to edit/change the version 2.34e by:

- fixing the bug that some builders can't sell some of their towers (I'm pretty sure it's a bug)
- Either change the available or create a new "Shared Income" Mode, since it's not really shared. Player with most kills still gets most of the gold and think no need to share, because it's "Shared Income" Mode. So I want to make it really "Shared".
(I'm just tired of players leaving when they can't catch up and Top Killer players won't share gold. And I hope by make "Shared income" really sharing gold evenly, this might help low kill players don't leave so fast.)
- Adding some sort of "Solo" Mode. I'm shiftworker and therefor sadly often online when most people allready asleep. So getting a full lobby takes sometimes up to 15-20 minutes. (Would be no problem if people are not so damn impatient sometimes and allready leave lobby after 30 seconds ^^)

So if anyone of you maybe can provide me an unprotected version or actual working version (if it's a version dismatch with the editor) this would be great!

Regards

Level 12
Usually when this error appears, the map is protected. Especially older and popular maps were all protected.

Level 1
Usually when this error appears, the map is protected. Especially older and popular maps were all protected.

Any idea how to get this map then? I would make a new version myself, but I'm not that good with triggers, So I will need at least to look at it to learn how this map works

Level 1
Sorry for the late respond guys, I'm new to this forum and all my posts need approval from a moderator first. Please don't think I'm not interested in this Thread. I really appreciate your help!

Level 10
So you think Editor got patched and now you're unable to load all the old maps? But this should have been noticed by other mappers, too, or not? Any way to convert maps then?
Ah, I just noticed you're likely on Reforged so it might indeed be map protection-- in terms of version mismatching, it's usually more like old versions can't open new maps, most the time the other way around will work.

Level 1
Ah, I just noticed you're likely on Reforged ... [...]

Hm, that means if I somehow get hands on the vanilla Editor I might be able to open the map even though protection? Like allready said: I don't want to steal anything, but it would be essential for me to see how the triggers in Burbenog TD Legends work so I, at least, might try to make my own Burbenog map.
(This would be a lot of work, though, but I respect the fact that mappers protect their map and hard work)

Have to go to work now, will be back in approx 12 hours (long shift ^^) cya! :)

Editing maps without permission from the original author (even if it is just fixing a bug) is not allowed or encouraged here, especially if these maps were protected by the original author (showing clear intent that they do not want you to edit their map).

Id say contact the original author and get an unprotected version.

Last edited:
Level 1
Editing maps without permission from the original author (even if it is just fixing a bug) is not allowed or encouraged here, especially if these maps were protected by the original author (showing clear intent that they do not want you to edit their map).

Id say contact the original author and get an unprotected version.

Allright, I will try to find out who the Author is then, thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.