• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unable to create temporary directory (Importing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
This keeps happening when I try and import something on Warcraft 3. This never use to happen it just started today. I have seen help with the saving problem but my one is to do with importing any help?

Update: I fixed the problem, Dr Super Good thanks. Just Ran as administrator and changed some things in my firewall

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Same problem as saving. The editor process lacks write permission over one or more folders which are used when saving. Give your user account full control over the Warcraft III directory. Running WorldEditor as administrator can work but should only be a temporary work around.

Some anti virus software can also cause it as they lock freshly created files to check for virus. Usually lowering the file checking security level can fix it if this is the case.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Here is a picture on what it says
My solution above. Basically same problem as saving. Your user account lacks permission over the Warcraft III install folder so when the editor is run by the user account it cannot create the temporary files it needs to in that folder. When you import files it places them in a temporary folder so they can be incorporated into a save later.

The solution is to give your user account full control permission over the Warcraft III installation folder. This folder, being in the Program Files folder, usually requires administrator access to modify starting with Windows Vista. The reality is that Warcraft III is at fault here as it should make all temporary files in the appropriate temporary file folder (returned by a Windows API call that existed in some form since Windows 98) however since it does not there is no other solution except to change the folder permissions of the install folder.

Running the editor as administrator will also work, however this is not recommended as excessive elevation of permissions is extremely bad practice.

To change the folder permission go to the Warcraft III folder, right click it and select properties. Then go to Security tab. Select your user account and toggle on "Full Control". Do this recursively for the Warcraft III folder and not other Program File folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.