• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unable to create directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What says "unable to create directory"? If it is World Editor then there must be some problem with creating the temporary files for the model during the save process. These temporary files are used as sources when building the map MPQ archive.

Possible causes could include third party applications blocking the file, such as antivirus or cloud backup software, the drive having insufficient disc space to house the temporary file, the temporary file containing illegal characters not supported by the file system or even that the resulting file system path length is longer than the maximum supported file system path length (260 characters for normal Windows applications).

Level 2
What says "unable to create directory"? If it is World Editor then there must be some problem with creating the temporary files for the model during the save process. These temporary files are used as sources when building the map MPQ archive.

Possible causes could include third party applications blocking the file, such as antivirus or cloud backup software, the drive having insufficient disc space to house the temporary file, the temporary file containing illegal characters not supported by the file system or even that the resulting file system path length is longer than the maximum supported file system path length (260 characters for normal Windows applications).
ok i tried it and i found to fix the unable to create directory problem i have to run it on administrator, but it still says could not load file which i think might be because of my version? im using version 1.26

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
ok i tried it and i found to fix the unable to create directory problem i have to run it on administrator, but it still says could not load file which i think might be because of my version? im using version 1.26
Sounds like a permission problem. The folders being used do not have write/read permission for the user account that is running World Editor.

You will want to try and fix the permissions in a reasonable way rather than running as an administrator. For example by giving your user account permission over the folders involved. This might be as simple as making the folder than contains Warcraft III (usually write locked for user accounts for security reasons) to allow user writing. Daily driving applications as an administrator is not a good idea from a security point of view and no game should require it.

This was likely fixed in newer versions of Warcraft III where the scratch pad workspace and user data was moved to a more appropriate documents folder rather than being inside program files.

Level 2
1660217481378.png
Could this be the problem then? im not sure what the minus means but i presume i just have to completely un-tick it

1660217617593.png
unfortunately its not using the path i gave it. But the unable to create directory is fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.