• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Un-Motivated. Need help. (free hugs and cookies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
So well uh. I am trying to get better in art. I would love to be able to work as an artist. When I was younger I constantly drew stuff, all day long. But now these days when I actually try to get better at it, I just get un-motivated as hell. When I draw I get pissed at that I am not much better than I were five-ten years ago. (Even though I know I am, and that it is just the last year (s?) I've actually been drawing to get better at it). So right now, and many other days, I just sit and think that I want to draw, but nothing happens, because I know I won't be pleased with the result. Haven't been drawing for very long now because of this.

Do I just have way too high expectations on myself or is there some way to get around this sort of problem, someone got any tips for me? Maybe I shouldn't be looking at great art so much, and just focus on myself? I do look at a lot of art by great artists. (Yeah Mr.Goblin, I am talking about your art for example, and I consider it awesome.)

I know there exists a couple of great artists around here, that surely (?) had some sort of problem that is like mine. Thanks. Any comment is welcome. Even a comment about a good kind of music to listen to get you inspired while drawing could be helpful. Currently mostly listening to Hans Zimmer or like-wise while drawing.

Last edited:
Well, about getting better at specific topics, I would advise you to check out some tutorials, for example on deviantart (it's allowed to name it here, is it? :p).
I do that occassionally, for example when I'm unable to grasp the proper proportions or shapes of something, anatomy, or simply to get inspired.

Speedpaintings/Sequenced WIPs also offer lots of insight, as you can see how an image evolves and how the artist constructs it (CrazyRussian's LoL contest entry is one example).

I would also advise you to let go of expecting something when you draw. Just go ahead and let it flow. That way you won't get as easily demotivated. Whatever you don't enjoy drawing won't be worth the effort (but that's just my opinion).

Additionally, compared to several artists you mentioned, you may lack professional background knowledge etc.
Where we lack that knowledge, we have to improvise, look up several reference images and try to apply what we see.

Also, you may upload stuff and wait what other people's feedback will bring (peeKay, Goblin, shiik, CrazyRussian etc. offer great insight).

Oh, and music that inspires... Hm, that's very subjective. I would say that the more music variety you have available, the more sources for inspiration you have.

And, as with everything else, practice will lead to improvement. :)

Level 25
Actually, It just got loosened up a bit (for now), I think I will try to learn the core-elements of drawing rather than just try to draw complex things I can't actually draw anyways. Although it was just shapes mostly, I actually fancied what I drew today.

Thanks for your input, I know you have been growing a lot in skill over the last year (s) I've seen you around here. I will think about your different points.

And you said something there about getting better at something specific, It is a tip to think of, but I am more looking to grow as an artist on all planes of drawing.(Tell me if I miss-understood your comment) So certain tutorials aren't that helpful. (Or I have just been finding the wrong kinds of tutorials)
And when I gain more experience overall, I can then choose my style of painting. Character/object/environment/etc.-and stylewise.

(Would still love to hear other artists opinions or tips on this, so don't take this comment as I don't need anymore help D: )

Level 4
Rather than getting demotivated by thing you can't do well, try getting motivated by things you did well. Simply be optimistic and believe in yourself about becoming an artist. If you can't believe in youself believe in me who believes in you :p Also even when I get demotivated I try to force myself to draw, you too can if you want to.

Level 12
I think, sometimes we all go through this (in our work and others), no matter what we are (artists or not). We lose our inspiration, muse, motivation can even mood for a short time.
I also believe it is something temporary and even normal.
Maybe you need a break, do something else for a while. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.