• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

um... VGsatomi... that was a little harsh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
VGsatomi, recently someone posted a topic about how they protected their map and wished to unprotect it. He begged you not to lock the topic and publicly admitted that he was being foolish. My question to you is wtf were u doing when u locked the topic?! Dude the poor guy was just trying to get his map back that he worked his butt off on and u went ahead and locked it so no one could tell him what to do! Please explain to me why u are so against map protection that you would actually refuse to allow others to help someone that just wanted to get his map back after protecting it. Have u noticed that all the major maps are protected? DotA, ToB, Footmen Frenzy... the list goes on and on but i dont want to list any more. The reason for this is people dont want to work hard on a map just so some fag comes along durring beta and steals it from him, puts his name on it, and then BOOM the map becomes a smash, makes it to blizz's hall of fame and the actual creator gets no credit. Now yes i do know that their is the side of view that blizz tells people to look at already made maps for advice, but i think its more important to get credit than to help newbs build their maps. Quite frankly i think its the best way to learn is by fire (learning by doing and teaching yourself). When it comes to the map protection disscusion i feal that blizz should have made it so u can view someone else's map, but not alter anything in it (like with password protection or something). I know you may think thats all beside the point but its not. The point of this entire topic is why are u so one sided on ur view of map protection that you would punish someone for being on the opposite end of the disscusion (your obviously against map protection while he is for). Go ahead and lock this topic, ban my acount i dont care. i just wanted to say this and honeslty have you tell me why you would do that? Dont get pissy at me or anything but if you do at least have the decency to respond to me and tell me WHY YOU DID THAT :?: :!:

I know this entire thing seems offensive but i dont mean it that way.

Level 5
Oh lemme answer this
1. wrong forum
2. he posted about map protection "against rules"
3. There is a lesson in that "never protect maps"
Noobs can steal maps but facts are facts there hasn't been much times were they just totally steal a map and then give 0 credit for it.
The 1,2,3 a,b,c rules.
.....I should be a mod Lol.

Level 7
Ok in response to number 1: I posted in this forum on purpose because this was the forum the guy posted his problem in.

In response to number 2: The person never asked how to unprotect someone elses map, how to protect his own and he never made an arguement on protecting maps so he was offending no one and as such people should have been allowed to answer him.

In response to number 3: I know of a map that was very popular in starcraft (cant recall the name of it now) that got stolen durring beta. The map then became popular and the poor author was screwed. and besides why not protect a map? its his map let him do what he wants. For Set VGsatomi to come in and refuse to allow others to help him when he screwed up was just wrong. lots of people have admitted to screwing up and needed help on this site but did their topics get locked, nope. When someone screws up with map protection its "OMFG BURN HIM AT THE STAKE YOU LOUSY FAGGOT!!!! MAP PROTECTOR MAP PROTECTOR!!!! UNCLEAN UNCLEAN!!!! I CONDEMN YOU!!!!" get the point? why is it people are saying oh if you corrupt ur map by accidentally uploading the wrong file onto its thats ok you can remove that file by doing... but when someone screws their map up by protecting it they get in trouble. Thats like saying people have the right to carry throwing knives in public but not throwing stars.

Level 3
DurotarLord said:
In response to number 2: The person never asked how to unprotect someone elses map, how to protect his own and he never made an arguement on protecting maps so he was offending no one and as such people should have been allowed to answer him.
How do we know it was actually his map and he wasn't lying? We can't know if he was lying or not, though from the sheer number of people who claim the same thing we can assume the person is lying. Even if he wasn't lying he should've known to keep a back-up, the I lost it in a crash, blah, blah, blah, just doesn't work. He should've known the risks involved with protecting a map, since he didn't he learned a valuble lesson.

Level 22
Did I punish him? No. Could have I? Absolutely. Now who's being unfair?

Do you have any idea how many people asked for map unprotection posing to be people who simly locked themselves out of their own map? How am I supposed to tell him apeart from a potential thief? I'm not worried about Super Human being a thief, but I am going to follow up on forum regulation and not allow the topic to be brought up.

There is no discussion of map protection or unprotection whatsoever, even if its unprotecting their own map. I may have locked his topic, but I didnt delete it, so anyone who wants to help him will still get a chance to know about it.

What mapper doesnt keep a back up of his works in progress? If he messed up, its on him. I'm not going to allow him to violate rules to undo his own mistake. If the situation were reversed, I'd understand that.

For every map that is stolen there are a thousand that are not, any dedicated thief can unprotect a map, so saying it staves off thieves is silly. Most of the time map protection screws begginners out of learning how to do certain aspects of triggering, and, as seen with super human, screw up the maps themselves. They are not worth it.
-VGsatomi

Level 8
In response to VGsatomi, I see where your coming from, but i do have to argue on what you said, I quote:
"For every map that is stolen there are a thousand that are not"

True, as this may be, there still is that 1 in a thousand that could be stolen, and im sure no mapper wants that to be them.
I myself had a map stolen in its Beta version. Luckilly this thief made very unsuccessful changes, making my complete version far more successful.

On another note, there have been times when I wanted to open a map in the editor simply to check how to set up a certain script (eg creep spawning) and found it was protected. the magority of the time, the maker leaves his/her email so you can find such information.

Personally, im for Protection, but got nothing against those who arn't.

Level 6
well, i think that best protection is that one that Darky29 used in his maps, because if there is someone that want to view how map is made, triggers or units he can do this easly but he can't change anything in map, so only know solution to me is made topic or something and give link or w/e to this protection.

and...i also had a map that i made upload it then i just got format of all my discs, and unprotected version went BeBe, i didn't cryed about it, because if i made this map, even in thousand of hour, i will be able to made it even faster and better

Level 8
you see, there is no point in asking help for unprotecting a map, considering the current powerful protectors like vexorian's optimizer, it becomes impossible to unprotect a map to an editable stage like it was before, the protectors change the names of all variables, triggers and other stuff to some random names like 7ypx, remove comments and other information neccary for editing, besides that u also have to edit the map in JASS form, not the GUI tree-view ur used to. so here's a rule for everybody that wants to protect their map, if u protect a map, save a backup copy somewhere where u most likley not edit it, if u are in that situation without a backup copy, then tough luck, ur not going to edit ur map again.

Status
Not open for further replies.