• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Um. Hi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Woah. I don't get out on the web much :D, but I cruised over to SC2 suggestions forum, then found myself tinkering around with a WC 3 map concept I had. Then I gradually worked my way over here.

:eekani:

Holy stuff this forum is HUGE! And I found solutions to all those things that used to bug me in the maps I used to make in my spare time (but never finished, as was typical).

So yeah, I just wanted to say hi, I'm going to be scoping around, and hopefully someone might be able to solve all my map problems for me :D. I'm having a little brain strain at the moment with my new one.
An epic multiplayer RPG that's as open and free (and trigger complicated) as I can get it. I don't have any of the additional tools and stuff, never knew where to find them, and I'm on 56k in the most remote part of the world.

But I psyched! :ugly:

If anyone can point me towards someone or some place that might be able to explain how I can have the following system.

There are several cities (for the moment we'll assume they're fixed, no player built ones). Each one has it's own 'civilisation' it's own set of citizens (variable unit group and the like) infrastructure and most importantly here, it's city guard.
Trade and contraband are common, and traders will often try to smuggle contraband into the city.
The guards are a diverse lot, some of them are Lazy, some are Indifferent, some are Alert. This affects how quickly they will spot a Suspicious individual, or simply how quickly they browse through the crowd in their LoS for a Suspicious person.
They will then 'search' the man, comparing the items in his inventory to a array variable (of some kind, don't ask me, I'm still trying to figure it out) that tells him which items are acceptable in the city (according to city law) and which are contraband.
How the heck can I accomplish this? I keep running into big walls, and my brain's trying to squeeze out my left eyesocket.

I tried to create a item classification 'contraband', but that means that it would be contraband everywhere, and not all the cities might have a ban on it. The only thing I can think of, is to apply the new custom value (of a huge prewritten list of items) of that item's contraband level to the item as it passes through the borders in someone's pocket.
But that will create issues in other areas, such as towns whose influence pass inside the region, or when applying for your own bit of separate land that is not governed by city law. I guess I could cover that in the conditions. Um.

Basically, I want every guard in the city to have a periodic event to make them turn their watchful eye on random pedestrians passing by (and the trigger doesn't allow for a 'general unit acquires a target') and apply the search trigger to them after a brief amount of time which is based on a Alert or awareness integer of the guard.

Don't know if I've managed to explain the problem very well, but any help would be great. Btw, I don't know anything about any program other than the World Edit itself, though I think I get the principle of some I've heard about. I'm not too interested in creating fancy new models or spell effects, I just want to get the fundamentals of the RPG down, prettiness later.

And I have a billion things I'll probably have to ask about.

So, can anyone hulp me puh-lease?

(This website forum stuff is disorienting, I'm going to forget which forums and places I frequent :eekani:)

(Lol, I almost skipped the BOT question when I registered. That would have been an oopsy.)

Level 22
Hello, Alakon! Welcome to The Hive Workshop.

As this is your first visit, feel free to have a look around the site's many forums for some topic or conversation that you find interesting. Don't be afraid to jump right into the community. :thumbs_up:

If you have questions, make sure you use the search feature. We get a myriad of questions posed to our boards every day on all kinds of Warcraft III issues, so your very question may have been answered in the past. Make sure to check out the site rules before you start posting - it will give you a good general idea of how the community is run.

A good place to start would probably be the World Editor Help forum if you are looking for map assistance. If not, then there are plenty of people that you might enjoying helping, or perhaps you'd rather find some forum to discuss your favorite topic. If you're working on a Warcraft map or are looking for a good one to play, the Map Section could be a great resource. Don't forget about all of the other resources as well. Links to their sections can be found at the top of any site page.

Welcome to The Hive! :grin:

Level 7
Hey there, Alakon! Welcome to da Hive! :thumbs_up:. If you want opinions/suggestions/comments/etc. about your map, please post a thread on Map Development discussing your map. I would suggest putting Screenshots as it makes the map look more interesting. :grin:

However, if your looking for some help like Triggers for example, post a thread in the GUI/Jass part of the Forums or something. :con:

Level 7
Okay, thanks. Will do.

Um...is Ghan a real person. Or is he a stalker welcome bot?

Lol, jokes. The links are helpful.

Level 7
Lol, I sorry. Can you EVER forgive me! I can't post cookies over the net :(.

At least not the yum kind, I saw someones signature who stole my cookies so his sig could tell me what program I was using! I tried to fool it by switching explorers but it was a wily program.

And yes, I tried to convince the SC2 forum to accede to my suggestion by sieging them with vast walls of text. They were powerless!

I've got what I personally think is a great RPG in the works, though I'm sure everybody says that, but I having a little trouble getting the specifics to work. I can throw in temporary triggers that do the job, but they won't work in the free form medium that they will eventually come, and it's hard to explain the problem because everything is so huge and interconnected.

There is a project page isn't there? Where jokers can come and look at it and give me tips? I'm now mostly competent with GUI, but only to a point. I needs hulp! I only be amateur, I can't write C++ or any of that kind of scripting stuff, I can only work with what I see, and its not co-operating!

Btw, thanks for all the welcomes! Makes the forum a little less intimidating in its size. Scary. o_O

Level 22
Well, if you're looking for map assistance, the World Editor Help forum and the assorted forums under it would be a great place to start!

And if I can ever help you with anything site-related, don't be afraid to drop me a Private Message. :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.