• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Ulfsire's Roguelike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello!

A project that's taken me a long time to work on, for its size. I'd like to put it up for feedback before I feel its complete enough to submit in Maps.

I've also been hosting it a lot on bnet.

Works in both reforged and classic. Features random generation of enemies and levels, a piety system, class names that change based on skills / elements, and a "visual skill building" mechanic

Discord link: Join the Custom War Games & Chill Discord Server!

- enemy class, Necromancer
- Spell, Leech (like death coil but scales on Blood)
- Spell, Rock Shower (several projectiles that fall randomly, Earth)
- Strike, Judgement (Light, aoe Fire damage and blinds enemies)
- Imbue, Stoneskin (earth, blocks a high amount of physical and ability damage)
- Imbue, Blood-Drinker (Blood, a heal-on-attack, will probably get removed)
- Dervish removed
- Battle-Magic reworked, now always heals on cast and adds a spellspark to attacks
- Ragara and Dorok now reward piety for Blood and Earth, respectively
- in the list of paths, it should also now indicate if a path gives an element, or requires one

- 3 new artifacts: Gore Panabas, Nemus Charm, Thunder Shield
- Magic Knife and Fire Axe improved
- new event, Spirits
- 2 new bosses, Orcos and Monsus
- enemy Class, Locumancer
- new ability: Rune of Rage (blood)
- Rune of Power is now Arcane
- Element-requiring options added to the +Stat upgrades
example: +1 STR -> Fire Hands: +75 base Attack
- Bug fixed where King of Many Colors' illusions summoned their own illusions which then summoned etc

- added -repick command for level 1, if you haven't used any items etc
- reduced death coil damage
- increased range of some Evocations
- removed Vitality requirement for Evoke Life / Vine Armor
- Bogies now often teleport around when attacking
- some new enemy types, "Leaders" in certain swarm waves that inspire their minions
- a new Event, Spiders
- a new Jailor, Wyvern
- Ghouls now also summon Zombies
- added "Blood" and "Earth" elements to a couple abilities and imposed limitations

To do:
- more abilities in Blood and Earth
- a few more Artifacts
- a few more Event types
- a few more Monster Classes
- a few more bosses

---> then post in Maps :)
SkillsExample.png

^ An example of "skill building"

WC3ScrnShot_062720_161802_001.png

^ many gods can be worshiped

WC3ScrnShot_062720_161548_001.png

^ negative Status effects last the entire level, unless purged

WC3ScrnShot_062720_161303_001.png

^ the class name here has changed to reflect an abundance of Fire skills

WC3ScrnShot_062820_083234_001.png

^ works in both reforged and Classic graphics

Attachments

• UlfRoguelike_v0.4.8.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Level 11
I want to give this game a little review because it's so much fun.

Having played this games multiple times, both solo and with friends, I can say it is a great time. It works well as a solo game, but really shines when playing with friends.

A unique skill selection systems that allows for huge amounts of character customization. Each game you get to try a new style of play, a new strategy, or a new synergy within your selection of skills. The "visual" skill building (which is placing buildings strategically in a grid; each building grants your character an ability and adjacent structure empower each other) easily can compel players to experiment with strategy. Many abilities will synergize with others, either by triggering some extra effect or unlocking some new abilities. This great skill selection pairs with a class + race system, determining your character's attribute gain, and a pantheon of gods whom your character can choose to worship, each granting some unique benefit but imposing some arbitrary restrictions on your character's actions. Together, this leads to some seriously crazy character choice.

The random levels are well done and provide a good setting for the roguelike. Each level the challenge to kill the guardian and escape the level can be approached in multiple ways. The big bosses every 5 levels are difficult to beat. My party has been wiped many times when we took on a boss without being prepared enough. The monsters that inhabit each level are also interesting, ranging from a slog through hundreds of zombies to dangerous jailors that you often you may have to run from, rather than fight. As the game progresses, the monsters gain special traits and abilities, making the difficulty rapidly escalate.

The level of difficulty in the game is set at a challenging "Hard", which feel just right for the style of play. Out of more than 60 attempts, I've only 'won' twice (it does go on forever, should you wish to keep going). It certainly lives up to the roguelike genre. Luckily, the game also will restart in game, 5 seconds after the team is eliminated, allowing everyone to try another strategy.

Overall, this game is a joy to play and has provided my friends and I with hours of entertainment. I look forward to more progress in its development!

Status
Not open for further replies.