1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

UI Skinning Contest

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by Airandius, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Skinning Contest

A contest to create a full new UI. No specific theme is to be followed.

Why?

That's simple.
    1) There are barely any UI's on the hive workshop, only 2 as of now. And only one is useful (naga).
    This is mostly because people don't make them for the public but rather make them for their own need. While many people could put these to good use.
    2) Is something else then all the other contests.

General Rules

1) It has to be a fully working new UI.
    2) You may not reskin/recolor an existing UI.
    3) It's public so your submission should also be uploaded for the public to use.

That will be all.
    I think that would be a nice contest as it adds extra content to the hive for mappers to use. Besides, it's something else and should not take to long to do.

If this contest gets approval or whatever I would not mind to judge or whatever. :p

EDIT: For pyritie.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. Gyrosphinx

Gyrosphinx

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think it would be a nice ideas, as there are not to many UIs at the hive. It might turn out as a rather interesting contest. Too bad I can't skin, better start practising :/

3. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nah, just the UI is good enough.

Um.

UIs actually take a long time to make, mostly because you're not just doing a 256x256 texture for a unit, but three (and a bit) 512x512 textures to be viewed at full resolution.

It should follow the same guidelines as skinning contests.

4. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm not that common with contests, I haven't been here for a while. Owel, I'll just change the OP. Edit it to fit the conditions that contests have. :p

5. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd actually like a UI contest myself :p I think I tried to start one back when wolve was still around.

Never happened though...

6. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's a lot of work but could produce some very awesome stuff.

7. Gyrosphinx

Gyrosphinx

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    And now its your chance!

8. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not that easy Gyro. Don't forget that you need a shitload more then a good idea and motivation to create a UI. I'd love to see more UI's too, but we all know exactly what's going to happen: Many people who want to participate, but no or barely any submissions. It's simply too time-consuming to create a contest for.

Either you make it just for the fun of it (instead of for a contest with a deadline) or you don't make anything at all.

9. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Don't be such a party pooper.
    It takes long because you have a lot to make but still.
    The deadline could be pushed pretty far if enough people will actually participate.

Cause hardly anybody makes them for fun, which is why there are barely any UI's to download. Most people make them for their own project and never make it public.

10. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Then if you're so motivated, you should make 1 yourself. No need to make a contest out of it, since it's doomed to fail no matter how far you extend the deadline. It's the same with the cinematic contest. Many people claim to participate, but only 1 or 2 submissions are entered.

Call me a party pooper, but I'm just being realistic.

11. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't say it's doomed to fail. Just that we have to be careful to choose a good time to host it.

12. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1) Create the contest when there has not been a skinning contest for some time + there wont be anything else for a long time.
    2) New prises, the first, second and third place stay the same. yet everybody that participated and made something half decent will get a reward.
    4) Place some adds on the main page. (News.)
    5) I skipped 3 and you did not notice until now.
    6) ???

Profit.

13. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ofcourse... You want to have your personal advertisement all over the forum, because you know you're contest will not be popular even before it begins. I think this pretty much verifies that we're not going to have a UI contest.

If you don't want to make a UI if there's no contest for it, there's absolutely no point in hosting a contest just for your satisfaction. Otherwise, you can just make a UI and upload it to this forum because you thinks this forum really needs it.

14. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A UI making contest. Great idea! If the idea becomes a contest write down my name cause i'll be in it!

15. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Avator if you have nothing useful to contribute to this thread please leave and stop flame baiting.
    As of now you are the only one not interested while being annoying about it.

If enough other people are interested this contest will start, if not enough people are interested it will never start. This is how it always goes, there is no need to point that out. And there is no need for you to say this contest sucks, that's a personal opinion.

16. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And how long are you planning to wait for people to mark themselves contestants? You must've noticed that this thread barely got any contestant responses compared to any other contest. So far the only 2 people who have a chance to have an entry in this contest is Pyritie and you. No offense Crazed, but you don't really have a decent reputation here and 99% of those people claiming they enter in a contest this size won't have a final entry in the end. Like I said: It's nothing personal, just pure experience.

In 2 weeks you'll still won't have enough participants unless you're going to call up people to only claim to participate, but won't have to make anything.

17. Pyritie

Pyritie

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    He did only just post this thread 3 days ago.

Please calm down.

18. Avator

Avator

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A week passed and we have 1 whole contestant!
    You really showed me, Airandius...

19. Airandius

Airandius

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am happy your E-Peen just grew 0.1 inches.

I wonder why you are so angry for me suggesting this though, there is no need to act the way you do. If you are uninterested you should ignore it, not attack it. Care to explain what sensitive snare I stepped on?

20. XIOV

XIOV

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does THW still have any good texture artists? All the good texture artists I knew (Wulf, Chriz etc.) are all gone. The whole site seems rather dead to be honest. I use to come on here quite often (under a different name) and there was always LOTS of action. A request thread took about 30 seconds to 1 min before you got a reply. Now it sits for days....

/endrant
    /backontopic
    It seems like a good contest, but it should have some sort of a theme. A generic UI contest is a little too inspecific. Try to come up with something creative and interesting. Maybe create a poll of various ideas and see what people would like to see UI's of.
    If you can get it set up and approved, I'd join.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.