• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

UI Skinning Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Skinning Contest

A contest to create a full new UI. No specific theme is to be followed.

Why?

That's simple.
1) There are barely any UI's on the hive workshop, only 2 as of now. And only one is useful (naga).
This is mostly because people don't make them for the public but rather make them for their own need. While many people could put these to good use.
2) Is something else then all the other contests.

General Rules

1) It has to be a fully working new UI.
2) You may not reskin/recolor an existing UI.
3) It's public so your submission should also be uploaded for the public to use.

That will be all.
I think that would be a nice contest as it adds extra content to the hive for mappers to use. Besides, it's something else and should not take to long to do.

If this contest gets approval or whatever I would not mind to judge or whatever. :p

EDIT: For pyritie.

Last edited:
This could include making new icons that fit this new UI aswell.
Nah, just the UI is good enough.

No specific theme is to be followed.
1) It has to be a fully working new UI that fits a race (Taren, Troll, High Elf) or theme(Winter, Fall, Holy etc).
Um.

3) Does not have to take very long.
UIs actually take a long time to make, mostly because you're not just doing a 256x256 texture for a unit, but three (and a bit) 512x512 textures to be viewed at full resolution.

3) You may not reskin an existing UI, you may use them as a guideline but the actual UI should be made from scratch.
It should follow the same guidelines as skinning contests.

Level 18
It's not that easy Gyro. Don't forget that you need a shitload more then a good idea and motivation to create a UI. I'd love to see more UI's too, but we all know exactly what's going to happen: Many people who want to participate, but no or barely any submissions. It's simply too time-consuming to create a contest for.

Either you make it just for the fun of it (instead of for a contest with a deadline) or you don't make anything at all.

Level 17
It's not that easy Gyro. Don't forget that you need a shitload more then a good idea and motivation to create a UI. I'd love to see more UI's too, but we all know exactly what's going to happen: Many people who want to participate, but no or barely any submissions. It's simply too time-consuming to create a contest for.

Either you make it just for the fun of it (instead of for a contest with a deadline) or you don't make anything at all.

Don't be such a party pooper.
It takes long because you have a lot to make but still.
The deadline could be pushed pretty far if enough people will actually participate.

Cause hardly anybody makes them for fun, which is why there are barely any UI's to download. Most people make them for their own project and never make it public.

Level 18
Then if you're so motivated, you should make 1 yourself. No need to make a contest out of it, since it's doomed to fail no matter how far you extend the deadline. It's the same with the cinematic contest. Many people claim to participate, but only 1 or 2 submissions are entered.

Call me a party pooper, but I'm just being realistic.

Level 17
1) Create the contest when there has not been a skinning contest for some time + there wont be anything else for a long time.
2) New prises, the first, second and third place stay the same. yet everybody that participated and made something half decent will get a reward.
4) Place some adds on the main page. (News.)
5) I skipped 3 and you did not notice until now.
6) ???

Profit.

Level 18
Ofcourse... You want to have your personal advertisement all over the forum, because you know you're contest will not be popular even before it begins. I think this pretty much verifies that we're not going to have a UI contest.

If you don't want to make a UI if there's no contest for it, there's absolutely no point in hosting a contest just for your satisfaction. Otherwise, you can just make a UI and upload it to this forum because you thinks this forum really needs it.

Level 17
Avator if you have nothing useful to contribute to this thread please leave and stop flame baiting.
As of now you are the only one not interested while being annoying about it.

If enough other people are interested this contest will start, if not enough people are interested it will never start. This is how it always goes, there is no need to point that out. And there is no need for you to say this contest sucks, that's a personal opinion.

Level 18
And how long are you planning to wait for people to mark themselves contestants? You must've noticed that this thread barely got any contestant responses compared to any other contest. So far the only 2 people who have a chance to have an entry in this contest is Pyritie and you. No offense Crazed, but you don't really have a decent reputation here and 99% of those people claiming they enter in a contest this size won't have a final entry in the end. Like I said: It's nothing personal, just pure experience.

In 2 weeks you'll still won't have enough participants unless you're going to call up people to only claim to participate, but won't have to make anything.

And how long are you planning to wait for people to mark themselves contestants? You must've noticed that this thread barely got any contestant responses compared to any other contest. So far the only 2 people who have a chance to have an entry in this contest is Pyritie and you. No offense Crazed, but you don't really have a decent reputation here and 99% of those people claiming they enter in a contest this size won't have a final entry in the end. Like I said: It's nothing personal, just pure experience.

He did only just post this thread 3 days ago.

Please calm down.

Level 17
A week passed and we have 1 whole contestant!
You really showed me, Airandius...

I am happy your E-Peen just grew 0.1 inches.

I wonder why you are so angry for me suggesting this though, there is no need to act the way you do. If you are uninterested you should ignore it, not attack it. Care to explain what sensitive snare I stepped on?

Level 3
Does THW still have any good texture artists? All the good texture artists I knew (Wulf, Chriz etc.) are all gone. The whole site seems rather dead to be honest. I use to come on here quite often (under a different name) and there was always LOTS of action. A request thread took about 30 seconds to 1 min before you got a reply. Now it sits for days....

/endrant
/backontopic
It seems like a good contest, but it should have some sort of a theme. A generic UI contest is a little too inspecific. Try to come up with something creative and interesting. Maybe create a poll of various ideas and see what people would like to see UI's of.
If you can get it set up and approved, I'd join.

Level 18
@Crazed: Then make your UI without the contest. This isn't going to be realized, and yes that is dead certain, just not official.
Also, I think 1 week isn't 'heaps long'. If you wanted to create a UI before the contest, why didn't you? If you really have to get a reward for the stuff you make, you should reconsider what you really want to do.

@Airandius: I'm not angry with you, I'm just saying I told you. You're the one firing back heavily at opinions based on facts.

@XIOV: It never changed a lot for as long as I've been here, but like Dentothor said: There are still plenty of 2D artists around. Ones you might know and ones that you might not know, but still provide quality. Just check out the 2D sections of the forum and it should give you a good enough impression of how many quality 2D artists are still around.

Does THW still have any good texture artists? All the good texture artists I knew (Wulf, Chriz etc.) are all gone. The whole site seems rather dead to be honest. I use to come on here quite often (under a different name) and there was always LOTS of action. A request thread took about 30 seconds to 1 min before you got a reply. Now it sits for days....
Well WC3 itself is pretty damn old so that's not all that surprising really.

As for skinners, look at the texturing contests. Quite a lot of activity there!

@Crazed: Then make your UI without the contest. This isn't going to be realized, and yes that is dead certain, just not official.

You're the only one being negative about this, saying "blah blah this will never happen give up now". Please stop.

Level 18
No, this is not going to be hosted. There are 2 participants, which is way too few to even get it off the ground. It's been here for a week with barely any progress.

And Pyritie: The fact that you don't want to see that this is pointless is probably the reason why you're not a mod.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I stand with Avator here. We've already seen the Cinematic Contest #4 fail and I believe one is enough.

I wouldn't say it's doomed to fail. Just that we have to be careful to choose a good time to host it.
By «good time» you mean matching it with holidays? Education systems and calendars are different in all countries – there's no point in scheduling for this or the other time.

1) Create the contest when there has not been a skinning contest for some time + there wont be anything else for a long time.
2) New prises, the first, second and third place stay the same. yet everybody that participated and made something half decent will get a reward.
4) Place some adds on the main page. (News.)
5) I skipped 3 and you did not notice until now.
6) ???

Profit.
I once tried to schedule the Terraining Challenge for a less active period in The Arena and it doesn't work. There's always something else going on.
Making your argument ridiculous is not a profit for your point of view.

(...)
It seems like a good contest, but it should have some sort of a theme. (...)
Applying a theme might narrow down the already short list of participants.

I have no jurisdiction here, and no, I am not going to interfere with the contest's course, in case any of you who misunderstood my actions in the Cinematic Contest #4 is wondering.
I just think that a competition for two people does not fit into the definition of «contest» at all and/or what it should be. It also strengthens my point when I say that people only create quality resources when there's a prize to strife for, which, in my opinion, is sad to see.
Furthermore, the lot of the people posting here are interested in the results, not the contest itself. I am pretty sure they would still be interested in the UI even if it's not an entry for a competition.

No, this is not going to be hosted. There are 2 participants, which is way too few to even get it off the ground. It's been here for a week with barely any progress.
That's because the skinners are already doing their own contest and to be honest not everyone looks in this subforum that much!

And Pyritie: The fact that you don't want to see that this is pointless is probably the reason why you're not a mod.
LOL

I stand with Avator here. We've already seen the Cinematic Contest #4 fail and I believe one is enough.
I do believe the skinner community on this site is bigger than the cinematic one.

By «good time» you mean matching it with holidays? Education systems and calendars are different in all countries – there's no point in scheduling for this or the other time.

I once tried to schedule the Terraining Challenge for a less active period in The Arena and it doesn't work. There's always something else going on.
Making your argument ridiculous is not a profit for your point of view.
That is true, but keep in mind the majority of people on the hive live in countries that go by a western schedule - time off in summer, around christmas, etc.

Applying a theme might narrow down the already short list of participants.
Agreed.

Then explain to me why normal contests do get enough participants in their submission threads and this 1 doesn't...

Because the normal flow works like this:

Contest > Contest poll > Contest results
|
+--> Everyone rushes to the contest submission forum and looks for the ideas thread for their contest, ignoring the rest > Restless waiting for next contest​

Level 19
I think a good step might be to approve the contest, see what happens and try to get some attention from the skinning community here. It is quite large actually, and if some of the more talented texture artists finds this interesting we might have a contest up going. If it fails, then we can close it instead of dooming it before it has been tried.

If you read the previous posts: It HAS been tried before and failed. That's what I'm trying to tell you all the time already.
When. When has a UI contest EVER been tried before.

It's not going to be approved, and Pyritie just confirmed that this contest fails.
In case you haven't noticed, I've been running the arena lately, so I get to choose which contests are and aren't approved :p

Level 18
Not a UI contest, I was talking about the big picture.
Also, I haven't noticed that, no. Unfortunately you're still no mod so you have just as little to say about this as me. If you say you approve it, I say you can keep dreaming, because it's not going to happen.

Also, I haven't noticed that, no. Unfortunately you're still no mod so you have just as little to say about this as me. If you say you approve it, I say you can keep dreaming, because it's not going to happen.

Dunno where the hell you've been but yes, I'm still a mod :p

Actually I'm even a global mod now!

Level 18
Exactly. And 2 people claiming they will finish it along with a lot of people saying "good luck and goodbye" won't do that.

Also: You still don't have permission to approve this as a global mod, Pyritie, and that brings you back to nothing on this matter.

I'M IN UR POSTS, EDITING WHAT U SAID

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.