• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trueshot aura stacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
A found an issue on my map with stacking of Trueshot auras. It's based on the neutral hostile trueshot aura except having flat damage ticked on. I interpreted this as constant damage instead of a percentage, but i'm not really sure.

Anyway, I observe that when two such auras intertwine, the damage bonus increases to almost 300 (insane). Can anybody explain why this happens?

Level 25
It seems to really be a bug... tho the explanation is easy.
The game prefers flat damage (you correctly guessed what that one does) over percentage damage - so if two units, one with percentage and the other with flat damage stand one nearby the other, the flat damage is applied to both. It may be that both use same field for the bonus in Object Editor and the game prefers higher bonus over "weaker" one...and flat damage usually uses higher number (comparing 3 flat damage and 30% in numbers is actually comparing number 3 and number 0.3... since 3 > 0.3, game chooses flat damage).
The bug is that the flat damage is still taken as percentage damage for one of those units.

Let's take an example:
Priestess of Moon: Basic damage is 34-44. She has Trueshot Aura that increases damage by 0.1 (percent damage), thus 10%.

Next unit is custom unit... let's say Archer with base damage 10-17. This archer has custom Trueshot aura that increases damage by 4 (flat damage).

When they come one to another, the Archer's Trueshot aura "beats" Priestess's one, because Archer's aura gives flat damage.
So archer's damage is 10-17 +4.
Now priestess's damage is 34-44 +156.
The reason for the +156 is that her aura, that increases damage by percentage, takes the value given by archer's flat damage aura as the percentage!
Basically, the default value for Priestess is 0.1 (10%), but with the archer close by, it changes to 4 -> 4 is archer's aura flat damage bonus, but for priestess it means 400%.
Since her damage is 34-44, the average damage is (34+44)/2 = 39 damage and 39 * 4 is 156.

Additional note:
Any other unit, which does not have the Trueshot aura with percents, gets flat damage bonus only.

Status
Not open for further replies.