• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Triggered sight range - how and has it already be done ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

For a new idea I develop at the moment I would need to trigger sight range.

My approach would be to create dummy units in circles around a unit and move/place them somehow if the unit moves.

Is this a recommended/ the only approach
or can I place sight blockers somehow in-game ( not being able to place sight blockers in-game is the reason why I need to trigger sight range) ?

Has this system already been created ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Uh, yes, but how does this helps me ?

The problem is, I need to trigger the sight range a way it does not reveal things behind another unit, which it does ( it should be like moving in a building, then you cannot see what is behind an edge)

Level 25
Take a look at the Goblin Ultravision ability.
Not sure if that is the exact name, but it gives bonus sight (can be negative with Shift + Click)
:vw_wtf:
Unless I'm missing something, there is no range attributes in the ultravision (item) ability?

(I hope I'm wrong, could be a neat ability to play around with).

Level 22
Uh, yes, but how does this helps me ?

The problem is, I need to trigger the sight range a way it does not reveal things behind another unit, which it does ( it should be like moving in a building, then you cannot see what is behind an edge)
So wait, what you want is a a conic sight vision that does not allow units to see their behind?
Edit: Wait I understand what you mean.. You want units to block vision..
It is Occlusion something in Object Editor. Let me search.
Edit2: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ng-doodad-block-vision-ranged-attacks-175584/
^Misleading title

:vw_wtf:
Unless I'm missing something, there is no range attributes in the ultravision (item) ability?

(I hope I'm wrong, could be a neat ability to play around with).
It does, you can edit how much bonus vision you can give.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

So wait, what you want is a a conic sight vision that does not allow units to see their behind?

Ah, no, it is quite more complex.

Imagine the following: The default circled sight range.

Now you walk through a hall, but its walls do not have sight range blockers placed in the WE.
Now you can see through the walls.

I would like to trigger it in a way ( that's already solved) so that you cannot view through walls.
Is my approach the best or is there a way to block sight range/ create sight blockers with triggers ?

Level 22
There is an item ability that gives bonus sight range.
This ability is equally glitched as bonus life and bonus mana so with the same calculations and functions, you can create an "UnitAddBonusSightRange()" function.

Eh? Isn't that what I mentioned and Ardenian's reply said that his problem was different than that. I think it is already solved.

Level 24
Ow sorry, I am just not in the mood of reading :D

I guess the original question was for how to effectively reconstruct real life vision.
I could be nitpicking and just force a 1st person camera but hey :D

Anyway, if this is indeed already solved then ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.