• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Minigame] Tregoban Grand Master

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tregoban Grand Master
1Xz9kU3.png

Arena matches are one of the Tregoban System's finest traditions.
Teams from all over the galaxy challenge each other to fight for honor and glory in the many arenas spread out on the system's planets.
Everyone is allowed to challenge as long as the official rules are upheld.
The teams that are participating in these matches are a mixed flock ranging from high tech space marines from Helis 12 to jungle dwelling tribes of Kal'Kar.
A year long tournament runs side by side with challenges. Only the best of the best teams fight in the tournament to battle for the ultimate prize and title; Tregoban Grand Master.

Introduction
========================================================================================================================================
Idea and process behind the map:
After I created a turn based combat system that I was satisfied with, I had difficulty deciding what I wanted to use it for.
Initially I wanted to create a large campaign which would feature the system. But after some brainstorming and a lot of test maps it became apparent that I probably wouldn't be able to complete such a humongous task alone. However I still wanted to use the turn based combat system for something.
A minimap with Final Fantasy like fights was an idea I had in my for a long time, and I thought I would settle on that idea.
After yet another long brainstorming and inspiration gathering I changed my mind again. The Final Fantasy approach, while appealing, I could not figure out how I would make such a minimap interesting in the long run.
So I changed the game into a card/chess-sorta-map instead and I have continually liked the idea while making the map.
Now the first version of the map is complete.
While I still have many ideas I want to implement I wanted to release the map before getting too stuck with such implementations and eventually stop the project. By doing this I feel a lot more compelled to continue updating the map with features, items and teams.

The game:
As mentioned, this map has its roots in classic card games. The chess analogy is pretty much just because there are units involved.
I wanted to use the turn based combat to enhance well thought strategic play instead of the usual hack 'n' slash or ARPG maps (not saying they are bad, just that I wanted to create something different).
The card game aspect of the game lies in the hidden player inventory. It works as if the player has cards on his hands that the opponent can't see. Furthermore, the receival of a new item each turn is to resemble a card being picked from an undrawn stack of cards.
The energy requirements (see below) of using items, placing units on the playing field and using units' abilities holds the strategic value of the map. That, and figuring out when and why certain items are good or bad to play, as well as which units counters which.

Finally, I hope you enjoy this map!

Gameplay
========================================================================================================================================
Setting up the game:
Player 1 start the game with altering the game settings. This includes: Number of wins needed to determine the victor,
Hereafter both players are granted control over a Team Console where teams can be picked.
Once both players has picked a team the match will begin.

Game settings:
CtA Game Settings WIP.png

Playing the game:
A coin flip determines who will begin the match.
From here the players takes turn to summon units onto the playing field, using items and order their units to act.

Avatars are the commander of a team.
These Avatars can summon in additional units and becomes invulnerable as long as there are units to protect them. Avatars are also the only units who can use items, and are the ones who finishes a players turn.
When one player ends his turn, the other player gains control of his Avatar and an item is rolled and placed in this player's inventory.
Items comes with a wide variety of uses, from increasing units' attributes, to buffing and debuffing, to alternating the gameplay.
Each player has an inventory which the opponent cannot see. These inventories can hold up to a maximum of 9 items. If a player's inventory is full when it is his turn, all items in the inventory will be re-rolled. This means that all 9 items will be replaced with a new item from the item list.

Every unit, unit abilities, and most items comes with an energy cost, furthermore units also has an energy consumption of 1 every turn to have in play. This will be deducted from a player's overall energy in the beginning of his turn.
A player can gain more energy by using Energy Crystals. Each Energy Crystal owned by a player increases overall energy by 1. A maximum of 10 Energy Crystals per player can be in play.

Here is a visual overlook of the basic stuff:
CtA Gameplay Information Final.png

Teams

Renshaw Castle

Dark Swamp Tribe

Thunderstrike Marines

Soon to come

=======================================================================================================================================

Army composition:

Unit
HP Dmg Def % Ability
Swordman
icons_12474_btn.jpg
361010Overpower
Ramer
icons_16548_btn.jpg
451425Ram
Templar
BTNHeroMountainKing.png
521520Heal
Wizard
sorceress.gif
30155Fireball
Lancer
icons_10945_btn.jpg
603035Pierce

=======================================================================================================================================

Army composition:

Unit
HP Dmg Def % Ability
Cannibal
ghoul.gif
2570Cannibalism
Witch Doctor
BTNWitchDoctor.png
32105Curse
Evil Spirit
BTNShade.png
401430Haunt
Ambusher
BTNDarkTroll.png
482010Hidden Strike
Tribe Champion
icons_17015_btn.jpg
623535Regeneration

Army composition:

Unit
HP Dmg Def % Ability
Storm Bolter Marine
icons_6790_btn.jpg
301015Burst Fire
Plasma Rifle Marine
icons_13086_btn.jpg
401215Overheat
Missile Launcher Marine
icons_14365_btn.jpg
501820EMP
Needle Sniper Rifle Marine
icons_4770_btn.jpg
452510Snipe
Dreadnought
icons_10455_btn.jpg
653240Shred

Army composition:

Unit
HP Dmg Def % Ability
Soon to come
BTNInfernalStone.png
000----------
Soon to come
BTNInfernalStone.png
000----------
Soon to come
BTNInfernalStone.png
000----------
Soon to come
BTNInfernalStone.png
000----------
Soon to come
BTNInfernalStone.png
000----------

Credits

Models

Icons

Skins

Models:
-Burning_Dragoon5 (Storm Bolter Marine)
-Burning_Dragoon5 (Plasma Rifle Marine)
-Burning_Dragoon5 (Missile Launcher Marine)
-Burning_Dragoon5 (Needle Sniper Rifle Marine)
-t-rav2010 (Ambusher)
--Grendel (Tribe Champion)
-Pyramidhe@d (Dreadnought)
-Callahan (Swordman)
-Callahan (Ramer)
-Callahan (Templar)
-Callahan (Lancer)
-???? (Devil's Dice Unit)
-Kuhneghetz (Various gems)
-Mc ! (Various item models)
Icons:
-takakenji (Ramer)
-GhostThruster (Swordman)
-PeeKay (Lancer)
--Grendel (Tribe Champion)
--Grendel (Thunderstrike Marines Avatar)
-darkdeathknight (Missile Launcher Marine)
-Riley (Needle Sniper Rifle Marine)
-GhostThruster (Plasma Rifle Marine)
-The_Silent (Storm Bolter Marine)
-Pyramidhe@d (Dreadnought)
-Deon (Timeless Hourglass)
-trippledota (Devil's Dice)
-The_Silent (Overheat)
-Sheephunter (Snipe)
Skins:

Attachments

• TGM-0.1 opt.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.