• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

tree fade system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I remember seeing one on wc3c a looong time ago. It works, but it's not very efficient. You'll have to use model editing to use it.

Other than that there's a function in Jass, i think it's also in GUI under the Animation actions. It's called SetUnitVertexColor or something. With this, you can set the transparency of a unit. Unfortunately there's NO way you can make a working tree fade system with destructables or doodads, units are the only way to go.

Anyway, here's the link to the wc3c one.
Tree Fade System

Level 9
Just saw the system and it's working but ...
I don't like it for one reason: The trees are selectable. There's alot of ways for going around this.
You might know Everwood, the ORPG my team and I are currently working on. If you do know it, you probably also know that we're using a custom made transparent system too. The way I worked around this was a simple model edit, because it's the most efficient method as far as I know. The other way is the GroupEnumUnitsByPlayer (or something) function. I heard it also detects units with the Locust ability, but I haven't tested it to be honest. If you don't know what Locust is, it's an ability which makes your units kinda like a Doodad: It can't be selected or anything.

Well, my suggestion is to test for yourself. I might do it soon because that's the smartest way to make a transparent system if you don't know anything about model editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.