• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Treasure Isles

Reactions: deepstrasz
Story
Avast ye, the Bloodhook Triumvirate has its eyes on the sunken treasures. Foil their plans and there might be some reward in there waitin' for you.

Map Specifics

208431-68b922c0059b74b0d640282fca7d1f80.jpg
Players

208430-a0bf11462cec6338b8e882705c9309cd.jpg
Creep Camps
12 28 4

208427-67ced567f320d96ce63cdb2eb304a5d4.jpg
Neutral Buildings

208423-626cd1b769e6dcd3ae555e8d52671d6c.jpg
Gold Mines

Tactics
The gold mines offer less gold than usually, either try for a fast victory or expand quickly. You can always go plunder the nearby isles as the creeps drop gold coins. The coins could make a huge difference in the early game. The middle of the the map has two merc camps with the only creeps on the main island that drop gold coins aswell. Furthermore, some mercs can swim in the water. The main focus on this map is on shipyards, though you can play the map without them. The Boats can spice your strategies up a notch though, as the main bases have backdoors for ships.

Tips on boats
As boats are seldomly used in melee maps I thought it might be helpful to add some tips. Boats have, unlike zeppelins, 10 spaces for units and are faster than many land units. Using ships can greatly improve the movement of slow units like siege tanks. Their weakspot lies in movement impairing abilities and blocking. However, boats are very special in terms of what spells work on them. The only abilities that work on boats are Slow and Ensnare. Destroying a ship in deep water instakills anyone on board. Destroying a boat in shallow water doesn't inflict any negative status to the passengers. While killing creeps with items in deep water does drop the item on the closest shore, destroying a boat (in deep water) with units holding items does not drop the item. Just like the zeppelin, the boat can be used to hide units from serious damage.

Deepest lore
The Bloodhook Triumvirate was formed by the combined effort of three infamous pirate captains in pursuit of bolstering their dominance over the sea trade.

full
The troll renegade fleet of the Amani Empire, led by Admiral Zul'Daraak, excels at long range. The troll pirates are renowned for their unusual tactics of ensnaring whole boats with their nets. Zul'Daraak, known by seafarers as the "The Dragon of the Amani", has also found an interest in human etiquette and fashion. Among his most beloved pieces are the Stormwind admiral uniform and an unfortunate gilnean nobleman's cashmere suit. Despite his snobiness and pride, he can easily lose his temper in a savage display.

full
The second, who joined the triumvirate, are the Seadogs. The ferocious gnoll pirates might not be the most dreaded of the three fleets. However, unlike the others, the Seadogs excel at both ranged and melee combat. Captain Fleabeard knows well that to stand a chance among the other pirates, the Seadogs must rely on other tricks rather than pure strenght. The introduction of poisonous weaponry has proven quite efficient for the gnolls in the long run. It should also be noted that the Seadogs were the first who buried their treasures.

full
On the other hand, brute force is what got the Two Skulls pirates most of their riches. Crushing any enemy ship might not have proven as the most thought through strategy as the seatrade had to find new routes. This led to the decision of captain Mogg'Thar to capitalize on their newfound monopol by smuggling wares. To some, this idea felt otherworldly coming from the mouth of an ogre. The Two Skulls' wealth has doubled since then. Badmouthers claim the other fleets joined captain Mogg'Thar to get their slice of the cake. The opposite might be closer to the truth as the Two Skulls pirates iniciated the negotiating with the two other fleets. Mogg'Thar therefore believes he is the leader of the Bloodhook Triumvirate despite the 3 captains having the same share of power.

[2018-07-01]-Version 1.0 - Uploaded
[2018-07-04]-Version 1.1 - Changed the turtles to crabs, no more water creeps

Authors Notes
I had much fun creating this map and finding what all is possible to do with boats. There are still many tricks that I haven't shown so there's a possibility of more naval maps.
Previews
Contents

Treasure Isles (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
You can't get items dropped in the water by the turtles. Just don't let them drop items or use some triggers for the items to be automatically moved on one of those small patches of land. What's with the crazy drawings by the way? Approved.
mafe
Hey I also looked at the map finally, though only in the editor. About boats, well, we alked about these before, so you know my opinion ;). Some other notes: -During the first year of wc3, there was a map called "Treasure island" which was played in...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
You can't get items dropped in the water by the turtles. Just don't let them drop items or use some triggers for the items to be automatically moved on one of those small patches of land.

What's with the crazy drawings by the way?

Approved.

Level 22
Changed the turtle creep camp to a small island with crabs. The water creep camp idea might have been too wacky even for my liking. Though the items always dropped on the shore when I playtested the map.
About the pictures, idk :cgrin: I just had a bit too much time on my hands so I doodled some pirates.

Level 16
I did give this map a try. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the terrain, even though you might see that as less important. Id still argue it's an area that's not focused on enough for this style of map. The idea with the goldmines is pretty cool, I do like the concept of forcing the player to decide if they're going for early win, or expand their base. Though I still think the layout isn't anything special, it does work well for what it's aiming for.

Rating: 3/5
I've never made a melee map before, but id like to do one soon. It'll be time for other people to judge my work too. I say keep it up, you're only going to get better. I'd say this is a pretty solid map over all.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Hey I also looked at the map finally, though only in the editor. About boats, well, we alked about these before, so you know my opinion ;). Some other notes:
-During the first year of wc3, there was a map called "Treasure island" which was played in some pro tournaments. It sill still available on epicwar: Treasure Island - Warcraft 3 Maps - Epic War.com So the name might not be ideal.
-Unfortunately, my world editor crashes everytime I try to open the object manager for this map.
-Gold coins, I'm not sure why dont see them in other melee maps. When some thing like that is the case, there is often a good reasons; however I dont know any. They fit well into the map/lore of course.
-The sea giants on the islands are not on camp stance, is that intentional?
-I think there are not enough trees near the main bases. Wood income will be slowed down due to increased walking distances, except for nightelves.
-Speaking of which, none of the creepspots look attractive for AoE creeping to me.
-Some of the brown creep camps could drops in tomes.
-THe gold mine creep in the middle will attack trespassing units, but I guess thats hard to avoid given the general layout. Some creeps at the shipyards to the same.
-It is possible to walk around some forests on the outside. There is some minor asymmetry in this respect.

In general, I think you achieved what you intended, and (for a boat map) it is a good map.
edit: Ok that last comment might sound mean. Wasnt intentional. Sorry.

Last edited:
Level 2
This map is very thematically complete & beautiful and provides additonal perks to those who would use naval transports. Wonder how it'll look with Reforged.