• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] Trackables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've noticed a lot of people saying trackables don't work on multiplayer, which I find strange because I made them work just fine... for example...
Vexorian said:
Trackables work in multiplayer as in you can create them.

Trackables don't work in multiplayer as in you will never know who clicked them.

Well I managed to make trackables and test them across LAN to see if I could make trigs to work out which player clicked/glided over the trackable... and did it. I made a map where you could hover over a trackable, and it would send a game message to everyone saying which player had glided over the trackable... has this already been discovered? :?

PS. I looked hard but didn't see another thread on trackables, if there was, please don't stone me, its my first post lol... Also, if somone can tell me how to upload the demo map, I will upload that map with the trackables successfully working...

Level 3
yea its the same way, but people who have tested it say it doesn't work on multiplayer... there was a post somwhere where somone tried it, and they said it wouldnt work when they tried it with more than one player playing. I havent been able to find a working multiplayer example of trackables, so I made one myself to test it... And I found it works... Every test or post I found (except the one you just mentioned) seemed to say it didn't work on multiplayer...

Level 3
...and a lot people used to say that calling InitGameCache over and over wouldn't leak - a lot of people were wrong.
Both mistakes were caused by people jumping to conclusions a long time ago.
Also remember that trackables were discussed before the gamecache and return bug were put to use, so we couldn't really determine the triggering player in any reasonable way back then.

Anyway what really matters now is that we can use trackables in multiplayer :D

Level 3
haha, indeed, but it really asks the question: do they have any real use? When I first found out about them, I was intending to try to make an FPS map, but if you think about it, because the is no command (at least that I know of) to reset the mouse position, the camera would just keep turning... Its nice that we can find the position of each player's mouse, but its not very useful... The use I can think of is triggering from clicks on open ground, like in the bomb example in that tutorial.

PS. Is there a way to reset the mouse position to the center of the screen, or anything like that?

Level 3
Well, I decided to try trackables in practise... to see if its really possible to make a map with extensive player based trackable use... after learning both trackables and jass in half a day, I spent another whole day making the map, then when it finally worked for single player, I tried it on battle.net with some testers... Long story short, everyone disconnected from host as soon as somone clicked a trackable, but after extensive testing and examination of it, I found that by removing my white flash for local player when somone clicked, it worked fine! Trackables work completely on multiplayer, although it may be possible that some actions cause all players to disconnect, but at this moment it appears that's only fade filters... if that. So I successfully created a map purely based on trackables and it runs fine on battle.net... it can be downloaded at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/micronica/Jesus4Lyf/Jesus4Lyf's%20Sniper-X%201.2%20protected.w3x
However, it IS protected... all maps I make for battle.net use are protected, but it may be nice to see whats possible. The map includes HEADSHOTS! :D

PS. Still interested to know if anyone has an action to reset/change the mouse position on screen.

Level 3
Well, I started a map once (that I never finished) where all units had the Locust ability, and you would move your hero around by clicking invisible trackables on the ground.
This allowed me to use all 12 command button slots by making a control unit in the corner of the map that was constantly selected - aka no pesky Move, Stop, Attack, Patrol, Hold Ground buttons.
I never finished the map, because it seemed to lag when there were trackables all over the map, even if they were invisible.

Level 7
Jesus4Lyf said:
Well, I decided to try trackables in practise... to see if its really possible to make a map with extensive player based trackable use... after learning both trackables and jass in half a day, I spent another whole day making the map, then when it finally worked for single player, I tried it on battle.net with some testers... Long story short, everyone disconnected from host as soon as somone clicked a trackable, but after extensive testing and examination of it, I found that by removing my white flash for local player when somone clicked, it worked fine! Trackables work completely on multiplayer, although it may be possible that some actions cause all players to disconnect, but at this moment it appears that's only fade filters... if that. So I successfully created a map purely based on trackables and it runs fine on battle.net... it can be downloaded at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/micronica/Jesus4Lyf/Jesus4Lyf's%20Sniper-X%201.2%20protected.w3x
However, it IS protected... all maps I make for battle.net use are protected, but it may be nice to see whats possible. The map includes HEADSHOTS! :D

PS. Still interested to know if anyone has an action to reset/change the mouse position on screen.

It is because the fade filter functions from blizzard.j creates timers, so when you use those function for the local player it will cause desyncs because of the timers, the fade filters themself shouldn't be a problem, just avoid creating timers for a single player.

I might want to look at your map, doesn't really matter that it's protected, extracting the script from a protected map is easy anyways.

Level 3
awesome... id kinda like some feedback on that map too, but I know this isn't the place to ask for it... the triggering is wierd... because I avoided using straight jass. Its got horrible memory leaks too. but for its intended purpose, that didnt matter at the time... but people on battle.net really seemed to enjoy it, so I might look into de-leaking it, or getting it de-leaked if theres any volunteers :p.

**UPADTE** De-leaked version now available, 1.3.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/micronica/Jesus4Lyf/Jesus4Lyf's Sniper-X 1.3 protected.w3x

Status
Not open for further replies.