• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Tower of Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Because this lighting technique is, still, totally awesome. ^^

(holy shit though, if I must say so myself, these tree models are fucking amazing for lighting)

Attachments

• TowerofDawn.png
    TowerofDawn.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 710
Eh, not so great imo. The tower isn't super great, the lighting made me question the realism tbh. I mean, sunsets are really nice, or sunrises, but, one side of the sky super bright and the other dark? IDK. The path isn't very good either, the shrubs etc. on either side of it just look like they jump outta the ground and attack you (not really), just not a very good use of that grass model. The overgo from ground to the grass model has, and will always be, super sudden without some stopper in front. The trees and rocks are quite nice I suppose, although here I get that old high res -> normal feeling. Plus the lighting at the front doesn't make sense. I mean. The tower is glowing like a Christmas tree. That's why the rock surface on the entire other side is glowing up too :|

Level 10
Nah that shit is awesome, is that a imported sky box or somthing.. that sky looks great.
Nice one.

Level 11
The rock is from the high res terrain pack. Sweet terrain, awesome sky but I would suggest to use some grass/shrubs on the road and lower them until they are barely peeking. It's better than just nothing on the road. Wish the tower wasn't made from arch's :/ But then again it still looks pretty awesome.

EDIT: Noouuu, Belgarath beat me to it xD

Level 36
The light is screwed! the rocks shoulden't glow, it should have a shadow, it's like you made 2 sunsets. I have to agree with Belgarath, this one was not very good.

The rocks glow because of the sunrise and reflection. If you've ever watched the sunrise from the mountains, you would know what I'm talking about. The sun actually reflects off the granite and lights things up from the side.

Level 6
there are just a few odd things i noticed

#1 the bottom left hand cornner that one rock looks like it has a torch next to it or somthin creating light... i know you said somthin about how in the mountains light reflects of the rock but it just seems to bright.

#2 you cant really do too much about it unless you use a new building but the building's windows are orange?

#3 the path should be more full... put more stuff on it make it look like it hasn't been traveled on in a while

all in all on a scale of 1-5 i would definitely give this a 4.5-4.7

ITS A GREAT TERRAIN!! I'll rep for that

Level 36
#2 you cant really do too much about it unless you use a new building but the building's windows are orange?

As intended. I made the building and put glows there. It's because people have torches inside the building to light it up.

#3 the path should be more full... put more stuff on it make it look like it hasn't been traveled on in a while

But it gets traveled a lot o_O

Level 6
if its traveled on a lot wouldn't the path then most likely be made out of stone? or be worn down to dirt? if a path gets traveled on a lot there wouldn't be much grass there. am i wrong?

i also think that making the tower be all old and abandoned with vines and stuff on it or somthin, and making the path more full of doodads would make it look better... even though it is kinda one of those common things in terrains "an old abandon building on a hill" i give you props on doing somthin not totally in the norm though.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Well, as far as I know, the Tower is inhabited...

And you're right, an frequently traveled path would be covered with stone. At least, more Rough Dirt/Dirt instead of grass can solve it. But it's strange, having an rich and epic tower with an poor and village like dirt path...

Level 36
if its traveled on a lot wouldn't the path then most likely be made out of stone? or be worn down to dirt? if a path gets traveled on a lot there wouldn't be much grass there. am i wrong?

i also think that making the tower be all old and abandoned with vines and stuff on it or somthin, and making the path more full of doodads would make it look better... even though it is kinda one of those common things in terrains "an old abandon building on a hill" i give you props on doing somthin not totally in the norm though.

Well there is no grass on the path :p

Just the sides of it. It's like a foot-path, not really for horses or carriages or any of that.

Level 6
you see thats what i dont get you dont have any grass on it but you used the grass terrain for it... y dont you just make it dirt its more realistic... although i must say it would probably look worse, but than again it might not, cause it would add some more color to the bottom of the picture all the bottom of the picture has is green and the rocky color.

i would also like to suggest maybe making a snowy or winter version of this i would like to see how that would look, cause it is the mountains

Level 36
you see thats what i dont get you dont have any grass on it but you used the grass terrain for it... y dont you just make it dirt its more realistic... although i must say it would probably look worse, but than again it might not, cause it would add some more color to the bottom of the picture all the bottom of the picture has is green and the rocky color.

i would also like to suggest maybe making a snowy or winter version of this i would like to see how that would look, cause it is the mountains

I used rough dirt o.o

Level 18
the sun/ sky effect is spectacular.

How are you makin all these effects ? you keep using different kinds, so i suppose your using some sort of tecknique not known yet to the public, other than you raid and gilles....wtff share some of that information =p

but in all seriousness, the sky is win. The tower could be something different, but other than that, it luks pretty legendary. GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.