• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Top Ten Terrains: Poll

Vote it up, suckers!

Votes: 15 42.9%

Votes: 11 31.4%

Votes: 18 51.4%

Votes: 7 20.0%

Votes: 8 22.9%

Votes: 17 48.6%

Votes: 21 60.0%

Votes: 14 40.0%

Votes: 9 25.7%

Votes: 12 34.3%

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 8 22.9%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 11 31.4%

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, here you go, chaps.

Vote for them terrains you want to pride the walls of this little terraining
dominion for as long as it takes for you to produce a new load of good
looking terrains and for me to actually do something about it.

I'll make this poll multi-choice, but I urge you lot to only vote for a grand
maximum of ten terrains, considering that's the amount of terrains of which
is going onto the list, there's no rules for voting, you can vote for anyone,
even yourself, if you think your terrain is better than others.

Disclaimer: The order of which these terrains go in the poll will not
necessarily be the correct order with the final listing. We're using
this poll only to decide which ten terrains go on the list, the order
will be discussed and decided in the Terrain Jury.

1. Howl - By Sigelang
2. All Gone - By Idontknow (elredir?)
3. All My Friends - My Fladdermasken
4. The Flow - By Keiji
5. A Heartly Homecoming - By Keiji
6. Hollow Hearted - By Keiji
7. Lone Warrior - By elredir
8. Unyielding Love - By Chaos. and slightly Keiji
9. Minions - By Fladdermasken
10. The Lost Omen - By Keiji
11. Sunny Day - By edge
12. Night Castle - By Stryderzero
13. Rough Route/s - By Stryderzero
14. Lake - By Stryderzero
15. PurpleCastleThingy - By Heinvers

Last edited:
Level 36
I voted for 1, 2, 3, and 8.

Howl is very nice and minimalistic, I really love silhouette terrains so that may be a bit of a personal preference on my part. I think the shot is framed very nicely and the positioning of the wolf is really quite groovy. I like the way the whole picture sort of bends to the right as if the wind is blowing, it really adds a majestic and ominous characteristic to the shot in general. I would give this one 4th place.

All Gone is all around creative and it really gets me thinking. I love the creative use of the Lich King model, the juxtaposition (whether intentional or not) of Arthas' position in the lore as a young prince with potential who fell into depravity and rose to power as the king of the scourge, and the life of a homeless man who may have once had potential but perhaps took up a heroin habit and is so far gone from himself he cannot go back. This is by far my favorite scenario, although I'm hesitant to put it ahead of the others because the level design is a bit out of practice. This would be number 2 in my opinion.

All My Friends Cubes strikes me as a psychedelic/surrealistic terrain - something you don't see too often - and it reminds me of my collaboration with 2-P from back in 2009 or so (?) - The lighting is very well done, the placement of doodads is orchestrated in a fluid motion, really gets a good sort of whirring and wobbling playful kind of shape going with the cubes... and man that little pokemon-like purple guy just looks so curious. The models work so well together and the smooth lighting and warmth effect looks natural and nostalgic. The structure in the background is interesting enough to evoke stories in my imagination looking at the scene. I want to run into the frame and join in, and that's a hallmark of a truly great capture. Really a sweet terrain and I think this one deserves number 1.

Unyielding Love is a fantastic, truly beautiful concept. I love the Japanese styling, the cameo style layout, it's really just all around a fine piece of art. Although I think that the "go-to" usage of several lighting techniques and the reflection is unnecessary and stands in the way of the piece. That is my personal opinion - though - and I think it could also work very nicely with the reflection technique and lens flares, but you ought to consider researching the way lens flares would actually appear in a shot like that (!) and perhaps allow the reflection to extend all the way to both bottom corners of the frame. This would get number 3 by me.

Level 34
I've already shared opinions on a bunch of these, so I'll just point out a few that I feel like adding to.

2. I picture this as a sci-fi terrain, which is hard to pull off in wc3. This is one of the greatest. While extremely simple in comparison to many of the others, the use of doodads is near perfect and the atmosphere and story* is awesome. Love this one actually (which I didn't when I originally saw it). It doesn't use a vast landscape or realy strong lighting, which usually makes a terrain stand out, but upon inspection, it's just solid all around.

6. I find this one hard to critique because I don't even recognize half of the models. It seems like each one, if indeed the terrain is made of many (many(many)) models, is placed with such care and each one is perfect. The story (again) is awesome. Really good indoor terrain.

7. Lone warrior. Love this one. At first glance I didn't give it a lot of thought (like 2.) but once I started looking at it, I grew to love it. Solid landscape capped off with amazing story atmosphere. I don't know if the bottom left fire is supposed to be an explosion, but it looks amazing as one.

10. I've commented before, but damn Keiji, that might be the best work you've done. I really like it. A lot. As I said before, sci-fi isn't native to wc3, and this is one of the best. Easily.

12. I just like it. I almost didn't go with it due to A) Game view settings B) not well framed. Good terrain though.

15. The atmosphere and colors seem off. I have actually given this thought since it was released and I still don't know what it is. The terrain is really good though and it's so close to being amazing.

*I use "story" to refer to me being able to draw some sort of story from the terrain. It's something newer to my critiques and I am really digging terrains that seem to have a story going on rather than just a beautiful landscape.

Level 1
3, definitely it was executed perfectly, its kind of weird, a style of which I LOVE. Its surreal and beautiful I just can't really put it into words.

~AngelicNephilim

What the hell D: I dont really like that terrain. Its is one of my effortless terrains.

Oh by the way , i voted 3 , 6 , 7 , 10 , im sure they will be the top 4 on the list.
Keiji's lighting techniques and Elredir's Creativity are so non-existent.

Ehm , I dont like that name.

Well, even you don't give many efforts for that terrain, the scenery is good and well executed .

Status
Not open for further replies.