1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

"Too many custom models"/"map size too big"

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Verdun, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Just a general question, really. At which point would you say that a map file is "too big", and has "too many" custom models imported? As in, it would discourage you from downloading it.

I'm asking especially concerning custom camapigns, not really multiplayer things. On a current project I'm working on, I have over 80 of my custom models imported so far and I realize that at this rate I'm gonna need to add a lot more - no end in sight, really

2. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The point is rather a gray one. Normally, you avoid getting over 50 MB for a map unless the quality can be justified (like Ultimate Battle or Iceborn). For a campaign, usually 100 MB is pretty high of a number, though some exclusions existed (Tomoraider and Forsaken campaigns, as well as Turnro's).

As I said at the start, there's no actual point. The general rule of thumb is :
    ONLY IMPORT MATERIALS AS NEEDED

3. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    For single player I don’t think people really care about map size, though with a big map size you expect quality so if it turns out to be a clustered orgy of low quality/inappropriate/ugly models then players will be unimpressed.

4. _Guhun_

_Guhun_

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The only issue with a big map size is that the MMH bots limit download speeds to 100 kb/s in the game lobby. This only matters of multiplayer maps. Otherwise, there is really no reason to care that much abut map sizes. We live in an age where 128 mb of space doesn't mean much at all. If you make a good map, people will download it regardless of the map's size.

5. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let's put it this way.
    If your map is of good quality, people will download it no matter the size.

Still, I'd aim for under 50mb for multiplayer maps.

6. Selaya

Selaya

Resources:
    Resources:
    The OP specifically asked for singleplayer. I do not believe it matters much for singleplayer, unless you're looking at a 300 MiB campaign.

For multiplayer, try to keep it below 1 MiB. Your map has to be like, really amazing to justify anything more. It's really annoying waiting for 10 people to download a 15 MiB map at 100 KiB/s because of hostbot throttling.

7. Kaijyuu

Kaijyuu

Resources:
    Resources:
    For campaigns the limit for me would be rather high (1-2 GB), but if you're adding models just to add models then yeah I'd consider that a flaw. The original art assets are versatile and useful; don't replace them just 'cause.