• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

"Too many custom models"/"map size too big"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Just a general question, really. At which point would you say that a map file is "too big", and has "too many" custom models imported? As in, it would discourage you from downloading it.

I'm asking especially concerning custom camapigns, not really multiplayer things. On a current project I'm working on, I have over 80 of my custom models imported so far and I realize that at this rate I'm gonna need to add a lot more - no end in sight, really

The point is rather a gray one. Normally, you avoid getting over 50 MB for a map unless the quality can be justified (like Ultimate Battle or Iceborn). For a campaign, usually 100 MB is pretty high of a number, though some exclusions existed (Tomoraider and Forsaken campaigns, as well as Turnro's).

As I said at the start, there's no actual point. The general rule of thumb is :
ONLY IMPORT MATERIALS AS NEEDED

The only issue with a big map size is that the MMH bots limit download speeds to 100 kb/s in the game lobby. This only matters of multiplayer maps. Otherwise, there is really no reason to care that much abut map sizes. We live in an age where 128 mb of space doesn't mean much at all. If you make a good map, people will download it regardless of the map's size.

Level 7
The OP specifically asked for singleplayer. I do not believe it matters much for singleplayer, unless you're looking at a 300 MiB campaign.

For multiplayer, try to keep it below 1 MiB. Your map has to be like, really amazing to justify anything more. It's really annoying waiting for 10 people to download a 15 MiB map at 100 KiB/s because of hostbot throttling.

Level 11
For campaigns the limit for me would be rather high (1-2 GB), but if you're adding models just to add models then yeah I'd consider that a flaw. The original art assets are versatile and useful; don't replace them just 'cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.