• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

To Channel, or not to Channel: teach me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Channel.

Apparently loved by spell makers.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea how to use it; but it appears to be my only salvation for my map idea.

Lets just run through what I know about Channel.

I know it's a dummy ability created by Blizzard - it's versatile, it can specify targets, one click, AoE, target ground, whatever. And I know it can change it's abilityID.

First, can anyone send me into the right direction for a guide on Channel?

And finally, the big question:

I need Channel to basically, be the basis for every single spell in my map. My map will work similar to Custom Hero Arena-style maps - you pick your own abilities. Unfortunately, all my abilities are active abilities, and I'm pretty sure that you can't have two spells with the same abilityID - which will most likely happen, if Channel didn't exist. I was going to use Channel and trigger all my abilities.

So, the question:

What kind of range does Channel change it's abilityID to? Do some abilityID's won't work with Channel? Anyone know which abilityID's?

EDIT: Not abilityID, order string ID. Silly me.

Last edited:
Level 19
Channel worx with every order string

Those wont work with orderstrings are abilities dont have order string by default (mostly item abilities)

Level 4
Is there a tutorial on the uses of channel and how to use channel somewhere? I too am interested in using it, but am unsure of where to start. I don't even know where channel is in the object editor!

Last edited:
Level 4
VERY nice tutorial, Knight7770. +REP for you. Thanks, it answered almost all of my questions.

One question, in your tutorial you said...

Level X - Data - Follow Through Time [Real]
This is the time it takes for the follow through time to end. Contact me if you don’t know what that means.

Uh, what is follow through?

Level 19
I have fulls of rep from lower than 10

Why we cant earn rep by helping newbies
Do we need to post 2 model screen shots ?

Level 4
Bah, it lets me type in a reason for the rep and everything... *sigh*. Sorry. I would give you rep if I could...

About the follow through, doesn't the unit continue channeling the skill during the whole duration unless it is interrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.