• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TKoK Stand Alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
A lot has changed since I started that first thread, (which is now locked due to it being old), such as game mechanics, story, combat, menus, stats, equipment and so on.. The past month I have been working on organizing all of my game assets and starting to construct the world.

I wanted to share some info about it.

Pretty much a year ago, I posted these: http://imgur.com/a/OKCxK#0
A bit cartoony, "WoW like" in terms of graphic style, look, feel. Keeping true to the origins of WC3.

3 Months ago, I posted some of these WiP shots:
http://imgur.com/a/skOJB#3 of a starting island I was using to test some of my new mechanics for combat, camera, controls

2 weeks ago, I posted these: http://imgur.com/a/pVHtZ#0
the opening zone: The Smugglers Grotto. Since these shots were posted, I have completed the zone, and have been making preparations to show my current workflow in a long overdue video.

I plan on showing how I setup the initial flat terrain, did 'Whiteboxing' to mapout the generic layout/flow, carved the terrain, and moved into all the detail layers, finishing it off with all the particle FX, splatmaps, and extra fine detail to finish it off.

I am hoping within the next 2 weeks to finish off my NPC interaction, Quest system, and Quest logs. Then onto enemy AI, so the true internal testing can begin.

Edit:
http://imgur.com/a/5so0J - more images of the finished area

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Glóin: ...I LIKE it!

Wow huge improvement. You're a relatively fast worker too, I wasn't expecting to see so much development in such a short time. Those guys that look like straw men are supposed to be humanoid? Guess you still haven't added shadows for them?

Level 11
Those guys that look like straw men are supposed to be humanoid? Guess you still haven't added shadows for them?

Actually, I don't even have any NPC/Player/Enemy models as of yet. The current player model is just a generic T-Model, unanimated, no bones, non-skinned mesh that just happens to be about the right size I want the player to be. There are no other NPCs in any of the scenes at the moment.

Those screen shots are also taken before I did any lightmap or AO baking. So the end quality will go up even higher in terms of shadows and AO depth.

I am trying as fast as I can to finish my NPC interaction system, quest log, and enemy AI so I can get a full out unpolished game system up and running. I want it to be finished within a month, but realisticly. I don't know if that's possible. Coding AI from scratch is completely new to me.

I only hope with 'WoW-like feel' you didnt mean keeping the current themepark structure of the wc3-map.
If you meant appropriately high lvled boss fights will feel as good as raid encounters then yes please.

wc3 map was very limited in terms of space and the end result showed that. Since space is unlimited here, Each Scene (map, area, whatever you wish to call it) will be highly detailed, more spacious, have plenty of meaningful quests that are not just "grab X of this item" or "kill Y of this enemy" and I will be sure to have each scene flow to keep the world more realistic.

Level 11
Most of the assets are paid assets from the Unity Asset Store as prefabs. World design, and larger structures build from prefabs are of my own design. I <3 lego style prefabs!

Level 14
I see, it sure are looked amazing, sir. This might be too early to ask, but since you're using paid assets, would you made the stand alone version of TKoK as a free game or need to pay? Because I'm eagerly wanted to checking this amazing works.

Level 11
Def would have to be paid, I have to recoop some of the expenses: I have about 8 paid asset bundles (including a script block, FX packages as well as models/textures) + Unity Pro itself.

Last weekend I went to make some more dev blog videos only to find out my headset microphone was busted. Got my new one in last night so I plan on getting all that together soon.

Edit:
Added this link to the first post: http://imgur.com/a/5so0J - more images of the finished area

Last edited:
Level 3
Looking good so far.

Will it be Multiplayer or Singleplayer? If multiplayer, what kind? MMO-like or Wc3-like?

Level 11
First version is going to be a single playing story telling and system testing game. I wish to follow it up with part2, keeping the bulk of the systems the same, but building a new world/environment that takes place afterwards that is multiplayer similar to how TKoK3 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.