• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thransaria

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Thransaria 2.5
My very first Template map
This template has been updated.

I used the default Barrens tileset for this map:ogre_haosis:.
I didn't use custom models for the map because I want to give it a classic Wacraft 3 map feeling.

This map is made up of 4 islands and one of it is a human village.
You can find this map useful if you make Campaigns and Cinematics. This map is inspired by the Official Orc Campaign.

New update:
*Bigger Islands.
*Waterfall.
*A user controlled hero which you can use to travel around the map.(Superblink hotkey=L)
*Added some units.

Got any suggestions for this map? Leave a reply with your suggestion and I will try to add it!

Can you rate my template? What should I improve?

If you are interested in using this template just make sure to add credits to me.

Keywords:
template, barrens, terrain, classic
Contents

Thransaria (Map)

Reviews
21:29, 13th May 2015 StoPCampinGn00b: See SF's review.
Level 21
Hmm this is your first template right? Well, it's not bad but you sohuld really work on this more. These are the issues I found in your map:

- The terrain is mostly water (and I guess it's intended) yet this really limits the usage of the map. If over 75% of the template is water, not only do you waste filesize but also restrict the playable area. Providing a larger part of land would be better since people can very easily change a beautiful landscape to water but not vice versa with the same simplicity!

- Having a look at the 4 islands, I notice they have common problems. One of them, for instance, is the lack of decorative doodads. Putting mostly trees and a few other environmental doodads is just not enough for a successful template. Another point is the lack of tile variation. I see you didn't even touch the tiles Dirt, Grassy Dirt and Rough Dirt. Why not? Especially in a template, it is much preferable to use all available tiles (hence sometimes people even add or replace tiles from other tilesets). Lastly, avoid making your islands so small and restricted. That part of the human village is far too tiny to be utilized for any purpose. Even worse is the bridge...

Unfortunately, your map isn't ready to be approved. I'd highly recommend working harder on this template, reading tutorials about terraining and then uploading a map of higher quality. For now, I am forced to vote for rejection but please don't give up for this.

Level 32
Requested Check Over
I structured it rather oddly, but it'll do :)

Not having a lot of water to conserve file size shouldn't be stressed. Those hunting for templates would be helpful for that demographic. But it all depends on what your vision of the map is an how you can improve it. So I won't go and call for radical change.

Back to the actual aesthetic of the map. It's a tidy looking one, but it simply is too small for people to care for. If a map was this size and has top notch quality, it would be rated high. But for now, your map's quality aesthetically wise isn't acceptable.

The way you used water and water doodads in this map does not look pleasant to the eyes for most I'd predict. It's too much of depressed feeling contrast. If you notice, there are a handful of barrens themed maps, not only templates, that change the water color. While blizzard usually keeps the color, they also keep barrens maps... well more barren than other type of maps. You don't have the barrens feeling in this map, especially with the vibrant sunken ruin trees, flowers, etc. I personally suggest you go one way or the other, that being a barren map or a lushes map. Changing the water color would be the first step.

Secondly, the doodad placement was only sub-par. Of course I'm not suggesting to spam it or make it extravagantly impressive (unless you have the effort to!), but to simply add more one by one that fit. A wise man once told me, decorate your map like your decorating your mothers house. If you don't think you could add more, downloading custom doodads and applying them appropriately might be your best bet in getting hire ratings. Places you an add doodads are near and on the boundary areas of the map, in the open water, and simply around other doodads to complement them. I don't recommend you add some in the open areas you intended you leave open.

Thirdly, I suggest you smooth your shores a bit more for a more blended look. Right now it almost seems like humans built these islands by dumping chunks of land in designated areas. The tile variation was fine all around. I don't think it can get too much better.

Good luck on your map, this stays as rejected for now.

Last edited: